Playstation 4 Is In It's ''Final Stages'' Of Life Cycle

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
The PS4 era is entering its final stages. Speaking to investors, PlayStationboss John Kodera outlined the company's three-year roadmap and it seems console sales are not expected to be a major source of revenue going forward. This is largely due to declining sales which is, Kodera notes, typical of the usual profit- and life-cycle of consoles. It does also suggest a new console might be on its way -- likely the PS5 -- but Kodera didn't give away any specifics.

However, he did note that the company plans to "crouch down" until March 2021, which might be when we see a new offering, although it's likely he's alluding to an expected slowdown in profits until that time, while the company fortifies itself against the drops in fortune it's seen with other console generations. Its online services are doing well to bridge that gap, though. Playstation Plus grew by 60 percent in the two years leading up to April 2018, and the company plans to capitalize on that by adding new games and creating exclusive game franchises to further boost numbers.

The whole statement is largely designed to reassure investors that all is well, and it is, save for PSVR and Vue, both of which are performing below expectations. Again, no specifics on how PlayStation plans to tackle that beyond "increasing user engagement", but Kodera seems unfazed, noting that the company will aim for more "realistic" growth in the coming period.

The PS4 (RIP) hit the shelves just eight months after it was announced, while the PS3 took 18 months to arrive following its announcement. So how long we'll have to wait for the next PlayStation console is anyone's guess. It's clear, though, that official announcements won't be made for a while -- maybe even a couple of years -- but as long as the company can stick to its current trajectory, it's definitely on its way.

Update: This post has been updated to more clearly reflect that PS4 sales are not expected to be a major revenue source in the future.

Sony says it’s the beginning of the end for PS4

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
2020 is the latest PS5 should drop with fall 2019 being the earliest. I find 2021 is too late and xbox 2 will probably drop for sure in 2020.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
yea. i mean they fighting for the living room when just about all of our media has made into the mobile space. remote play and all that shyt needs to be the focus not an afterthought

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
yea. i mean they fighting for the living room when just about all of our media has made into the mobile space. remote play and all that shyt needs to be the focus not an afterthought
The PS5 needs to be able to remote play off any smartphone/tablet device and be able to plug/Bluetooth your PS controller

And VR need to be wireless and less heavy

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
2020 is the latest PS5 should drop with fall 2019 being the earliest. I find 2021 is too late and xbox 2 will probably drop for sure in 2020.
You think so, breh?

I kind of get the feeling that they are going to continue w/ the Xbox ecosystem that's been cultivated by this gen.

What do you think of the chance that they'll end up having more of a "expiration date" of the OG Xbox One as opposed to a release date of an entirely new flagship console. Essentially, informing the industry that "beginning year 202_, we will be sending off the OG Xbox One all new titles that will be released will only be tailored towards the X & beyond to ensure the highest quality...etc."

Coupled w/ deals and promos, they'd be able to give opportunities for the slower moving consumers to transition from the OG without feeling like they are leaving the console.

You might be right, but I don't see why an Xbox 2 would make sense considering how they've been able to make Xbox One X feel like such a superior system than it's older brother while still making it feel so similar.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You think so, breh?

I kind of get the feeling that they are going to continue w/ the Xbox ecosystem that's been cultivated by this gen.

What do you think of the chance that they'll end up having more of a "expiration date" of the OG Xbox One as opposed to a release date of an entirely new flagship console. Essentially, informing the industry that "beginning year 202_, we will be sending off the OG Xbox One all new titles that will be released will only be tailored towards the X & beyond to ensure the highest quality...etc."

Coupled w/ deals and promos, they'd be able to give opportunities for the slower moving consumers to transition from the OG without feeling like they are leaving the console.

You might be right, but I don't see why an Xbox 2 would make sense considering how they've been able to make Xbox One X feel like such a superior system than it's older brother while still making it feel so similar.

I see them having the one X and xbox 2 and phasing out the xbox one by the time PS5 drops That way they can launch a new console to keep up with Sony and have an entry level to the new games at a cheaper price. The one X dropped in 2017 so in 2020 it makes sense for them to drop the Xbox 2.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
I see them having the one X and xbox 2 and phasing out the xbox one by the time PS5 drops That way they can launch a new console to keep up with Sony and have an entry level to the new games at a cheaper price. The one X dropped in 2017 so in 2020 it makes sense for them to drop the Xbox 2.
I see your point.

Do you think the Xbox X & 2 will be able to play games together? And, same question regarding Sony, do you think PS4 & PS5ers will be able to play games together?

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
That is perfectly fine. A late 2018 release would have been great, but we all know how sensitive gamers are.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I see your point.

Do you think the Xbox X & 2 will be able to play games together? And, same question regarding Sony, do you think PS4 & PS5ers will be able to play games together?

I think Xbox one X and 2 will be able to play the same games until the Xbox 2 X comes out. As for PS4 and PS5 there will be cross gen titles but the heavy hitting exclusives are going to be for PS5. I think Sony will stick to the generational thing but offer Backwards compatibility to maintain the games.