Pc Gamer: Starfield is just an ugly No Man’s Sky

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
At least some of the gaming press is finally tired enough of Bethesda's mediocre games to finally speak the hard truth.

Fraser Brown, Online Editor: Bethesda has been so vague when it comes to Starfield that I had no expectations for its reveal at not-E3 this year, and yet it still somehow managed to be a massively disappointing showcase. At least we actually know what Starfield is now: it's ugly No Man's Sky.

With every single revelation, it just got closer and closer to Hello Games' big cosmic sandbox, but with an aesthetic that's impenetrably dull and gloomy. You can craft! You can build! You can explore! Yes, it is indeed a modern videogame. One of the first things our unknown space explorer does when they land on one of Starfield's Mass Effect-looking worlds is laser off some resources from a rock. Then it's time for an unconvincing shootout. After keeping it under wraps for so long, I'd expected at least one surprise—but nope!

Undoubtedly the highlight of the whole presentation was Todd Howard announcing that you can fly your spaceship as if it was this entirely unexpected feature. In a game called Starfield. Where you explore alien worlds. With a spaceship. Similarly, the revelation that there's 1,000 planets to explore elicited a chuckle. It's the new "you can climb that mountain". Then we got a taste of these worlds and the wonders they contain: a space port, an ice planet, a desert planet, a barren planet, another barren planet. The thrills never end.

I'm absolutely in the mood for another Bethesda RPG, but this generic-looking crafty space sim is doing nothing for me.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They said early 2023 release. I seriously doubt it. This is more like late 2023 release. We are looking at another Halo Infinite here.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I thought is seemed more soldier class Mass Effect than No Man's Sky. Looking at that demo I can see why they kept it under wraps and no way in he'll was it gonna launch this year.

Also kinda disgusting to see game journalism devolve into fanboy flame bait. Can you really give a meaningful critique of a rough unfinished game at this stage?

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol:

It's just Skyrim in space :scust:

Skyrim just so happens to be one of the most popular games😂

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
shytting on a game that’s not even out is ridiculous

this is nothing new if a game looks ass or looks uninspiring.

They are valid critiques as well so far (framerate, may be too ambitious, space flight setup).

I hope they didn't just make a big space game just to be big. The 1000 planets is definitely a cyse as there can't be that much variety if you go that route.

I hope the game doesn't fall flat as it is one of the XBox Games I'm lookin forward to coppin'. We'll see what it looks like when it gets close to release.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
I'm not going to say that Starfield is just an Ugly No Mans Sky. I think that's a huge stretch. But these are the types of games I've been waiting for. I'll switch back and forth between both. If Cloud Imperium would just release a stable version of Star Citizen, I would probably be in that all the time.

See @MeachTheMonster, I'm not biased.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
this is nothing new if a game looks ass or looks uninspiring.

They are valid critiques as well so far (framerate, may be too ambitious, space flight setup).

I hope they didn't just make a big space game just to be big. The 1000 planets is definitely a cyse as there can't be that much variety if you go that route.

I hope the game doesn't fall flat as it is one of the XBox Games I'm lookin forward to coppin'. We'll see what it looks like when it gets close to release.
I agree to an extent but you can’t pan the game if it’s just a demo to showcase at an event. Plus it’s over a year away from an estimated release.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I agree to an extent but you can’t pan the game if it’s just a demo to showcase at an event. Plus it’s over a year away from an estimated release.

Of course, they could've done a better job with the demo is probably the lesson.

I just hope the ambition doesn't hurt the game.