Open-world really isn't all its cracked up to be :yeshrug:

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
Dragon Age was "linear"?

anyway the challenge for open world games is to push the gameplay beyond what was already done in GTA3
that being said, you'd have a better time making a great linear campaign then throwing a bunch of randomness in there (see LoU)

my bad for mentioning DA, i was thinking DA 2 and that game was boring to me. i dont even kno why i listed it

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It seems like the open-world buzzword is the saving grace for shytty story lines. Let's throw a bunch random crap in to divert attention from the lackluster story that goes nowhere :comeon: The best game last gen were linear (Last of Us, Bioshock, Uncharted 2, Tomb Raider, Gears :heh:, Dragon Age, Dishonored)
Sadly, I don’t get giddy when I hear about a game, which was once linear, going the open world route. A lot of devs are abusing the hell out of it and pushing mediocre titles. Dont get me wrong, there's ALWAYS exceptions, this is just how i feel.
Where's Batman AA and AC on this list?

:comeon:

AC is def more like an open world game, and it was one of the best that dropped last gen

:lawd:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
It depends on how open the world actually is. Too many open world games are cities where you can't enter 90% of the buildings, basically turning nearly the entire world into padding. Drive here, drive there. Why not just cut right to the location you're going and cut out the ten street blocks I have to drive through for the sixth time?

It's not that it's bad, but a real open world game will give you a playground, and let you explore everything in it. Every crevice, every building.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
It seems like the open-world buzzword is the saving grace for shytty story lines. Let's throw a bunch random crap in to divert attention from the lackluster story that goes nowhere :comeon: The best game last gen were linear (Last of Us, Bioshock, Uncharted 2, Tomb Raider, Gears :heh:, Dragon Age, Dishonored)
Sadly, I don’t get giddy when I hear about a game, which was once linear, going the open world route. A lot of devs are abusing the hell out of it and pushing mediocre titles. Dont get me wrong, there's ALWAYS exceptions, this is just how i feel.
State of Decay would change your mind, but you limit yourself to what you are exposed to so suffer like the fakkit you chose to be :wrist:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It depends on how open the world actually is. Too many open world games are cities where you can't enter 90% of the buildings, basically turning nearly the entire world into padding. Drive here, drive there. Why not just cut right to the location you're going and cut out the ten street blocks I have to drive through for the sixth time?

It's not that it's bad, but a real open world game will give you a playground, and let you explore everything in it. Every crevice, every building.

This is something that dead rising 3 did a really good job at. You could enter most buildings and creating weapons/vehicles kept things fresh throughout the game

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
what I didn't like about Batman AC is it's easy to finish the main-story pretty quick, and just be left with a lot of stuff to do/find

I think Skyrim did a better job of distracting you with side missions to stretch out the whole game

edit: now that I think about it, the advantage games like Skyrim have is 'looting'. you want to do side-quests so you can get some cool loot. and hopefully that cool loot will help you complete the 'main quest'. in Batman AC you just get 'experience points', and again, at that point you probably already beat the main story and unlocking new abilities just becomes a novelty

Last edited:

Huellz Santana

Shocking
Daps
Reppin
Da city where the skinny nikkas die
the challenge with open world games is that there has to be a POINT to the stuff you're doing. just going around and doing stuff gets old after awhile. every gamer needs direction.​

fukkary was so good, I didn't even remeber any of the missions :heh:

fukkery you say? sounds right up my alley. tell me more about this game. :shaq:

sorry but that shyt sounds boring as hell. what's the point of going into every building and every crevice in a game like GTA?
its only cool in games like Skyrim where you can literally pickup and collect everything. otherwise there's no incentive.​

infamousred

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah i've seen open world and online ruin enough games for now...they think just because they throw those 2 elements into a game that it's going to be amazing and that's not always the case.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
mmmmmmmm