Predictions for Africa in the 20's

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
map-of-africa.jpg

africa-map.gif

Been meaning to make this thread for a few months

Interested in hearing what you all think will happen across Africa over the course of the decade

-Which economies do you think will see sustained growth? Which economies will stagnate or enter a period of decline?
-Which nations will see political stability? Which nations do you believe will have internal crises, and what will the nature of these crises be?
-What are some things/events you'd like to see happen? What are some things you believe can't happen over the decade?
-Do you foresee any wars between African nations?
-How will climate change effect Africa, and which African nations will be affected the most?

Feel free to answer any of these questions or give your own general thoughts, and likewise feel free to answer for a specific nation/region if you'd prefer

Last edited:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Y'all gotta take Egypt for the culture :banderas:

We’ve outmaneuvered them pretty well. Defenses all around the dam, they’ve gotta deal with the Libya situation, the UN is recommending diplomacy, and countries like UAE is an Ethiopian ally. Plus they have no countries near us that’ll let them set up a base. But by all means let them deal with two fronts in Eastern Libya and northwestern Ethiopia. We’ll see how long America’s top 3 charity case is able to do that.

Egypt should’ve negotiated in good faith instead of tryna always sabotage and act all bytchmade. Now they can go fukk themselves.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Great thread. Some of my thoughts on countries and regions from my experiences, recent trends etc:

-With the 2Africa project coming to head in 2023, we'll see a big push for big tech and data into the African continent. Cities (and the respective countries) that get connected with the cable (Lagos, Accra, Abidjan, Cape Town, Mombasa etc) will be heads and tails above the rest.

-Nigeria either gets it act together or will gradually move towards a powder keg type situation. On one hand, it's still the biggest market in Africa so there will international interest in the economy, however, if government policy isn't conducive for investment, I could see a lot of Multinationals start moving their West African operations from Lagos to Accra. The 2023 election will be huge for the country. PMB actually should make all of the necessary but unpopular decisions now that he's in his last term and doesn't need political good will so to speak. Nigeria's debt profile will also start becoming an issue.

-Large oil exporters (Nigeria, Gabon, Angola etc) will be forced to rethink government revenues and income streams as oil will play less of a role in the 2020s. For a country like Nigeria, the private sector is only about 15% based on oil, however, the government sector collects most of its revenue from oil. Diversification and implementation of a proper tax system is needed.

-East Africa will play a larger role on the continents politics and business. Nairobi already has the UN's Africa office and Adis house's the AU. Rwanda has ambitions of being the transit hub of Africa since it can service both West, Southern and North Africa pretty well.

-Renewable energy is going to become much bigger on the continent, especially solar for the Sahelian nations.

-ISIS/ISWAS will become a bigger for, particularly in the West Sahelian states. Expect to see more military intervention on that front.

-Industrialization will not be at the scale needed to lift millions out of poverty. We may not see an industrial revolution on the scale of what happened in China or the south Eastern nations due to the advancements in technology.

-There may not be a full blown reverse migration of the African diaspora, but I could definitely see people doing more of a flexible arrangement where they're on the continent for a few months and back in the West for another few months.

-Nations with a sizable and relatively wealthy diaspora will look abroad for capital funding (Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana etc). I expect to see formalized programs/schemes that will try to generate government revenue from citizens abroad.

-Francophone West Africa will start to compete/outpace Anglophone West Africa. France will look to combat the influence of China and Russia, to do so, it'll have to put it money where it's mouth it.

-Overall, I think this is a critical decade for the African continent. We'll see an emergence of African nations that will better hold their weight on the international stage e.g. Ghana, TZ, Kenya, SA but no real "leader" will emerge.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
Congo, Nigeria, Ethiopia, South Africa probably going to see an upsurge in Yuan
Due to ongoing strife in Middle-East, I don't predict much prosperity places in North Africa like Egypt and Somalia, but I hope I'm wrong.

Bold prediction? Nollywood blowing up.

Nigeria produces more films than Hollywood, second only to Bollywood, the difference is they don't have nearly the same funding.
We just saw the dude for Parasite win best director, given the absolute BASURA Hollywood has wanted to put out, mainly focusing on serial comic book movies, I think there's a genuine demand for interesting films from non-American perspectives.
It just takes some crafty Chinese oligarch with nothing to lose to try and become the first big studio :manny:

edit: I forgot Ghana, they seem to want to make big moves :salute:

Last edited:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Anyone know what happened to the proposed East African Federation?

Last I saw, South Sudan might get in the mix. My dream is for the whole East Africa and the Indian Ocean islands nearest to the coast becoming one regional state so I’m all for the EA project. But there would need to be a total revamp in politics and economics for it to be successful imo. I’ve written mini-manifestos on this shyt so it’s definitely on my radar.

qwer

Banned
Daps
Great thread. Some of my thoughts on countries and regions from my experiences, recent trends etc:

-With the 2Africa project coming to head in 2023, we'll see a big push for big tech and data into the African continent. Cities (and the respective countries) that get connected with the cable (Lagos, Accra, Abidjan, Cape Town, Mombasa etc) will be heads and tails above the rest.

-Nigeria either gets it act together or will gradually move towards a powder keg type situation. On one hand, it's still the biggest market in Africa so there will international interest in the economy, however, if government policy isn't conducive for investment, I could see a lot of Multinationals start moving their West African operations from Lagos to Accra. The 2023 election will be huge for the country. PMB actually should make all of the necessary but unpopular decisions now that he's in his last term and doesn't need political good will so to speak. Nigeria's debt profile will also start becoming an issue.

-Large oil exporters (Nigeria, Gabon, Angola etc) will be forced to rethink government revenues and income streams as oil will play less of a role in the 2020s. For a country like Nigeria, the private sector is only about 15% based on oil, however, the government sector collects most of its revenue from oil. Diversification and implementation of a proper tax system is needed.

-East Africa will play a larger role on the continents politics and business. Nairobi already has the UN's Africa office and Adis house's the AU. Rwanda has ambitions of being the transit hub of Africa since it can service both West, Southern and North Africa pretty well.

-Renewable energy is going to become much bigger on the continent, especially solar for the Sahelian nations.

-ISIS/ISWAS will become a bigger for, particularly in the West Sahelian states. Expect to see more military intervention on that front.

-Industrialization will not be at the scale needed to lift millions out of poverty. We may not see an industrial revolution on the scale of what happened in China or the south Eastern nations due to the advancements in technology.

-There may not be a full blown reverse migration of the African diaspora, but I could definitely see people doing more of a flexible arrangement where they're on the continent for a few months and back in the West for another few months.

-Nations with a sizable and relatively wealthy diaspora will look abroad for capital funding (Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana etc). I expect to see formalized programs/schemes that will try to generate government revenue from citizens abroad.

-Francophone West Africa will start to compete/outpace Anglophone West Africa. France will look to combat the influence of China and Russia, to do so, it'll have to put it money where it's mouth it.

-Overall, I think this is a critical decade for the African continent. We'll see an emergence of African nations that will better hold their weight on the international stage e.g. Ghana, TZ, Kenya, SA but no real "leader" will emerge.
Who do you think will win Nigeria 2023 election? When do you think industrialization will hit the continent

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Who do you think will win Nigeria 2023 election? When do you think industrialization will hit the continent

On the 2023 election, honestly, I don't know. APC has some internal struggles and I'm not sure who PDP is looking to bring forward. My hope is it goes to someone with competent policy.

On industrialization coming to Africa, to be honest, it'll be a long time. East Asia has heavy manufacturing on lock right now. Africa could definitely do light manufacturing/final processing. If anything, this Covid situation has some companies thinking about breaking up their supply chains to be less dependent on anyone country/region.

My guess is it’ll swing to another major group since the Muslim North got its turn in office. Who knows tho...
Not sure about this. There are murmurs that the political cabal wants to bring someone else from the North since Yar'dua died while in office and the North never got to "complete" their term.

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
Last I saw, South Sudan might get in the mix. My dream is for the whole East Africa and the Indian Ocean islands nearest to the coast becoming one regional state so I’m all for the EA project. But there would need to be a total revamp in politics and economics for it to be successful imo. I’ve written mini-manifestos on this shyt so it’s definitely on my radar.

That would be so dope :banderas:

Just make sure you hook a hustlin ass Naija breh with citizenship when it does.

What do you see as Ethiopia's biggest challenges right now?

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
That would be so dope :banderas:

Just make sure you hook a hustlin ass Naija breh with citizenship when it does.

What do you see as Ethiopia's biggest challenges right now?

Maaaan, the whole Africa and Diaspora would have to pull up if that ever actually happened.

As for Ethiopia, the Dam is the number 1 issue. Corona has disrupted elections which could make for a real political issue later this year if elections aren’t had, the outlying areas have issues with ethnic violence and mass displacement as well as people making dangerous migrations to Yemen and Libya for better opportunities.

With all that said I think the future is bright. Once the dam is completed, the next step has to be harnessing that energy to create an industrial sector to provide more jobs which will bring down the tensions in the country. The other plus is that the average age of the population is very young and still growing so that can provide a large workforce.

The ET diaspora has also been getting involved. Some build homes and go in the summer and others move back and start businesses or bring their expertises in needed fields. There is also a slowly growing pop. of African Diasporans (including the Americas) whom are also bringing expertise and businesses to the country.

Overall, I think the country has a bright future but has to be very vigilant against disruptive forces and there needs to be a continuation of the progress of the last decade. By the end of the 20s Ethiopia could either be near Middle Power state or in total ethnic chaos. Given that it has good relations with most of its neighbors including Eritrea, I think things will end up going positively.

I’d ask @Enzo too he’s on the ground so he’d have more insight than me.

Last edited:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
On the 2023 election, honestly, I don't know. APC has some internal struggles and I'm not sure who PDP is looking to bring forward. My hope is it goes to someone with competent policy.

On industrialization coming to Africa, to be honest, it'll be a long time. East Asia has heavy manufacturing on lock right now. Africa could definitely do light manufacturing/final processing. If anything, this Covid situation has some companies thinking about breaking up their supply chains to be less dependent on anyone country/region.

Not sure about this. There are murmurs that the political cabal wants to bring someone else from the North since Yar'dua died while in office and the North never got to "complete" their term.

Lowkey I was wondering about this while I answered. But my wonder is if the other groups will go for that? I think the North has a fair argument, plus they’ve historically been left out so this can help further involve the North with the rest of Nigeria.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Lowkey I was wondering about this while I answered. But my wonder is if the other groups will go for that? I think the North has a fair argument, plus they’ve historically been left out so this can help further involve the North with the rest of Nigeria.

It doesn't matter because the North has allegiance of the smaller ethnic groups/nationalities so they'll tend to have the numbers to always favor. If you look at the map below, the "North" which is usually interchanged with the Fulani-Hausa bloc, isn't as big of bloc as it currently is understood.

6173116_newnpm_png69e46540b80e26d9ea0c1ffa4e0498fe

However, one reason the North has been able to consolidate power has been due to the alignment of the middle belt (which doesn't have a clear cut ethnic majority) into the "North". See this map below.

Map-of-Nigeria-showing-the-six-6-geopolitical-zones-For-interpretation-of-the.png

So the North has the numbers to always counter a southern based movement. Additionally, the Yorubas (represented in the South-West) has usually aligned themselves with the Northern political elite in return for favourable allocations for Lagos. It also doesn't help that the South-South and the South East (what would have been Biafra) aren't aligned on objectives.

There is a business case for Nigeria, do not get it twisted. But the current incentives aren't well aligned.