Owlcat founder breaks down RPG budgets and Larian’s impact on genre

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I don't think it's fair to say this yet, there hasn't been a major one released since BG3 came out in full form

But yeah, it's a niche genre, PoE would never catch on because it's too true to the genre's roots. Pathfinder can catch on but to your point they need to up the budget, kickstarter isn't going to cut it. They could easily do what BG3 did if they found someone whose willing to fund the 3rd game, they lowkey have a better combat engine and gameplay elements than Larian in place.
Larian already has a better combat engine than what they have in BG3 in their Divinity games. Baldurs Gate 3 is a great game, but the challenge in it just isn't there compared to Divinity.

We'll see if Larian can truly tap the mainstream if Divinity OS3 is as big of a hit as BG3.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Larian already has a better combat engine than what they have in BG3 in their Divinity games. Baldurs Gate 3 is a great game, but the challenge in it just isn't there compared to Divinity.

We'll see if Larian can truly tap the mainstream if Divinity OS3 is as big of a hit as BG3.

As much as i love DOS2 i kind of think it’d be disappointing if they went back to it. The world of Divinity is kind of “been there, done that” fantasy, there’s nothing really unique or novel about it. I hope they tried to do something else after BG3

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
As much as i love DOS2 i kind of think it’d be disappointing if they went back to it. The world of Divinity is kind of “been there, done that” fantasy, there’s nothing really unique or novel about it. I hope they tried to do something else after BG3
Divinity has the combat system that I wish Baldur's Gate 3 had though. I wasn't as on my toes about getting into encounters in BG3 as I was in Divinity. The tone of the Divinity games is a lot more silly and comical than BG3 was though which was much more serious, which is actually why I think Divinity has more potential than BG because it doesn't take itself as serious, not to mention they aren't handicapped within what a game can handle by what the system turns into after a certain level. It would be a crime if they couldn't do at least one Divinity game with the production values they had in BG.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Divinity has the combat system that I wish Baldur's Gate 3 had though. I wasn't as on my toes about getting into encounters in BG3 as I was in Divinity. The tone of the Divinity games is a lot more silly and comical than BG3 was though which was much more serious, which is actually why I think Divinity has more potential than BG because it doesn't take itself as serious, not to mention they aren't handicapped within what a game can handle by what the system turns into after a certain level. It would be a crime if they couldn't do at least one Divinity game with the production values they had in BG.

I agree that the divinity battle system is way better but i don’t want them to do BG4 either.

Divinity at times just feels like D&D parody

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I agree that the divinity battle system is way better but i don’t want them to do BG4 either.

Divinity at times just feels like D&D parody
What are they going to do then? Larian pretty much has their lane, are they gonna make a futuristic sci-fi CRPG or a Cyberpunk style CRPG? I wouldn't be against it but the genre already has developers making those type of games right now or have been put out recently. Divinity 3 is the obvious choice and given they can probably reuse assets from BG3 for it and they have 2 games worth of material to pull from and the fact thst that's their actual baby they have the makings of a cost effective masterpiece on their hands because Divinity 3 can scratch the itch Baldurs Gate 3 didn't for me, the level of role playing you get with the challenge that comes with a CRPG.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
What are they going to do then? Larian pretty much has their lane, are they gonna make a futuristic sci-fi CRPG or a Cyberpunk style CRPG? I wouldn't be against it but the genre already has developers making those type of games right now or have been put out recently. Divinity 3 is the obvious choice and given they can probably reuse assets from BG3 for it and they have 2 games worth of material to pull from and the fact thst that's their actual baby they have the makings of a cost effective masterpiece on their hands because Divinity 3 can scratch the itch Baldurs Gate 3 didn't for me, the level of role playing you get with the challenge that comes with a CRPG.

KoTOR3

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Most games with lots of dialog, i end up hitting the skip button through the dialog and reading it myself, as i can read faster than the actors will perform it.

I’m totally ok if voice acting is a place where large RPGs cut costs :manny:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.