PSVR2 Press Previews are out (reviews are soaring)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Polygon said:
Last week, I tried Sony's new headset for the first time and was caught off guard by how stunning two of its marquee games, Horizon Call of the Mountainand Resident Evil Village, looked. They didn't rely on particles or stylized art direction; they looked like AAA console games that just happened to be in VR. The past few years of playing Quest had recalibrated my expectations for how VR games should appear, and it was great to see games pushing forward visually once again without requiring an elaborate setup.
Polygon on Horizon said:
One of the most beautiful games I've seen in VR, Call of the Mountain feels like a visual showcase for Sony's new headset. Leaves, wind, fire, explosions, and giant robots fill the sky as you make your way through a new Horizon story

The game will clock in at around six or seven hours, according to the developers, and combat will primarily consist of shooting arrows rather than the wild melee acrobatics seen in earlier games.

Eurogamer said:
Wow. Wow, wow, wow. That's the word that keeps springing to mind when I try to sum up my time with PlayStation VR2. As a fervent fan of VR for many years now, it's safe to say that my first hands-on experience with Sony's upcoming headset wowed my VR-loving socks off. This sleek and stylish unit was all I could have wanted for an upgraded PSVR headset and much, much more.

In terms of technological and visual quality, this feels like one of the more memorable generational console leaps. Experiencing the difference in visuals between the PSVR1 and the PSVR2 brought back memories of graduating to the sparkly, sharp, high-definition games of a PS3 after spending years playing games on the PS2 in standard definition

Gamespot on Horizon said:
Horizon Call of the Mountain is an impressive showpiece that makes compelling cases for pretty much every new hardware design and engineering choice made for the PSVR 2.
Gamespot on Horizon said:
The level of detail on display was genuinely overwhelming, mostly because I didn't expect it from a VR game. I know how dismissive that sounds of all the VR games out there, of which there are certainly more than a few impressive-looking ones. However, there's a clear line between the way a VR game and a non-VR game look--there's a level of richness, detail, and polish that separates the two. Horizon Call of the Mountain blurs that line on PSVR 2.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
The first company to make a real killer app in the VR space will strike gold.
I would argue that this game has already been made. It's Beat Saber. See block, hit block. That's the game. People aren't lining up to play Half-life Alyx, regardless of how amazing it is. Golf works in VR but we already have Walkabout Golf, another amazing game.

You have to give people a reason to want to play something in VR other than the only reason being that the game is in VR and it's the only way to play it.

I'm not truly convinced that gameplay in general can be evolved in VR enough to make it feasible financially so we will likely just continue to get prettier versions of games we already have, which I'm fine with.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I would argue that this game has already been made. It's Beat Saber. See block, hit block. That's the game. People aren't lining up to play Half-life Alyx, regardless of how amazing it is. Golf works in VR but we already have Walkabout Golf, another amazing game.

You have to give people a reason to want to play something in VR other than the only reason being that the game is in VR and it's the only way to play it.

I'm not truly convinced that gameplay in general can be evolved in VR enough to make it feasible financially so we will likely just continue to get prettier versions of games we already have, which I'm fine with.

Those arent killer apps, and neither is stuff like Horizon Call of the Mountain.

You need to make something social like an MMO / live service game to really get people to buy into VR.

First person to make something like Fortnite or GTAV on VR is really going to change things for the platform.