On This Day 16 Years Ago: 50 Cent vs. Kanye West 'Clash of the Titans' Takeover on 106 & Park Aired

Sonny Creems

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember 50 had dropped like 3-4 new tracks spring 07 & they were all ice cold. I Get Money was an 11th hour song that got leaked on the internet & the shyt became an immediate smash. If it wasn't for I Get Money I don't even think 50 would've dropped in 2007
To add on, I believe 50's original release date was supposed to be the same day as TI's 'TI vs TIP' which sold 470k first week. He might have been on track to getting outsold by him instead.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Always say that 50 was about done commercially and otherwise by 2005. He had the shortest run of a mainstream artist, but managed to leave a profound and not all good impact on the game.

but, ironically, to me, The Massacre is his best work

bordeaux

xxx
Daps
Reppin
God's Plan
curtis wasnt even a top 5 album that year. imagine if instead of all the beefin and weird narrative of people out to get him he actually attempted to grow up and grow as an artist. and dude been putting out wack sh!t ever since.
:huhldup:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Always say that 50 was about done commercially and otherwise by 2005. He had the shortest run of a mainstream artist, but managed to leave a profound and not all good impact on the game.

but, ironically, to me, The Massacre is his best work

How was 50 Cent done commercially by 2005? His album was like one of the biggest of that year if not the biggest. When you factor in the soundtrack and Game's Documentary, 50 being done in 2005 is a rewrite.

Sean7

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can't tell me nothing only went as high as 41 on billboard :ohhh: Felt like an bigger song back then. Straight to the bank charted higher but felt like an flop at the time.

Anyway, the better album won. I was an huge 50 stan from 03 - 05 but by 07 his super goon shoot em up bang bang music had gotten stale by 07, I was rooting for Ye..
Same, damn...... Cant Tell Me Nothing was huge. Ye had the better album no doubt at all and by 07 as you said he ran his course with me and I liked his first two albums.

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That soundtrack didn't flop. How many Hip Hop soundtracks went platinum at that time? "Window Shopper" and "Hustler's Ambition" were huge. Even a non single like "Whip Ya Head" was making rounds.

The soundtrack was dope but it was a flop by 50s standards and a sign that his run was ending. It was supposed to be his 8 Mile and it wasnt half that. None of those singles were mainstream hits like In Da Club or Hate it or Love It. I like the album but you could tell his run as the #1 mainstream rapper was over after that.

Daps
I bet 50 gave up a lot of those Curtis beats to Buck, Banks, and Mobb Deep - who mostly wasted the beats.

The real issue is that this album was supposed to be Before I Self Destruct, but he got distracted by the Cam'Ron beef that he changed the name to Curtis. It helped him sales wise going head-to-head with Kanye, but it was definitely the beginning of the end for him commercially.

Too many weak beats, generally too many weak songs. I'd have condensed the album to 10-12 tracks.

Graduation was a continuation of the Dropout Bear trilogy. Not surprisingly it's arguably Kanye's best overall album.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
yeah, 50 was PISSED when Jay came out and did Encore on 106 with Kanye

they came back from break and he was like "I could've brought out Eminem if we doing that :gucci: " (but really it was :mjcry:)

funny shyt is, Jay and Diddy did the Get Money remix....its like that shyt never happened. He hates their guts.

Eminem was in rehab from late 06 to late 08 fighting for his life. 50 was truly on his own and crumbled to Jay and Kanye.

It was karma for all the damage he done against other black artists the previous 5 years and now back in a corner. Add the fact that Game was still making noise and Ghostface was on his multi-album run, shytting on Yayo in the process.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
This was the day that marked the end of 50's music career, it changed the landscape of mainstream music.

Yep. RIght after that "battled" was won (rather easily) by Kanye, that was when the record labels got rid of those old rappers with stagnated ideas and trapped in the 90s mentality, and replaced them with Kid Cudi, J Cole, (early) Drake and other. Plus a lot of younger black kids of Gen Y were smiling again and emancipated their minds beyond the crack era streets.