Official “The Athletic” thread

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Part 2
Winning the turnover battle is always a key emphasis for a road underdog, and Saturday will be no exception for Auburn. Not only would takeaways limit a red-hot LSU offense’s chances to score, it could also provide additional field position help for an Auburn attack that could use all the assistance it can get in Death Valley.

“The ball is going to get put in the air this weekend,” Dinson said. “There’s no question about it. But that’s why we came to Auburn. We came to Auburn for these types of games… My guys and myself, when the opportunity comes, you just got to take advantage of that opportunity and make plays.”

Stay strong on third-and-shorts
Seven of LSU’s 20 non-scoring drives with Burrow featured sacks. Five others had turnovers. One more was the result of a huge loss on an early-down screen pass. One was an incompletion on third-and-long, and another was a stopped scramble on third-and-7 that resulted in a missed field goal.

That leaves one more major group of five stops, and those all featured important tackles on third-down, short-yardage situations.

LSU is No. 7 nationally in third-down offense this season, converting on 52.2 percent of its chances. It also helps that LSU’s high-flying offense rarely gets to third down, as it ranks No. 118 on third-down snaps this season.

A theme in this category is open-field tackling in front of the sticks, something Auburn has been good at this season. Auburn is No. 11 in third-down defense, and Kent State is the only team that has converted more than 36 percent of its opportunities on those money downs.

“We’re going to have to continue that, because (LSU has) got some guys that when you give them a little space, they can make a short one a long one,” Malzahn said. “They’ve done that just about every game. That’s really a big focus that we’ve talked about.”

Mississippi State got a stop against LSU by recording a tackle for loss on third-and-short. Florida’s two stops came when it made tackles in front of the sticks on short passes from Burrow. Vanderbilt got a tackle for loss on third-and-short, and Texas created an incompletion on third-and-short early in its matchup against the Tigers.

Auburn’s run defense has been excellent on third downs this season, only allowing seven conversions on 37 attempts. Opponents are averaging just 1.8 yards per carry on third downs, and the Tigers haven’t allowed a touchdown on that down this season.

Conversely, LSU has moved the chains on 17 of its 33 third-down rushing attempts this season. LSU’s rushing attack has been hit-or-miss in Power 5 games this season. Texas and Mississippi State both held LSU to around 3.5 yards per carry, but big plays sunk Florida (9.1 yards allowed per carry) in its loss.

LSU will be an ultimate test of Auburn’s front-to-back execution, as the Bayou Bengals have proven to be a balanced and efficient attack on third downs. When the opportunities to get off the field come, everybody on that side of the ball has to be ready to take advantage.

“When everybody is on the same page, from the D-line to the linebackers to the secondary, we got our cleats set and we play fast, that’s pretty big for us,” Thomas said. “As long as we got our cleats set and know the call, we can do some good things.”

(Top photo: Matthew Visinsky / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)[/spoiker]

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps

Celia Roberts fidgeted with her fingers as she surveyed her work, scanning every dish to make sure it was perfect. Sautéed turkey wings with gravy. Homemade macaroni and cheese. Collard greens with kale mixed in, along with smoked turkey and neck bones. Cornbread. For dessert, 7 Up cake. The vegetable oil was on and popping in the kitchen, ready for the drumsticks. She wanted to serve the deep-fried chicken fresh.

She was so proud of herself, she pulled out her phone and took a video of it all.

“Man, I did a good job,” she said. “The secret ingredient for me is the love I put into it. I don’t ever want to rush nobody’s food. I want them to know they are loved.”

She had gotten up that morning, on a Sunday, and was at Foods Co. shortly after it opened at 6 a.m. to shop for the meal. She got home and immediately started preparing and cooking. She spent all day, giving her attention to every dish. To see it all come together so beautifully provided such a feeling of accomplishment. Sunday dinner for five fit for a magazine spread. She impressed herself.

That’s when the worry crept in.

Kindness flows naturally for Roberts. But doing too much can be detrimental. She is a single mom with two kids. Money is always tight. She wanted to do something nice for her friendly neighbor. Roberts lives by the code of be a blessing. But maybe she went overboard. She was down to the last of her money, a reality she plowed right through when taking out the cash to buy the food. She left enough in her account to get back and forth to work until payday.

As she stood there looking at all this beautiful food, much more than her family needed at the time, she couldn’t help but wonder if it was all for naught.

Is he really going to show up? Of course he’s not coming. I barely know him. What was I thinking?

Around 6 p.m., a knock echoed through her apartment. He came. When she opened the door, it was her new neighbor and his brother.

Glenn Robinson III first met Roberts back in early September. She had just moved in and was surveying the new digs. The complex has a rooftop lounge area with a grill. She wanted to see it but her key fob wasn’t working. Robinson, who was hanging out with his agent, noticed and let her in. He introduced himself as Glenn and they struck up a conversation.

Robinson was a new resident as well. Back in June, after one season with Detroit, his $4.2 million team option was declined by the Pistons, making him a free agent. In July, the Warriors signed him to a one-year, $1.89 million deal. For the first time in his life, the 25-year-old in his sixth NBA season moved out west, finding a nice place in the Mission District.

To meet the standards of San Francisco’s Inclusionary Affordable Housing Program (for all new residential projects of 10 or more units), this building reserved a percentage of its units as affordable housing. Roberts, in essence, won a lottery and was granted the right to rent one at a below-market price. Her new home was a blessing to their family, she said.

Robinson and Roberts, who was with her kids, seemed to have an instant connection. First off, they are African-American, a rare sighting in the building. Also, she has an 18-year-old son, so any example of a successful young black man catches her eye, latching on to her dreams for her boy.

And Robinson, he is a grounded soul who can’t shake the values instilled in him from his youth.

“My dad,” Robinson said of the former No. 1 overall pick, “I knew him, but he was playing and busy. I was raised by my mom and grandma. But my dad was in the league. So I’ve seen the money. I’ve seen the cars. One day I went to practice with him. My dad let me sit on his lap while he was driving and we raced Ray Allen. At the same time, I come from Gary, Indiana. I’ve given back to the kids in the community. I’ve seen that people really do struggle. Even my grandmother was on food stamps for the longest time. So this hoopin’ is cool and all. But if you aren’t using this platform to help people, it ain’t nothing.”

F3D9450B-FC2F-4F32-A620-48876985900A-e1572158992908.jpeg

Glenn Robinson III, right, won the competition for the starting small forward position, vacated by the departed Kevin Durant. (Noah Graham/Getty Images)
Their initial chat on the roof, somehow, led to her telling Robinson about Slap Ya Mama, a cajun seasoning she loves to use. It’s supposed to be so good it will make you slap ya mama. That their conversation wound up on food is no surprise if you know Roberts. She loves throwing down, as they say. She credits her father, Joe, for teaching her. He was a cook in Mobile, Ala., one of the few jobs available to African-Americans back in his youth. He did most of the cooking at home, too, when Roberts was a kid. She started by just watching him do his thing in the kitchen. She graduated to helping him. Before long, he was passing along his expertise.

Joe Roberts died in August. He was 72.

Naturally, because she is her daddy’s daughter, she told Robinson she would cook for him. His reply: “I’mma take you up on that.” Cooking for him was her display of appreciation for his help and his kindness. It wasn’t a big deal for Robinson. In his mind, he merely opened a door and engaged in some small talk. But for Roberts, such little things matter. She’s a member of the working poor class and has overcome a lot to get to this stage in her life. She was now living in this new place, something in her darkest hours she probably never thought she could provide for her children. She had no idea how she’d be received in this place, and already someone was so kind and welcoming. Robinson didn’t take her non-working key fob to mean she didn’t belong, or question what she was doing there. He treated her like a neighbor. She wanted to return the favor in the form of a meal.

Plus, what college student doesn’t need a home-cooked meal?

“I was telling my son,” she said, “See how you can be in college and doing well?”

They ran into each other regularly. In the halls. On the elevator. At the nearby Philz coffee shop. He started calling her Ms. CeCe. She was becoming his new auntie in San Francisco. Her 8-year-old daughter, Samiya, was becoming his cute little cousin. Out of nowhere, he took their relationship to another level.

“How about I take you up on that meal this weekend?” he asked one day on the elevator.

“Sure,” she said, a little stunned. She never expected him to actually take her up on it. That’s just what people say, right? No one ever follows through. Maybe he was different, she allowed herself to think. Deep down, though, she still didn’t expect him to actuallyfollow through.

A couple days before he was supposed to come over, the concierge alerted her of a package. It was from Robinson. He couldn’t come for dinner, as planned. A team dinner was scheduled that night. So he left her three organic steaks: a New York strip, a tri-tip and a sirloin.

“I just wanted to apologize for flaking,” he said.

See, nobody actually takes the offer. That’s not how the world works anymore. But that’s OK, she thought. The steaks had warmed her heart. She had a feeling about him in her spirit, and she was right about him. That was more than enough for Ms. CeCe.

Later, during another encounter in the hall, Robinson surprised her again. After getting a hug from Samiya, Robinson told them his brother, Gelen — a nose tackle who earlier this month was drafted into the new XFL by the Dallas Renegades — was coming to town. He wanted to know if the offer of a meal was still on the table.

