PS5 VRR on the way

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
shyt is beastly didn’t realize how good it was until I saw people talking about framerate dips in Elden Ring. Never even noticed that shyt w/ VRR

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Hopefully, this isn’t a business tactic to sell their TVs. Because they should have had this from the beginning.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hopefully, this isn’t a business tactic to sell their TVs. Because they should have had this from the beginning.

It doesn't seem to be a business tactic to sell TVs, but this DEFINITELY took this long because of the TVs.

TLDR version: this is most likely Mediatek's fault, since they manufacture the SoC Sony uses in their TVs, which dictates their support of HDMI 2.1 features, and they couldn't roll that feature out to the TVs until recently.

Long version: Mediatek's SoC platform for TVs are apparently less expensive to buy/license than develop in house, so Sony and Samsung use them. The drawback is that when it comes to HDMI 2.1 support, they're a little lacking. That's part of the reason you're still seeing TVs roll out with one or two HDMI 2.1 capable ports (with one of them being the eARC/ARC port, so really you've only got one if you're running a receiver or soundbar). I haven't seen anyone confirm it, but the idea is that those limitations played a part in the TVs not having VRR support, since they've been saying it was coming to the TVs for a couple years. Someone at Sony probably thought it best to hold off on making it a thing for the PS5 until they knew it would work on their own TVs first.

Daps
Reppin
The Ghetto of Oz
"...which will release in the months ahead." is crazy.

this is a feature they promoted the PS5 with in the original reveal, and here we are over a year after release with a "hold on a few months".

Damn.. here it is I thought they had it all along

PC >>>>

But I ain't supporting no wars.. buy everything, play
everything idgaf

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
It doesn't seem to be a business tactic to sell TVs, but this DEFINITELY took this long because of the TVs.

TLDR version: this is most likely Mediatek's fault, since they manufacture the SoC Sony uses in their TVs, which dictates their support of HDMI 2.1 features, and they couldn't roll that feature out to the TVs until recently.

Long version: Mediatek's SoC platform for TVs are apparently less expensive to buy/license than develop in house, so Sony and Samsung use them. The drawback is that when it comes to HDMI 2.1 support, they're a little lacking. That's part of the reason you're still seeing TVs roll out with one or two HDMI 2.1 capable ports (with one of them being the eARC/ARC port, so really you've only got one if you're running a receiver or soundbar). I haven't seen anyone confirm it, but the idea is that those limitations played a part in the TVs not having VRR support, since they've been saying it was coming to the TVs for a couple years. Someone at Sony probably thought it best to hold off on making it a thing for the PS5 until they knew it would work on their own TVs first.
Thank god for LG then :blessed: