Prequels (and interquels) generally suck

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The number of good prequels in all media can probably be counted on one or two hands tops.

Prequels are really just cheap cash-ins and filler. It's something writers do when they've creatively bankrupted a franchise. Really nobody sits around pining for some piece of backstory to get a full treatment after the fact. It's ironic that the poster child franchise for prequels and proving they suck is back at it again with stuff like Rogue One and a Han Solo prequel movie. They still haven't learned and I guess the fans are so desperate for new media they'll support it.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
It depends on the story. Because "Prequels/Interquels" have been in storytelling for ages. But when it comes to film and Hollywood I think George Lucas should be creditied with popularizing the "Prequel" but techincially though "Godfather 2" is sequel, it's actually a Prequel as well. The 2nd Indiana Jones film "Temple of Doom" though it's the sequel of "Radiers of the Lost Ark", it's actually a Prequel as it take place before "Radiers". "Phantom Menace" as uneven as it was changed the game and opened the door for hollywood's obession with "Prequels/Back story".

There is no "Batman Begins" without what Lucas did with Anakin/Darth Vader storyline in the prequels because he opened that door from a blockbuster/hollywood standpoint. So I give credit to George as well as a nod to Francis Ford Coppola for prequels/interquels being popular and overused in film. I don't think they suck all the time, it depends on the character and story. Darth Vader's backstory HAD to be told. Don Corleone backstory HAD to be told. I don't agree with Han Solo and I have my issues even with "Rouge One" as far as storytelling. So I agree that Hollywood is overdoing it with prequels. But Certain characeters deserve a full rounded story. If I was Lucasfilm the only character that deserves a solo film with more backstory is clearly Yoda.

220px-Godfather_part_ii.jpg

220px-Indiana_Jones_and_the_Temple_of_Doom_PosterB.jpg

220px-Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg

220px-Batman_Begins_Poster.jpg

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Bttf 3 is ok by me now buford was a legit villian biff was just a bully not even a real threat

Yeah I fukk with back to the future 3 a lot more now than I did as a kid.

There are definitely good sequels and prequels out there but obviously it's not a huge number because the idea of a sequel is to retread. But like cats have pointed out, things like empire strikes back and godfather 2 are at least on par with the original and maybe better depending on who you ask.

Batman begins, while not really a prequel could possibly count as one but then again it's the reboot of a whole series. But dark knight is incredible.

Temple of doom is a good example of one that works for the most part and then of course you have the good the bad and the ugly which is possibly my favorite prequel

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It depends on the story. Because "Prequels/Interquels" have been in storytelling for ages. But when it comes to film and Hollywood I think George Lucas should be creditied with popularizing the "Prequel" but techincially though "Godfather 2" is sequel, it's actually a Prequel as well. The 2nd Indiana Jones film "Temple of Doom" though it's the sequel of "Radiers of the Lost Ark", it's actually a Prequel as it take place before "Radiers". "Phantom Menace" as uneven as it was changed the game and opened the door for hollywood's obession with "Prequels/Back story".

There is no "Batman Begins" without what Lucas did with Anakin/Darth Vader storyline in the prequels because he opened that door from a blockbuster/hollywood standpoint. So I give credit to George as well as a nod to Francis Ford Coppola for prequels/interquels being popular and overused in film. I don't think they suck all the time, it depends on the character and story. Darth Vader's backstory HAD to be told. Don Corleone backstory HAD to be told. I don't agree with Han Solo and I have my issues even with "Rouge One" as far as storytelling. So I agree that Hollywood is overdoing it with prequels. But Certain characeters deserve a full rounded story. If I was Lucasfilm the only character that deserves a solo film with more backstory is clearly Yoda.

220px-Godfather_part_ii.jpg

220px-Indiana_Jones_and_the_Temple_of_Doom_PosterB.jpg

220px-Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg

220px-Batman_Begins_Poster.jpg
Batman Begins is a reboot. Godfather II is a sequel with flashbacks. Real prequels are writers taking undefined pieces of backstory and giving them a full treatment after the fact. That full treatment is basically just filler because you know how it begins and you know how it ends so what happened between isn't really that important and like I said you find whole characters and plot threads in prequels that were written after the original was made that aren't referenced in the original because they didn't exist.

Prequels are like Naruto filler. And Darth Vader's backstory didn't need to be told. It ended up being a direct assault on the character demystifying him and eroding the full appeal of the character. We find out he was an annoying hothead that didn't listen to anybody and generally was an unlikable a$$hole. Why did we need to know all that again?

Nuke Dukem

Da Bears
Daps
Reppin
Windy City
The number of good prequels in all media can probably be counted on one or two hands tops.

Prequels are really just cheap cash-ins and filler. It's something writers do when they've creatively bankrupted a franchise. Really nobody sits around pining for some piece of backstory to get a full treatment after the fact. It's ironic that the poster child franchise for prequels and proving they suck is back at it again with stuff like Rogue One and a Han Solo prequel movie. They still haven't learned and I guess the fans are so desperate for new media they'll support it.
Does better call Saul count... Not as good as BB, but still dope too me

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Batman Begins is a reboot. Godfather II is a sequel with flashbacks. Real prequels are writers taking undefined pieces of backstory and giving them a full treatment after the fact. That full treatment is basically just filler because you know how it begins and you know how it ends so what happened between isn't really that important and like I said you find whole characters and plot threads in prequels that were written after the original was made that aren't referenced in the original because they didn't exist.

Prequels are like Naruto filler. And Darth Vader's backstory didn't need to be told. It ended up being a direct assault on the character demystifying him and eroding the full appeal of the character. We find out he was an annoying hothead that didn't listen to anybody and generally was an unlikable a$$hole. Why did we need to know all that again?

Yeah I'm with you. I'd argue that temple of doom and good the bad and the ugly are the only two good prequels or even decent ones. I can't think of any others off the top of my head. I'm sure someone has a list of them tho

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yeah I'm with you. I'd argue that temple of doom and good the bad and the ugly are the only two good prequels or even decent ones. I can't think of any others off the top of my head. I'm sure someone has a list of them tho
Temple of Doom was only a prequel because Lucas didn't want Nazis to be villains again from what I heard. It wasn't really conceptualized to be a prequel like most of the ones we see.
Does better call Saul count... Not as good as BB, but still dope too me
I haven't gotten into that yet but I look at that a bit differently because that's actually a character I'd want to have more screen time. Still I don't see why they couldn't make his series a sequel as well because he was fine after Breaking Bad. In fact I remember watching the first episode and it was taking place in parts after Breaking Bad.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Temple of Doom was only a prequel because Lucas didn't want Nazis to be villains again from what I heard. It wasn't really conceptualized to be a prequel like most of the ones we see.

I haven't gotten into that yet but I look at that a bit differently because that's actually a character I'd want to have more screen time. Still I don't see why they couldn't make his series a sequel as well because he was fine after Breaking Bad. In fact I remember watching the first episode and it was taking place in parts after Breaking Bad.

Yeah it's not conceptualzied that way but it still is a prequel. It takes place before the first in the series which makes it a prequel. I don't think the word "prequel" means that the quality will automatically be inferior

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

WTF is an Interquel?