“Now the pressure was on,” she said, “since we had a firm date and time.”

The aroma hit him as he was coming down the elevator. It smelled so good. She wasn’t lying, he thought. She really can cook.

He was excited as he knocked on the door. He smiled when Ms. CeCe opened.

“I was ready to eat,” he recalled, grinning.

But when he walked in, he was struck with sadness. He didn’t let it show, but he felt his heart drop.

The apartment was so bare. They didn’t have any furniture, just three folding chairs and a table. The television sat on an old nightstand in the living room. The bedroom had just two air mattresses and their clothes. And, no, the Roberts weren’t waiting on the movers to bring the rest of their stuff. This was all they had.

“My brother, he’s a football player,” Robinson said. “He’s almost 300 pounds. I’m thinking he’s ’bout to break one of them chairs. We can’t break their chairs.”

This made Robinson feel even closer to his new neighbor. She doesn’t have any furniture and she spent her money cooking for him? He knew right away he wanted to do something nice for the family. But first, it was time to eat.

This was the kind of feast you felt. It didn’t have the long banquet table, wooden chairs and cloth napkins. No serving dishes or decorative dinnerware. No chalets to drink from or centerpiece to ogle. What was there, though, was warmth, appreciation, a sense of belonging.

Roberts served the fried chicken hot with Slap Yo Mama seasoning sizzled into the crusty skin. She won the deep fryer from work. Actually, she received a $50 Target gift card as a reward for referring a new employee. She used the prize to buy the deep fryer. She had no idea it would come in this handy.

But before she went to buy the food that morning, she prayed.

“I got in my car,” she said, “and I said, ‘God, I only have a little bit of cash. Please just anoint this meal and let it grow.'”

It worked.

“It was so good,” Robinson said. “I mean really good.”

Roberts started the dinner conversation by asking Robinson about his grades. He was confused at first. Then he realized she thought he was a college student. He broke the news to her.

“Ms. CeCe, I’m not in college,” he said. “I play for the Golden State Warriors.”

They didn’t recognize his face. Perhaps most Warriors fans wouldn’t. He hadn’t even played a regular-season game yet. He’s one of nine new players as the Warriors made over their roster. And Robinson isn’t a well-known player. The Warriors are his fifth team since he was selected in the second round of the 2014 NBA Draft, No. 40 overall. He averaged a career-best 6.1 points for his hometown Indiana Pacers in 2016-17. Thursday was the first time he opened the season as a starter.

In hindsight, Roberts rolls her eyes at herself over not putting it all together. But she would have had to be a diehard NBA fan to recognize him. She had no idea he topped $10 million in career earnings with his latest contract. She certainly didn’t know his father was a two-time All-Star and NBA champion. Still, his height didn’t tip her off, nor did his note about the team dinner, nor did him staying way up somewhere at the top of their complex.

“I kinda figured something was up,” her son said when Robinson revealed his profession. “He looks like a basketball player.”

“Wow. OK,” Roberts responded to Robinson’s revelation. “Now go on in there and wash your hands for dinner.”

They spent the evening getting to know each other. She shared her story, filled with struggle and pain, but also hope and service.

Roberts, 42, is a native of San Francisco, from the Diamond Heights neighborhood. She went to Lincoln High, “but I was a little bad and ended up at Mark Twain,” a now-closed continuation school in the city. She said she is a survivor both of abuse she suffered as a child and domestic violence as an adult. She doesn’t make much money as a caseworker, but she makes ends meet. Also, she has spent the last couple decades helping the underserved members of the San Francisco community: victims of domestic violence and human trafficking, members of the jail population, homeless people facing eviction from their SRO housing. She did this all while living one emergency from being homeless herself.

That’s why she had no qualms about inviting someone into her barren home. She has a full life even without extra money. She has experiences that taught her valuable lessons she passes to her children. The mistakes and pains she overcame, or still lives through, are but proving grounds for her faith. She has a perspective that makes her thankful, that consumes small blessings as if they were big treasures.

So, no, she wasn’t ashamed she didn’t have furniture. She was too proud she had a nice place to which she could invite someone. She compensated for her lack of accouterments with an excess of hospitality.

“He didn’t mind,” she said. “He didn’t look around and turn his nose up. He didn’t mind. If a person is genuine at the heart, they won’t trip on what you’ve got or what you ain’t got.”

And the brothers hung out, too. Robinson could’ve come up with a myriad of reasons to get out of there, and took a plate to go. He’d done enough just by showing up. But they stayed awhile, spent some quality time. Robinson even had some alone time with her son — “And his name is Lynn III,” she says with widened eyes and a head nod. “And he’s Glenn III. See how God works?” — and gave him an encouraging talk.

