Physical XB1 version of COD-Blops Cold War CANNOT be upgraded to Series X

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
What the hell does that even mean?
Will the physical version for Xbox series x cost more than the physical version of the ps5/ps4 ?
I must be reading this wrong because I don’t understand the problem here?
If the Xbox series x version comes with a code for the Xbox 1 version why not just buy the series x version whether or not you have one yet?
I think people are misunderstanding, there's only gonna be one copy for xbox and that copy will be compatible with current and next gen consoles.

The game should install from the disk on whatever system you buy it for.

The wording of the article makes it sound like Sony is getting a better deal but it only says that the physical series x copy cant be upgraded to "digital".

Doesn't say anything about series x not getting a next gen patch at all, and quite frankly what good is a free "digital" upgrade when you still need to pop the disk in to play?

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War physical Xbox One version can’t be upgraded to Series X, unlike PS4 to PS5 | News Break

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War physical Xbox One version can't be upgraded to Series X, unlike PS4 to PS5 - VG247

This is outrageous. What will the buyers of COD on XB1X (Currently the world's most powerful console before November 2020, a whopping 六TF of POWER enabling true 4K as of late 2017) do? :whoo:

:mjlol:
i buy digital so i could care less...told yall nikkas get that internal storage up

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think people are misunderstanding, there's only gonna be one copy for xbox and that copy will be compatible with current and next gen consoles.

The game should install from the disk on whatever system you buy it for.

The wording of the article makes it sound like Sony is getting a better deal but it only says that the physical series x copy cant be upgraded to "digital".

Doesn't say anything about series x not getting a next gen patch at all, and quite frankly what good is a free "digital" upgrade when you still need to pop the disk in to play?
X1 version says Series X on there but doesn't work on it and can't be upgraded and will just be the same X1 version.

Series X version works on both but the problem is they both look pretty much the same so I can see someone buying the X1 version thinking it works on both and end up not being able to upgrade.

X1
ps4-xb1-sml.jpg

ps5-xsx-sml.jpg

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
X1 version says Series X on there but doesn't work on it and can't be upgraded and will just be the same X1 version.

Series X version works on both but the problem is they both look pretty much the same so I can see someone buying the X1 version thinking it works on both and end up not being able to upgrade.

X1
ps4-xb1-sml.jpg

ps5-xsx-sml.jpg
How do you know it wont be playable on series X?

Both box arts have both systems listed on the box as compatible. The article only says that the upgrade wont be the digital copy.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How do you know it wont be playable on series X?

Both box arts have both systems listed on the box as compatible.
I meant to say, it won't work as in play the Series X version of it if you buy the first one that doesn't have the two stickers on it yet the boxart still says "series X" in the top left corner.

it creates an issue where someone can mistakenly buy the Physical X1 disc thinking they'll be getting an upgraded version or even an option whereas the PS4 version can be upgraded to a digital version.

It's like this. PS4 version? Can upgrade to PS5 version digitally.

PS5 version only PS5
Xbox 1 disc version? Can be played on both but cannot be upgraded digitally.

Series X version? Has both versions on there. Box arts look pretty much the same though so you have to be careful.

You have to specifically get the bottom one that has the sticker on the bottom right. I can see people making a mistake and buying the original X1 version and just seeing "Series X" on there and thinking they're getting the next gen version included.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Series X version? Has both versions on there. Box arts look pretty much the same though so you have to be careful.
But the article doesn't say that. The article just says that the ps4 users will get a free digital copy of the game. That doesn't mean series x wont get a free upgrade, it just wont be in digital form unless u bought a digital copy.

Pay attention to the wording used in the article, it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Both boxarts list both systems as compatible, one just has a bit more series x marketing.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But the article doesn't say that. The article just says that the ps4 users will get a free digital copy of the game. That doesn't mean series x wont get a free upgrade, it just wont be in digital form unless u bought a digital copy.

