PlayStation Plus Strategy - Full Presentation From April 2023

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Looks like @MeachTheMonster @Leasy @Pressure myself and a few others have been almost 100 percent accurate.

PlayStation once again gonna try and run someone else's play book. The only problem this time is MS got ahead of them :wow:

Sony Stan's told me a lot of this stuff doesn't happen and wouldn't happen.

Looks like BAU to me. They plan to expand streaming which was obvious but no day and date games available on PC upon launch or added to the subscription service.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Microsoft doing such a terrible job sony decided to follow their blueprint :wow:

Looks like BAU to me. They plan to expand streaming which was obvious but no day and date games available on PC upon launch or added to the subscription service.
It actually does talk about day one releases being important to grow the service :ehh:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Microsoft doing such a terrible job sony decided to follow their blueprint :wow:

It actually does talk about day one releases being important to grow the service :ehh:
Not their traditional AAA single player games. Stuff like Stray and live service games. This leak had documented evidence that putting those main games on the service early harmed copies sold.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
No, that’s not what it says. You made all that up. :ehh:
As it stands the economics of their AAA fair doesn't work on a subscription service day one and they've reiterated that many times. They can't recoup their budgets putting those games day 1 on a subscription service because sales fall off at retail and the subscription income doesn't make up for that.

Do you need a link to the executives at the company that have said if we do that we can't continue to make those quality games because we won't make enough back to reinvest in making them or are you just gonna keep playing dumb about it?

Lempel
Yoshida
Ryan

Insomniac's thoughts on the matter. This isn't even day one inclusion it's going into year 2 inclusion
Screenshot_2023-12-20_065537.png

db12133ed4b80a082aaa684613a6d2e3.png

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
People not fundamentally getting that Microsoft could do Game Pass because the parent company prints 10s of billions in net income a month and also because their AAA output was so anemic they could promise their games on their service day 1 since they don't put out that many and they don't sell anywhere near as much as the higher selling Sony AAA games.

They go on a buying spree acquiring studios and once that happens the price of Game Pass which hasn't risen since it's inception coincidentally goes up. As their studios start putting out more and more games I wouldn't be surprised to see the price of Game Pass rise again.

They're taking losses on these games being on a subscription service day one and using it as a loss leader since they can afford it but they're not going to want to eat those losses indefinitely so I'd expect price movement and eventually the abolishment of Gold conversion.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Gives us a TLDR because I am not going through 69 slides
The HD console market is capped at about 185 or so million customers. It hasn't substantially grown past that number in about 3 generations now. Sony has been pulling console customers away from Microsoft but they're racing towards that capped number and once they reach it they face difficulty in growing their company.

They're exploring other avenues for growth not limited to consoles. Like subscription services, mobile, PCs. Sony has looked at the moves Microsoft has been making and acknowledged that Microsoft is being more forward thinking than they have been. The long of the short is Sony is exploring how to move so they're prepared for a world beyond consoles.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
As it stands the economics of their AAA fair doesn't work on a subscription service day one and they've reiterated that many times. They can't recoup their budgets putting those games day 1 on a subscription service because sales fall off at retail and the subscription income doesn't make up for that.

Do you need a link to the executives at the company that have said if we do that we can't continue to make those quality games because we won't make enough back to reinvest in making them or are you just gonna keep playing dumb about it?

Lempel
Yoshida
Ryan

Insomniac's thoughts on the matter. This isn't even day one inclusion it's going into year 2 inclusion
Screenshot_2023-12-20_065537.png

db12133ed4b80a082aaa684613a6d2e3.png
Obviously a game being on a subscription service means the game would sell less on that platform,

But that has nothing to do with them acknowledging that day and date titles are needed to make the service grow.

It’s gonna be up to them to figure out how much to invest in day one and high profile games in order to promote the service.