When Robinson left, he told Ms. CeCe it was his turn next. He can’t cook like her but wanted to take her out to eat.

She smiled. This time, she was certain he wasn’t just saying that. He keeps doing nice things to make her feel special.

“Sure, nephew.”

Robinson saw Ms. CeCe in their complex again. He asked her if Friday was a good day for him to take her to lunch. Oct. 25.

“My birthday is Thursday,” she replied, “so that’s perfect.”

Ohhhh, this was perfect. She had no idea.

A couple weeks ago, Robinson finalized the establishing of his foundation. Now, he knew the perfect family to be the first beneficiaries of his new charitable arm.

It’s called ARI. He named it after his 18-month-old daughter Ariana. He used her nickname for his foundation, which inspires his desire to give. So he made Ari into an acronym for his new work: Angels are Real Indeed.

Robinson has been doing camps and helping out in communities his entire career. He does boots-on-the-ground work in Gary. But he wanted something official and organized, an infrastructure to do greater good. He has a heart to work with families, to empower fathers who handle their responsibilities, to support women who have been marginalized and traumatized

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps

Part 2
This work is of primary importance to Robinson. His daughter is back in Indiana with her mom. They are no longer a couple, but he is resolved to be a great father. That’s why his alarm is set for 6:30 a.m. every weekday. That’s when he FaceTimes with his little girl, who is three hours ahead, before daycare. She likes to sing, so he’s often barely awake crooning “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” and “Wheels on the Bus.”

“They’re teaching her sign language, and she keeps asking for more,” Robinson said through a laugh, making an oval with each hand and tapping the fingertips together, the sign for “more” his daughter does. “So I sing it again and again. It’s great.”

After the FaceTime, he goes back to sleep for another hour or so before having to get up and go to practice. Those calls mean everything for a father away from his baby. Robinson said he is loving it with the Warriors and in the Bay Area. He laughed when his folks told him they were expecting snow in Indiana. He bragged about being in 80 degrees. He also is loving the Warriors. He said he is learning stuff from coach Steve Kerr he’d never heard before in basketball. The freedom and motion have been refreshing. Still, a piece of him is back in Nap Town. Ari represents everything about him that is good and pure and meaningful. She is the inspiration for the foundation. In her name, he was going to bless the Roberts family.

Roberts had no idea where they were going when the Uber ride let them off on Van Ness Avenue. They walked a half a block to the entrance of the CORT Furniture store. That’s when he told her he was furnishing her place.

The surprise hit her way harder than a cooking spice ever did. She was floored. She couldn’t breathe. A rush of emotions and thoughts flooded her psyche. She couldn’t speak. She could barely move.

All of the hard work. All of the tears shed. All of the tired nights. All of the worrying, about money and safety and her children. All of the feeling lonely and helpless. All of the diligence in helping others. All of the arguments with her ex. All of the battles with the system. All of the doors closed in her face. All of the days living on the brink. All of the pride swallowed and emotional bruises endured. All of the masks of bravery she had to wear. All of the steely resolve she had to muster. All of the missed opportunities, bad decisions and squandered dreams. All of the praying. All of the faith. All of the hoping for better days.

It all hit her. Right there on the sidewalk.

“I started crying,” she said, her eyes welling up again as she relived the moment. “I was told my blessings would be coming. Wow. I didn’t expect it this way.”

99A7B409-445B-4705-A6DE-A90B7D4C27D4.jpeg

Robinson took Celia Roberts, whom he calls Ms. CeCe, and her daughter Samiya furniture shopping. (Marcus Thompson II/The Athletic)
She stopped crying, eventually, and went inside. She and Samiya had free rein to shop. Very few customers were in the store, so it was like they had it all to themselves.

She hesitated at first. She didn’t want to be greedy. She picked a few items and told him thank you.

“I had to tell her,” Robinson said, “get everything you need.”

He didn’t have to tell Ms. CeCe twice. She went in. They got beds, approved by Samiya’s bounce. They got a couch. They got a TV. And lamps. And a table. When she was done, 29 items had been selected.

“Thank you for not looking down on me,” Roberts told her new nephew after he put it all on his credit card. “I’m really honored. I just wanted to tell you thank you.”

Reported from San Francisco

(Top photo: Courtesy of the Golden State Warriors)

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
The appointment of Unai Emery as Arsenal head coach was supposed to herald a new dawn for a club plagued by regression and rancour towards the end of Arsene Wenger’s time in charge.

