PURPLE RAIN 40th Anniversary

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
I remember being 5 or 6 when this came out and people loosing their shyt. It’s a vague memory, but I was in NYC with my mom, her friend’s slightly older kids and gay brother, to try and get in Tower Records “I think it was” to get an album signed. We couldn’t get in because of the crowd. My mom had me on her shoulders and I just barely caught a glimpse of him going in the store.

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Sign O The Times is his best album but when you have multiple classic, flawless albums it's not a point worth pressing. Purple Rain is undeniable. Perfect.

It arrived at the perfect moment and gave Prince Rogers Nelson the number one album, single, and movie in America- at the same damn time!

Also, 2 other albums he produced (and wrote the songs on) sold well too. Ice Cream Castles by the Time went platinum. Sheila E’s Glamorous Life also sold well.

@Cat piss martini

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I was in 4th grade. I remember my brother brought a copy for himself and one for me on my birthday. I spun the shyt out this album. That whole era was def prime Prince all his other bands and proteges were just running the game. There are Prince albums that are better imo but this holds the most nostalgia for me.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Sign O The Times is his best album but when you have multiple classic, flawless albums it's not a point worth pressing. Purple Rain is undeniable. Perfect.
The fact Prince lost out to Lionel Richie and U2 for album of the year twice is a disgrace. No one talks about “Can’t Slow Down” or the “The Joshua Tree” as much as they do Purple Rain and Sign O’ The Times. SMH.

A category with Michael, Prince and Whitney lost to U2? :scust:

Last edited:
Daps
Played the entire album at my shop last night in honor :blessed: Had to skip "Darling Nikki" cause it's a family joint
Tv97Jf6.png

200w.gif