Official The Suicide Squad Thread

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
James Gunn in Talks to Direct 'Suicide Squad' Sequel (Exclusive)

James Gunn is returning to the director’s chair.

Gunn, who was fired from directing the third installment in his Guardians of the Galaxy franchise, is in negotiations to helm the second Suicide Squad film, the sequel to the Warner Bros. 2016 hit that featured DC Comics anti-heroes as the leads.

The move is not entirely unexpected as Gunn was already writing the script for the sequel, which Warner Bros. just slotted for a Aug. 2021 release.

The dealmaking does, however, solidify that the new Suicide Squad film will be his next directorial effort. Disney fired Gunn from his Marvel franchise in July after old tweets from 2008 and 2009 resurfaced in which he made insensitive and controversial jokes.

The sequel has the title of The Suicide Squad and is not being labeled a direct sequel but as a relaunch. The 2016 movie featured characters Deadshot, Harley Quinn, the Joker, Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc, who are forced into the service of the government in exchange for lighter sentences.

Sources say that Gunn’s focus is to take the franchise in a new direction with mostly an all-new cast of characters and actors. Sources also say that the project is also very much rooted in Gunn’s vibe, as seen in the Guardians movies.

Charles Roven and Peter Safran will produce the feature. Zack Snyder and Deborah Snyder are acting as executive producers.

Gunn is repped by UTA, the Safran Company and Frankfurt Kurnit.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
Bet hes going to do a cheap marvel knockoff, i liked the original idea they were going with which was inspired by fury road that took place in the middle east

Last edited:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I wonder if they just kicked Gavin O'Connor off this or negotiated with him to do something else or something? He is doing some 'down on his luck white guy coaches ethnic kids for redemption' movie next and it is with Warner Bros. and Ben Affleck.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I wonder if they just kicked Gavin O'Connor off this or negotiated with him to do something else or something? He is doing some 'down on his luck white guy coaches ethnic kids for redemption' movie next and it is with Warner Bros. and Ben Affleck.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
That sucks for him. I wonder if the story being identical is just happenstance or someone stole it?
Thanks for the info.
In stuff I read it was more along the lines of the Harley Quinn stuff being too similar (not actually identical) to the point that the studio thought people would notice the similarities to Birds of Prey when they saw Suicide Squad a year later.