But 17 months on, it seems Emery finds himself in a similar position to Wenger, only without the 22-year background that made the Frenchman’s departure such a difficult decision.

Speculation over Emery’s future ratcheted up after his side let slip a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 at home to Crystal Palace on Sunday, but internally the Spaniard is safe for now.

As is normal after most games at the Emirates Stadium, Arsenal’s head of football Raul Sanllehi and technical director Edu entered the dressing room to speak with players and staff. Director Josh Kroenke was over from America and, as is customary on such visits, he went to see Emery in his office. The conversation is said to have been routine; business as usual.

Anger within the corridors of power was directed not towards the 47-year-old, rather the VAR system that granted Palace a route back into the contest and later denied Arsenal a winning goal.

The subject will be aggressively raised by the Gunners at Monday’s directors of football meeting, which takes place inside the Premier League’s London offices at 10am GMT.

Chaired by the Premier League’s own director of football Richard Garlick, these gatherings take place two or three times a year and provide a chance to talk about a whole range of topics, including fixture schedules and youth development, but this one is likely to be dominated by VAR.

Arsenal’s hierarchy are seething about the decisions and believe the anger of their supporters would have been channelled in the same direction were it not for the fall-out from captain Granit Xhaka’s behaviour as he was substituted off, which the club admit was unjustifiable.

Emery still has firm support from those above him, although there is now an acceptance that after a year and a half in the job and with the benefit of significant backing in the transfer market last summer, there is not much more the club can do and the onus is on him to deliver.

They do not believe in knee-jerk reactions and will give Emery time, most probably until the end of the season, before deciding if he will be allowed to go into the final year of his contract.

There was a desire within a section of Arsenal’s top brass to reward him with a new deal last summer, but this was not a universal wish and the majority verdict held sway.

It is also fair to say that Emery does not retain the backing of his entire squad — the main concern of some members being an apparent absence of team identity and clarity on what is being asked of them — but equally the majority of players and staff are believed to be behind him.

There is even sympathy for him within certain quarters, given the amount of on and off-field change, as well as various political and personal issues, with which he has had to contend.

Emery was the unanimous choice to succeed Wenger after a thorough recruitment process that saw a long list of candidates whittled down to a final eight, all of whom were interviewed.

The identities of the other seven have never previously been made public, but The Athletic can exclusively reveal they were, in alphabetical order: Massimiliano Allegri, Mikel Arteta, Thierry Henry, Julen Lopetegui, Ralf Rangnick, Jorge Sampaoli and Patrick Vieira.

Arsenal additionally discussed Antonio Conte, Eddie Howe, Maurizio Sarri and Brendan Rodgers — but for differing reasons they were not pursued, while Luis Enrique was never an option.

The only contender who came close to Emery was Arteta, but ultimately his lack of managerial experience and a readily available backroom team worked against the former Gunners captain.

It is unclear what contingency plans are in place if Arsenal decide to part with Emery — although there is a sense that assistant first-team coach Freddie Ljungberg would be capable of at least assuming a caretaker role — but currently that is not an active consideration.

Klopp and Mane expected to leave New Balance for Nike

Bruised by Friday’s High Court loss that will see them replaced as Liverpool’s kit supplier from next season, New Balance issued a bullish statement. The sportswear manufacturer promised they were “committed to bringing our expertise, passion, and innovation to the beautiful game and will continue to build on our own success on and off the pitch”.

It was a response that will have raised eyebrows across the industry, where there is a strong feeling that losing Liverpool signals the beginning of the end for New Balance’s meaningful involvement in football. They made a grand entrance into the sport eight years ago by striking a deal that saw one of their subsidiaries, Warrior, partner with the Reds.

Before long, clubs like Stoke, Sevilla and Porto were on board, alongside players such as Vincent Kompany, Marouane Fellaini and Craig Bellamy. The growth strategy saw New Balance take over from Warrior in 2015, adding Celtic, Athletic Bilbao and the Republic of Ireland to their teams, with Aaron Ramsey, Jurgen Klopp and Sadio Mane also among the recruits.

In the meantime, though, Nike and adidas were building their dominance and Puma were re-emerging in an increasingly saturated market. Already New Balance’s key football asset, Liverpool, were now becoming more critical to their chances of remaining a competitive force. This is why they fought tooth and nail to keep hold of the six-time European champions and, equally, why it is such a bitter blow to relinquish them.

New Balance are left with Celtic — whose deal expires next year — Porto, Bilbao, Nantes and Ireland. And given that virtually every ‘big’ team is already tied down to a long-term deal, the future looks bleak.

Liverpool successfully argued that New Balance’s claims over their global distribution were “a myth”, “grossly overstated” and “utterly fanciful”, which could lead to some interesting conversations with their remaining clients. But the more pressing concern is likely to surround Klopp and Mane, Liverpool’s man of the match in the win against Tottenham on Sunday.

On top of being part of Liverpool’s deal — as players and staff of all clubs are — Klopp has a personal endorsement with New Balance, dictating that when he is in sporting or lifestyle environments he must wear their gear; a hoodie and footwear, for example. High fashion and formalwear are not included.

It is a rolling agreement directly linked to Liverpool’s and therefore on the same day the club leave New Balance, Klopp does as well. Although he will then automatically join the Reds’ new deal with Nike, that only applies during club time. So Nike are sure to make Klopp a personal offer to fill the space vacated by New Balance, in the same way that Puma sponsor Manchester City and additionally their boss Pep Guardiola.

Unlike players, who have freedom to choose their boot provider, managers are such a central asset in club sponsorships of this nature that it is not plausible for them to have a different endorsement. That makes the Klopp situation straight forward — yet no less painful for New Balance.

Mane’s position is more complicated. Roughly halfway through a four-year multi-million pound contract, the Senegal international is one of the few footballers still with New Balance and by far the most high profile. On the one hand, the company may be pleased that he will continue to promote their range but, on the other, if their football operations are being scaled back then Mane will be a significant drain on resources.

Either way, he is expected to switch suppliers once this deal expires, further reducing New Balance’s exposure. Mane is tipped to join Nike, who he left to join New Balance two years ago. Nike have numerous Liverpool players on their books but none of their famed front three — both Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino are with adidas.

The only rival who can match Nike’s clout are adidas, though sources believe they are targeting Manchester City’s Leroy Sane — they also sponsor Germany and that is seen as an ideal link — and would have little money left over.

Even after signing for New Balance, Mane spent months waiting for them to produce boots he was happy with, finally wearing them for the first time in the 2018 Champions League final against Real Madrid. That same year Fellaini was unsuccessful in his attempt to sue New Balance for £2 million over what he claimed to be “defective” boots. Mane is also said by some to feel the strain of what he feels are New Balance’s many commercial demands.

It is unclear how the Liverpool case has affected the relationship between their principal owner John W. Henry and New Balance chairman Jim Davis — both prominent Bostonians — nor whether a sponsorship deal struck in 2011 between New Balance and Henry’s Boston Red Sox still exists. Meanwhile, New Balance are intensifying their investment in basketball, so perhaps that sport will be another beneficiary of the High Court ruling.

Amazon cameras film in Spurs dressing room at Anfield

The away dressing room at Anfield was busier than normal yesterday, when visitors Tottenham were accompanied on their travels for the first time by a film crew charting their season for the latest documentary in Amazon Prime’s “All or Nothing” series.

Unlike Manchester United, who banned Manchester City from doing the same at Old Trafford in 2017, Liverpool did not deem the cameras to be disruptive and happily allowed them in. It will be fascinating to see the footage from the match, which was won 2-1 by Liverpool after Tottenham had gone ahead in the first minute through Harry Kane.

According to sources, Tottenham will pocket a figure similar to the £10 million that City are understood to have earned, and Spurs view the documentary as a unique opportunity to showcase their club. Fans hoping to see how Mauricio Pochettino reacted after his side’s 7-2 defeat at home to Bayern Munich will be disappointed, however, as cameras were not inside the dressing room at that point.

Not only is this a key moment for the north London outfit but also for Amazon Prime, who are said to view the 2019-20 campaign as something of an acid test for their football coverage.

With the streaming giant showing a round of midweek Premier League fixtures in early December, all 10 matches across Boxing Day and December 27 and Tottenham’s documentary next year, The Athletic has been told any subsequent plans are being put on hold until bosses have assessed the outcome.

The Spurs documentary is all the more vital because Amazon failed to secure a Premier League club for the All or Nothing series last season, having been turned down by Liverpool. The Merseyside club were approached but it never got past the first hurdle because Jurgen Klopp gave a firm “no thank you” when asked his opinion. The club’s owners and chief commercial officer Billy Hogan respected that immediately.

Amazon’s previous partnerships with City, Leeds and Borussia Dortmund apparently brought mixed results. It is thought they will utilise the December games to heavily promote those three documentaries to subscribers, in the hope of seeing an uplift in viewing figures.

If that works, it is likely to encourage them to pursue further series with the clubs they have already worked with and/or new series with different teams. If it fails, they could scale back.

