Oscar De La Hoya on Club Shay Shay

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Yeah man, next to Gatti (RIP) vs Mayweather, De La Hoya vs Chavez was one of the worst one-sided mismatches I've ever seen.

Good thing it was called off early because of the cut as that was going to get out of hand. It was a whole bunch of heart vs too much skill and athleticism. Look at the height and reach difference already.

I think Floyd vs Oscar at Super Lightweight would've been boxing excellence. You can't make many fights better than that.

Oscar had all the tools you'd want in a boxer. And his resume is crazy

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Yeah man, next to Gatti (RIP) vs Mayweather, De La Hoya vs Chavez was one of the worst one-sided mismatches I've ever seen.

Good thing it was called off early because of the cut as that was going to get out of hand. It was a whole bunch of heart vs too much skill and athleticism. Look at the height and reach difference already.

I think Floyd vs Oscar at Super Lightweight would've been boxing excellence. You can't make many fights better than that.

I actually think Floyd beats Oscar easier at 140 than he did at 154. Oscar was somewhat competitive at 154 only cause Floyd wasn't nearly as fast or elusive at that weight. So even though oscar was also past his prime he didn't lose as much as Floyd did going up to 154.

Oscar also loses the the significant size and power advantage he had at 154 which was a major factor. But overall it woulda came down to the difference in speed and athleticism. Floyd at 140 was a whole different animal. It woulda looked similar to the first Shane fight, but Floyd beats him far easier.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I actually think Floyd beats Oscar easier at 140 than he did at 154. Oscar was somewhat competitive at 154 only cause Floyd wasn't nearly as fast or elusive at that weight. So even though oscar was also past his prime he didn't lose as much as Floyd did going up to 154.

Oscar also loses the the significant size and power advantage he had at 154 which was a major factor. But overall it woulda came down to the difference in speed and athleticism. Floyd at 140 was a whole different animal. It woulda looked similar to the first Shane fight, but Floyd beats him far easier.
Yeah, my main thing is how much of a knockout artist he was throughout Lightweight and Super Lightweight and welterweight.

I feel like his combination of speed, jab, height/reach and punching power at 140 against smaller fighters was unfair.

Definitely a good fight no matter the division between those two in their primes.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps

Yeah, my main thing is how much of a knockout artist he was throughout Lightweight and Super Lightweight and welterweight.

I feel like his combination of speed, jab, height/reach and punching power at 140 against smaller fighters was unfair.

Definitely a good fight no matter the division between those two in their primes.

I think it’s a similar fight at 140-147.

Oscar did better (or Floyd did worse) than I expected in their fight. Oscar did a good job at catching a lot of Floyd’s shots with his gloves and preventing him from really getting into a rhythm offensively other than the 11th.

While Oscar was fresher in his younger years, I think Floyd had an extra gear (and superior ring intelligence) that Oscar lacked. Oscar always seemed rather tense in the ring, and I think that sometimes hurt him with stamina.

Oscar’s great jab, left hook, fast hands, overall skillset, etc….would make it always competitive. But I think Floyd would be able to take advantage of things, such as Oscar being overreliant on his left. Floyd had superior stamina and as Manny Steward would say during HBO commentary, Floyd could think so well in the ring.

So I think it’s another 8-4 type fight for Floyd.

I’d say the best chance for Oscar is the 97-00 at 147. I thought Oscar lost a bit of sharpness in that first Mosley fight in 00’ that never really came back.

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
Oscar had all the tools you'd want in a boxer. And his resume is crazy
His ability to shift his weight between front foot and back foot, left hand and right hand was sublime.

Majority of boxers are mostly one sided, or if they can, or when they do shift, it's far more accentuated, this often creates issues (counters, balance etc.) De La Hoya was tremendously good at shifting slightly, so he was always dangerous off either side, whilst maintaining perfect centre of gravity.

He also had probably my favourite hop of all time (modern hoppers like Inoue, Bivol, Usyk are great, but all different.)

Last edited: