Official Watchmen Thread

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A show by Neil Gaiman that came on Starz about old gods vs new gods and the main character was a descendent of an Egyptian God. After season 1, it fell off the map in writing and the black troupes became almost non existent.

Anansi

That sucks. I would probably give this a chance but if you're telling me it got bad after Season 1, I don't want to invest any time into it.

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
Took me years to watch this show and I was so confused at first, but it's one of the best things I've seen on HBO in a while.

I'm going to re-watch the movie too. It's strange that somehow The Watchmen isn't something the general public has grasped onto, even though I feel like the movie and this TV show are way better than anything Marvel has put out in the last 10 years.
The movie got alot of flack from the neckbeards, but it was a good movie. Directors Cut as well. My only complaint about the film is that they didnt have "Tales of the Black Freighter" included.

Even the animated one is okay, nothing special, but if anyone wants to watch a 100% faithful adaptation

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
The movie got alot of flack from the neckbeards, but it was a good movie. Directors Cut as well. My only complaint about the film is that they didnt have "Tales of the Black Freighter" included.

Even the animated one is okay, nothing special, but if anyone wants to watch a 100% faithful adaptation
The theatrical cut is mediocre. The director's cut is the best representation for people not familiar, the ultimate cut with Tales of the Black Freighter included is really some fanboy shyt for book readers only.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I'm not familiar with the comic at all so I thought the movie was great.

I don't have anything to criticize it against.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Took me years to watch this show and I was so confused at first, but it's one of the best things I've seen on HBO in a while.

I'm going to re-watch the movie too. It's strange that somehow The Watchmen isn't something the general public has grasped onto, even though I feel like the movie and this TV show are way better than anything Marvel has put out in the last 10 years.
They fukked up the marketing. I remember it live. The trailers was all on some "superhero" shyt.. So people thought they were coming to watch another super hero type movie but dark and gritty

What they really got was more vigilant with no "super" to it... And more of a drama than the action movie they were looking for after Ironman killed it. They were never able to pull in the casual or new fan like Marvel did. Even with the show, they are too high brow for normal comic idiots

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They fukked up the marketing. I remember it live. The trailers was all on some "superhero" shyt.. So people thought they were coming to watch another super hero type movie but dark and gritty

What they really got was more vigilant with no "super" to it... And more of a drama than the action movie they were looking for after Ironman killed it. They were never able to pull in the casual or new fan like Marvel did. Even with the show, they are too high brow for normal comic idiots
That's a good point.
I like The Watchmen because it is more complex and deals with some real and dark things.

I don't get a lot from the Marvel movies. I find them simple. Good guy. Bad guy. Who is going to save the day?
That's fine. I've seen that though.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
I’m a huge fan of the graphic novel and I think Snyder did a great job adapting this for film. I’m also not a Snyder fanboy, I think all of his work with DC has been horrifically awful. Lindelof’s adaptation on HBO was incredible as well.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Lindelof said that he didn't have a plan for season 2. I'm sure HBO would have renewed it if they had a script. It was very well received and won a bunch of awards.
Lindelof was inspired by the white supremacist shyt in Charlestown (I think it was?) and about how the masks were now “off” of racists and they were being open about it. He told the entire story he wanted within the one season.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Also, it is slightly infuriating that Alan Moore read Lindelof’s letter to him explaining why he wanted to make the Watchmen show and he still shyt on it.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Lindelof was inspired by the white supremacist shyt in Charlestown (I think it was?) and about how the masks were now “off” of racists and they were being open about it. He told the entire story he wanted within the one season.

Yeah he said if he had a new idea he'd love to return to it but for now he accomplished what he set out to do.