The coming months have been described by some as Amazon’s “biggest roll of the dice” in determining whether or not they can become a powerhouse of football programming

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
Part 2
Eriksen had no intention of joining United… not that any clubs made an offer

Among the most intriguing aspects of the Amazon documentary will be the level of insight provided on the January transfer window and efforts to rebuild a Tottenham squad that appears past its peak.

Spurs struggled to shift a number of players last summer and Christian Eriksen, Toby Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen may now leave for free when their contracts expire on June 30, unless agreements can be reached to sell them or renew their deals.

Eriksen, in particular, was the focus of intense speculation last summer as it emerged the 27-year-old wanted to leave. He was predominantly linked with Real Madrid and Manchester United, but The Athletic has learned that Tottenham did not receive a single offer for their playmaker.

It is believed the only destinations Eriksen would have considered were Real Madrid and Barcelona, neither of whom registered any interest. That was not the case for United, who did make their desire clear, but the Dane had no intention of moving to Old Trafford.

Although in an ideal world Tottenham would like to keep a player and asset of such value, Eriksen has so far been unwilling to discuss extending his stay and is known to crave a fresh challenge overseas.

There was also a surprising lack of suitors for Alderweireld, especially considering the 30-year-old Belgian has long been regarded as one of Europe’s leading centre-backs and had a £25 million release clause until July 26. The only credible conversation about him involved Roma and a suggested fee in the region of £15 million.

Efforts to trim what has become a bloated group will resume this winter, however the number of players joining the club is expected to be limited. Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has talked of overseeing a “new chapter” and many observers wrongly took that to mean there would be significant spending in January.

There is a feeling around Spurs, though, that the Argentine is more likely to integrate young, hungry players such as Oliver Skipp, Japhet Tanganga and Troy Parrott. This would be similar to what he did when he arrived in 2014 and trusted the likes of Harry Kane, Ryan Mason, Andros Townsend and Nabil Bentaleb, while phasing out more experienced players such as Emmanuel Adebayor and Younes Kaboul.

New Premier League executive dividing opinion

The Premier League waited 482 days to appoint its new boss and he will not take office until early next year, but already David Pemsel seems to be dividing opinion. One club chief executive alleges that Pemsel, currently head of the Guardian Media Group, has annoyed a number of sides outside the traditional ‘top six’ by holding meetings with members of the elite before seeing the rest.

The administrator feels Pemsel has scored an early own goal, claiming his first interaction with members should have come when all parties are in the same room. Prioritising the so-called ‘big’ clubs has sent out a bad message, as if certain teams are more important than everyone else.

Conversely, other sources say Pemsel has only spent time with club representatives who sit on the Premier League committee that ran his interview process — Bruce Buck (Chelsea), Susan Whelan (Leicester) and Mike Garlick (Burnley) — and that he will meet more once in position.

One club executive contacted by The Athleticwas quick to defend Pemsel, saying: “Why would anyone care what order anyone goes to see people in? What different does it make?

“I’ve got absolutely no problem at all who he sees and what he does. He should get as much knowledge as he wants, in whatever order he wants to get it in.

“Let’s give the guy a chance. He doesn’t start for a while but that doesn’t mean he isn’t trying to learn about the runners and the riders, the characters, the points of view, the issues and more.

“His track record is excellent. His knowledge of the issues we’ve got is very good. He’s very personable, likeable and competent. You’re never going to please everyone but he’s as good a hire as you’re going to get. It’s a difficult job but he’s a very, very impressive guy.”

Among the most pressing items in Pemsel’s in-tray are the next broadcast rights deals, proposed changes to the football calendar, Champions League reform proposals, racism, VAR and Brexit.

Arsenal not planning to recall Nketiah in January

Arsenal playing on Sunday gave members of the technical staff another chance, 24 hours earlier, to assess the progress of their young striker Eddie Nketiah in his loan spell at Leeds United.

The 20-year-old replaced Patrick Bamford at half-time of the 0-0 draw with Sheffield Wednesday, leading the line in what some observers feel was his best display since joining the Whites.

So far, Leeds head coach Marcelo Bielsa has favoured Bamford as the lone front man — his all-round contribution judged to be more valuable than Nketiah’s superior goalscoring record.

But there is a sense Nketiah is now close to earning a first league start. His case will have been helped by a performance in which he was far more involved in the overall play, showed creativity and got the better of the opposition full-backs on a number of occasions.

It would certainly have provided more pleasing viewing for the Arsenal hierarchy than a recent visit to Elland Road that left them frustrated. The day after their Premier League game at Manchester United on September 30, a three-man delegation crossed the Pennines to see Nketiah.

