Overcoming big muscle imbalances

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Needed opinions about overcoming muscle imbalances, I think we'll always have one side that's slightly stronger, but I have a huge discrepancy in lower body strength. My right side is slightly stronger in my upper body, but I'm talking maybe being able to do 1-2 more reps before failure than the left, but legs? :mjcry:

I'll do single leg leg presses, and I'm hitting failure around 6 reps on the left, struggling around 10 on the right before failing around 12 reps.

I know the best way to train is by adding more single leg exercises, but in two years, I'm not seeing any catch up, so does it make sense to:

• Train at the same weight and just stick to that until my left leg catches up, right leg clearly won't be working as hard - i'm not sure what that means for muscle definition/development in the long run
  • Train the left side heavier than the right to build more muscle in it and get it to catch up?
  • Hold the L and just be an imbalanced loser :francis:

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Needed opinions about overcoming muscle imbalances, I think we'll always have one side that's slightly stronger, but I have a huge discrepancy in lower body strength. My right side is slightly stronger in my upper body, but I'm talking maybe being able to do 1-2 more reps before failure than the left, but legs? :mjcry:

I'll do single leg leg presses, and I'm hitting failure around 6 reps on the left, struggling around 10 on the right before failing around 12 reps.

I know the best way to train is by adding more single leg exercises, but in two years, I'm not seeing any catch up, so does it make sense to:

• Train at the same weight and just stick to that until my left leg catches up, right leg clearly won't be working as hard - i'm not sure what that means for muscle definition/development in the long run
  • Train the left side heavier than the right to build more muscle in it and get it to catch up?
  • Hold the L and just be an imbalanced loser :francis:

It might be a soft tissue issue if you’ve been dedicated to unilateral lifts for 2 years. It could also be poor programming, no offense. Try to find an experienced rolfer or experienced soft tissue practitioner.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
It might be a soft tissue issue if you’ve been dedicated to unilateral lifts for 2 years. It could also be poor programming, no offense. Try to find an experienced rolfer or experienced soft tissue practitioner.
nah, the core of my work is bilateral lifting. and how would you "know" it was a soft tissue issue other than going to a doc, any feelings or symptoms i should look for that would leave me to believe it was a soft tissue issue? i simply think it's just right side dominance (even tho i'm left handed), i'm sitting on the floor, it's my right leg i'll use to lift myself from the ground, etc.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
nah, the core of my work is bilateral lifting. and how would you "know" it was a soft tissue issue other than going to a doc, any feelings or symptoms i should look for that would leave me to believe it was a soft tissue issue? i simply think it's just right side dominance (even tho i'm left handed), i'm sitting on the floor, it's my right leg i'll use to lift myself from the ground, etc.

As far as soft tissue symptoms go look for poor circulation and restricted range of motion. Look up Kelly starett on YouTube and try some of his mobility wods. You only really know by going to an experienced practitioner. It doesn’t have to be a doc.

If you’re doing bilateral training try unilateral. Especially if you’ve never done it.

I’m 1 week in to my unilateral training now. Nothing bilateral for 4 to 6 weeks. It’s boring but it’s worth it.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I would look into making the movements more explosive. Lighter weight but controlled powerful motions on presses for example. I would start with the weaker side on each set.