Physical XB1 version of COD-Blops Cold War CANNOT be upgraded to Series X

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War physical Xbox One version can’t be upgraded to Series X, unlike PS4 to PS5 | News Break

There’s the $70 Next-Gen Bundle, of course, and the option to upgrade digital editions within the same console family. When it comes to moving forward a disc-based version of Black Ops Cold War, the option is available – but only on PS4.

In a detailed FAQ, Activision confirmed that those who opt for a physical copy on PS4 will be able to purchase an upgrade (through the store) that turns their copy digital on PS5. You’ll still need the original PS4 disc inserted into your PS5 console to play, of course, meaning this move isn’t possible for those getting the PS5’s disc-less Digital Edition.

However, the same option is not available to Xbox One players. Those who pick up a physical Xbox One copy of Black Ops Cold War will not have the ability to upgrade to a digital version on Series X. It’s not clear why that’s the case, especially seeing as the digital version can be upgraded on both console families.

Conversely, the Xbox Series X physical edition includes a copy for Xbox One, meaning the disc can be used across both Xbox generations. This fact is even noted on the cover, with a sticker clearly indicating cross-gen compatibility. The same is not true for PS5, as that console’s disc version only works on the next-gen console.

black_ops_cold_war_ps5_xbox_series_x_disc_cover.jpg

Physical exertion
If you buy a physical copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War on PS4, you can upgrade the game to a PS5 digital version through the PlayStation Store – for a nominal fee, of course. However, if you buy a physical copy of Black Ops Cold War on Xbox One, you cannot upgrade it to an Xbox Series X version. Instead, you’ll need to buy the game on Xbox Series X.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War physical Xbox One version can't be upgraded to Series X, unlike PS4 to PS5 - VG247

This is outrageous. What will the buyers of COD on XB1X (Currently the world's most powerful console before November 2020, a whopping 六TF of POWER enabling true 4K as of late 2017) do? :whoo:

:mjlol:

Last edited:

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
That’s bullshyt for Xbox One players who buy the physical edition.

The gaming media should be asking why this is the case to expose Activision.

We all know that the technology is in place to support upgrading physical Xbox One games to Series X games on that platform.

Also, the fact that Microsoft is allowing this to happen doesnt bode well. It shows that they have no leverage or don’t care that their users are getting second class treatment.

Edit: I spoke too soon without looking at all the information. Since PS4/PS5 users have to pay to get the standard disc version upgraded Microsoft may not allow that or have the support for that specific function. I guess Xbox One physical users have to be informed and buy the hybrid One/Series X version up front.

Last edited:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
What the hell does that even mean?
Will the physical version for Xbox series x cost more than the physical version of the ps5/ps4 ?
I must be reading this wrong because I don’t understand the problem here?
If the Xbox series x version comes with a code for the Xbox 1 version why not just buy the series x version whether or not you have one yet?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
That’s bullshyt for Xbox One players who buy the physical edition.

The gaming media should be asking why this is the case to expose Activision.

We all know that the technology is in place to support upgrading physical Xbox One games to Series X games on that platform.

Also, the fact that Microsoft is allowing this to happen doesnt bode well. It shows that they have no leverage or don’t care that their users are getting second class treatment.

Edit: I spoke too soon without looking at all the information. Since PS4/PS5 users have to pay to get the standard disc version upgraded Microsoft may not allow that or have the support for that specific function. I guess Xbox One physical users have to be informed and buy the hybrid One/Series X version up front.
Microsoft has “smart delivery” which means you get the upgraded version of the game no matter where you play but Activision opted out so they can sell the next gen version for $70. Microsoft probably doesn’t have a way to charge for an upgrade on the store the way Activision wants to do it.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Microsoft has “smart delivery” which means you get the upgraded version of the game no matter where you play but Activision opted out so they can sell the next gen version for $70. Microsoft probably doesn’t have a way to charge for an upgrade on the store the way Activision wants to do it.

Yeah, this is the only thing that makes sense.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War physical Xbox One version can’t be upgraded to Series X, unlike PS4 to PS5 | News Break

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War physical Xbox One version can't be upgraded to Series X, unlike PS4 to PS5 - VG247

This is outrageous. What will the buyers of COD on XB1X (Currently the world's most powerful console before November 2020, a whopping 六TF of POWER enabling true 4K as of late 2017) do? :whoo:

:mjlol:

And you still only getting an Xbox and a pair of shoes for Xmas nephew:yeshrug:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
fakkitry

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What the hell does that even mean?
Will the physical version for Xbox series x cost more than the physical version of the ps5/ps4 ?
I must be reading this wrong because I don’t understand the problem here?
If the Xbox series x version comes with a code for the Xbox 1 version why not just buy the series x version whether or not you have one yet?
It means corporate greed and glutton. What if little Timmy makes a mistake and buys the Xbox one version by mistake and gets a series X for Christmas? Both cases look the same. Think of the children for once!

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
It means corporate greed and glutton. What if little Timmy makes a mistake and buys the Xbox one version by mistake and gets a series X for Christmas? Both cases look the same. Think of the children for once!

fukk them kids

I only think about you nephew and I’m gonna make sure my big sis get you the right version

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Activision is about that paper:francis:
The article sounds confusing but it seems like both systems will get the upgrade but will go about it in different ways.

The ps4 copy will give you a free digital copy next gen, but you'll still need the disk as a license check.

The series X physical copy will just work normally out the box. Install the game directly from the disk and xbox smart delivery will make sure the proper next gen updates are downloaded.

This might have more to do with how both companies are going about backwards compatibility rather than activion being greedy.