Overthinking it vol. 27: HIIT vs LISS for weight loss - HELP!

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
ok...for a second i thought i had a grasp on HIIT vs LISS, now i've managed to overthink them and have talked myself into a circle.

i want to drop 10 more pounds (realistically) and up to 15 (vanity goal) so it seems like i should just be aiming to burn the most calories possible (along with eating right :rudy:). i burn more cals in LISS sessions than HIIT - not sure I believe in the whole afterburn/reved metabolism shyt, at least i have no evidence of this.

what form of cardio i should do brehs? is the point of HIIT muscle preservation, and less time spent doing cardio for those who hate it? runners clearly burn off fat so LISS works...but are they waify due to not lifting weights or burning off their muscle too?

should replace my two 30 minute HIIT spin classes with either the regular 60 minute spin class or the incline treadmill for ~45 minutes? seems like i lost weight faster back when i did the treadmill and a couple 3 mile walks a week vs. my routine now. but i've improved my cardiovascular fitness so much with the HIIT classes, i'm afraid to let them go :sadcam:

Last edited:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Both work but I think you have to look at in context of overall training programming and nutrition. Really big picture, if you are running a sharp calorie deficit and high volume cardio (HIIT or close to it) your body can easily lock up and shut down fat loss.

Generally I feel like 1-2 properly programmed HIIT session combined with "heavy lifting is one method and A more high volume cardio method using LISS is another.

From what I "know" about your leanings I would dial back more towards LISS because you tend to get aggressive with cals.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
LISS for sure. HIIT beats me the fukk up. LISS was 100% the key to me losing 1.5lb/week while still making muscle gains last year. I felt great.

To me, you're already in a deficit... most likely an aggressive one. Your recovery is shot. Adding HIIT on top of that seems to be a sure way to speed towards a crash. I guess you can try both but I'd probably bank on spending 4 hours a week doing LISS. Good thing is if you manage it right your cardio capacity will turn LISS into MISS and you'll be able to burn more over the same period of time.

Tha Gawd Amen

Mamba Mentality
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang
I've cut back to LISS because I've actually seen my progress slow down because I got too aggressive with my caloric deficit and cardio. Really have adopted the mindset that cardio in terms of weight loss is more of a supplement more than anything andya diet is in check, the weight will fall off.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
LISS for sure. HIIT beats me the fukk up. LISS was 100% the key to me losing 1.5lb/week while still making muscle gains last year. I felt great.

To me, you're already in a deficit... most likely an aggressive one. Your recovery is shot. Adding HIIT on top of that seems to be a sure way to speed towards a crash. I guess you can try both but I'd probably bank on spending 4 hours a week doing LISS. Good thing is if you manage it right your cardio capacity will turn LISS into MISS and you'll be able to burn more over the same period of time.
so what % of max heart rate should i be aiming for in LISS? if i walk on an incline, i definitely can hit high 80's-mid 90's...that's probably too high? when i walk the lake, i'm usually at 74-81%, is that cool?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
so what % of max heart rate should i be aiming for in LISS? if i walk on an incline, i definitely can hit high 80's-mid 90's...that's probably too high? when i walk the lake, i'm usually at 74-81%, is that cool?
We could get super granular but I think mid-90's is fine. I feel like the biggest concern relative to HIIT would be of course muscle stress and then your CNS. Unless you are going ham on the incline you should be generally fine at least to begin.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
75% is about the most I like to do. I usually target about 70-72%. It's a pace I can hold a conversation and fukk around on the computer at. I have a whole rig built.

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
This is works for me

10 sec all out sprint 1 min rest after workout 1st day. 6 to 8 intervals
2nd day none
30 sec sprint 1 min rest 6 to 8 intervals on third day
4th day none

1 min sprint 1 min rest on day five. 5 intervals only

The next day I run 2 miles for time.