Pay attention to the wording used in the article, it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Both boxarts list both systems as compatible, one just has a bit more series x marketing.
There’s the $70 Next-Gen Bundle, of course, and the option to upgrade digital editions within the same console family. When it comes to moving forward a disc-based version of Black Ops Cold War, the option is available – but only on PS4..

There is no free digital copy of the game, you have to either buy the next gen bundle for $70 or upgrade the PS4 version for $10 on the store. If it was free you'd just buy the regular $59.99 version and when PS5 come out have it upgraded for free like in the case of Avengers or other games.
In a detailed FAQ, Activision confirmed that those who opt for a physical copy on PS4 will be able to purchase an upgrade (through the store) that turns their copy digital on PS5. You’ll still need the original PS4 disc inserted into your PS5 console to play, of course, meaning this move isn’t possible for those getting the PS5’s disc-less Digital Edition.
Xbox 1 physical version cannot be upgraded to the next gen version like the PS4 version can.

However, the same option is not available to Xbox One players. Those who pick up a physical Xbox One copy of Black Ops Cold War will not have the ability to upgrade to a digital version on Series X. It’s not clear why that’s the case, especially seeing as the digital version can be upgraded on both console families.

Only the digital versions can. Basically, if you buy the X1 physical version, you cannot upgrade it at all(as of right now) to the digital XSX version.

Last edited:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War physical Xbox One version can’t be upgraded to Series X, unlike PS4 to PS5 | News Break

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War physical Xbox One version can't be upgraded to Series X, unlike PS4 to PS5 - VG247

This is outrageous. What will the buyers of COD on XB1X (Currently the world's most powerful console before November 2020, a whopping 六TF of POWER enabling true 4K as of late 2017) do? :whoo:

:mjlol:
The real story here is this...
So we gonna ignore the lead gameplay architect of the game saying the ps4 version is better?
We gonna ignore the inferior multiplats compared to the ps4?
I mean, like, seriously. Are we gonna ignore the inferior multiplats compared to the Xbox series X?

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
There is no free digital copy of the game, you have to either buy the next gen bundle for $70 or upgrade the PS4 version for $10 on the store. If it was free you'd just buy the regular $59.99 version and when PS5 come out have it upgraded for free like in the case of Avengers or other games.

Xbox 1 physical version cannot be upgraded to the next gen version like the PS4 version can.

Only the digital versions can. Basically, if you buy the X1 physical version, you cannot upgrade it at all(as of right now) to the digital XSX version.
You're right

The Activision page says you have to buy the ultimate edition or the cross gen bundle to get the upgrade on series x.

They're letting you buy the upgrade for the standard edition on ps5.

Both last gen copies will work for next gen systems but wont get the next gen patches.

Activision is on some bullshyt

:snoop:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You're right

The Activision page says you have to buy the ultimate edition or the cross gen bundle to get the upgrade on series x.

They're letting you buy the upgrade for the standard edition on ps5.

Both last gen copies will work for next gen systems but wont get the next gen patches.

Activision is on some bullshyt

:snoop:
I don't see why this is the case, it seems kind of counter intuitive especially with MSFT always touting smart delivery. I think this will be fixed.

Beer Drinker

Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The fact that so many gamers are in here confused means that this was worded ultra poorly whatever the case winds up being.

Why would they write the shyt that way?

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I don't see why this is the case, it seems kind of counter intuitive especially with MSFT always touting smart delivery. I think this will be fixed.
This sounds like an Activision problem.

I dont know why they'd lock the upgrade behind the more expensive version of the game on one system and not the other.

Microsoft will have to fight for that smart delivery

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The real story here is this...

I mean, like, seriously. Are we gonna ignore the inferior multiplats compared to the Xbox series X?

I wasnt aware the games were out yet.... We've seen the power of the Series X already though. Im so scared

c51.jpg

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
To be honest we're going to have these problems on both consoles when it comes to 3rd party BC and upgrades.

Hitman 3 for example has free upgrades for both consoles. However on PS4 only if you buy the game digitally. If I want to play my disc I'll have to buy a PS5 version. Xbox free upgrade smart delivery.

TL;DR. Expect fukkery on both platforms.