Prodigy of Mobb Deep dead at 42

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly

Therht

Pro
Daps
Listened to Hell On Earth last night back-to-back (God bless repeat all).... Damn man nobody can't say that P wasn't top tier. A lot of us on here have been saying this since SOHH days but c'mon man listen to this nikka rap :mjcry:

Prodigy was such an amazing writer without being a rappity rap guy

unbelievable talent and artistry

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
Mobb Deep's Havoc on Prodigy's Death: 'I Still Can't Believe It'

Mobb Deep's Havoc on Prodigy's Death: 'I Still Can't Believe It'
"I'm still just fukked up," rapper says. "I can't even listen to 'Shook Ones' or any song"

rs-havoc-43f5197f-b087-4591-9d21-92076249f6ee.jpg

Havoc spoke about the death of Prodigy, his partner in the group Mobb Deep, in an interview with TMZ. Michael Loccisano/FilmMagic/Getty
Elias Leight
1 hour ago
Mobb Deep rapper Havoc did not initially believe the reports of his longtime collaborator Prodigy's death on Tuesday at age 42, according to TMZ. Prodigy had a long history of health troubles stemming from his battle with sickle cell anemia.

Prodigy: 10 Essential Tracks From the Mobb Deep MC

Rapper Prodigy died at the age of 42, but his legacy of mixing street-level grit with emotional heft lives on

"I knew that he was in the hospital, but I know that he's not dead – he goes to the hospital all the time," Havoc remembered thinking, in a video obtained by TMZ. "Rumors get around, dumb shyt. I was laughing to be honest with you, because I had not directly spoken to P[rodigy], but I knew his status every day since I left [Las] Vegas."

Just in case, Havoc put in a call to Mobb Deep's road manager, who delivered the news that Prodigy had died. "The road manager was just crying like I never heard before," Havoc recalled. "I'm still just fukked up. I can't even listen to 'Shook Ones' or any song. I can hardly look at the pictures … I still can't believe it."

Havoc was 15 years old when he met Prodigy; the two released their first album as Mobb Deep in 1993. Prodigy had been born with sickle cell anemia, so the duo was accustomed to working around his health issues. "We're used to P[rodigy] going to the hospital – not like every day, but we've been dealing with this for over 20 years," Havoc said. ""[He] goes to the hospital, stays in for three days, maybe five tops, and then he gets better and he's out. [So this time], it wasn't something to be like, 'oh my god, he's crazy sick!' It's like, sometimes he has sickle cell crisis."

Havoc thought that Prodigy's health was improving during his latest hospital visit. "I was checking up on him, calling my road manager to make sure – 'how P doing, he good?'" Havoc explained. "'He was in pain, but he's doing better.' Day two: he's even better, he's