Managing director Vinai Venkatesham, director of football operations Huss Fahmy and loans manager Ben Knapper were looking forward to watching the frontman in action against West Brom, but the closest he came was a pitchside warm-up before returning to the bench.

Arsenal are able to recall Nketiah in January if a performance-related condition of the deal is not fulfilled. There is, however, confidence on all sides that this will not be the case and continued hope that Leeds will prove the ideal place for his development. The Yorkshire club won the race to sign Nketiah on loan after a Dragons’ Den style process which involved presentations by senior figures to Arsenal at their London Colney training ground.

Aiding the situation is Venkatesham’s relationship with Leeds counterpart Angus Kinnear — they previously worked together at Arsenal — and a belief that few Championship clubs offer players better preparation for life in the Premier League, in terms of environment and pressure.

The importance with which Arsenal are treating this situation is underlined by their level of contact with Nketiah and Leeds. Some say they have never seen a parent club provide such impressive care and attention, particularly when it comes to looking after the player and his family. A source describes them as being in “a league of their own” since Knapper took his new role in February.

There is an element of concern about how well Nketiah’s style of play is suited to the modern game, but that is secondary to the optimism around how far he could go.

United unconvinced by Aubameyang after years of scouting

Talking of Arsenal forwards, where would they be without Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang? The Gabon international has registered 49 goals in 77 appearances since joining from Borussia Dortmund in January 2018, establishing himself as arguably their most important player.

But according to my colleague Raphael Honigstein, Aubameyang’s move to the Emirates Stadium might never have materialised were it not for a decision by one of their Premier League rivals.

Manchester United’s search for a prolific focal point in attack led them to scout Aubameyang extensively in 2016 and 2017, a period that saw him net 73 times in 91 games for Dortmund.

Ultimately, Raphael reports, the Old Trafford club were not suitably convinced. Whether it was the valuation of around £70 million, his age (he turned 30 in June) or his fit in a team that then-manager Jose Mourinho felt needed a striker who could press and hold the ball up, United did not develop their interest after watching Aubameyang live at many Bundesliga and Champions League games.

With top-scorer Zlatan Ibrahimovic suffering a serious knee injury in April 2017, the United instead focused on Romelu Lukaku and signed him from Everton that summer for £75 million.

Any United loss on Aubameyang was Arsenal’s gain. He kept hitting the target in Germany and that persuaded the Gunners to pay £56 million for his services. It appears to be money well spent.

Redknapp’s hospital trip leads to changes at BT Sport

You may have heard about a bizarre incident earlier this month involving Harry Redknapp.

The former Tottenham manager was working on BT Sport’s football coverage when some plastic from a broadcast earpiece got stuck inside his ear, requiring a hospital trip to have it removed.

It has since been relayed to The Athletic that crew at the broadcaster’s Stratford HQ even tried to dislodge the plastic by using a pair of pliers, but to no avail.

Although Redknapp was fine, BT Sport are said to have responded by banning regular-shaped earpieces and now only permit moulded pieces to be worn.

Adviser told Abramovich that Chelsea must not repeat De Bruyne mistake with Mount

Frank Lampard is not the only one who has played a key role in making sure Mason Mount’s talent wasn’t ignored by the club and he did not leave to pursue a career elsewhere.

Sources have told The Athletic how owner Roman Abramovich’s trusted adviser Piet de Visser helped Mount be earmarked as a future first-team player a few years ago.

It is understood that De Visser, who has had a strong relationship with Abramovich since he bought the club in 2003, was frustrated at the club’s decision to sell Kevin De Bruyne to Wolfsburg for £18 million in January 2014. It is believed he communicated that on more than one occasion to the Russian multi-billionaire and questioned the thinking behind it.

Fast-forward to Mount’s season-long loan at Vitesse Arnhem in the 2017-18 season — the midfielder’s first spell away from the comforts of Chelsea’s academy — and it was the Englishman who caught the attention of De Visser.

The Dutchman, now 85, expressed his admiration of Mount to Abramovich and urged him not to repeat what happened to De Bruyne. He backed the midfielder to be good enough to make the senior squad.

Mount scored 14 times for Vitesse that campaign and was named the club’s player of the season.

He still had the benefit of working under now Chelsea coach Frank Lampard on loan at Derby last term, but De Visser’s intervention ensured Abramovich was well aware of Mount’s potential.

The 20-year-old had another strong performance as Chelsea ran out 4-2 winners at Burnley on Saturday, setting up Christian Pulisic for their third goal.

Liverpool legends to take on Barcelona

Liverpool are close to announcing a star-studded legends match with Barcelona at Anfield next March. The club have previously hosted similar games with AC Milan and Bayern Munich in recent years.

A 54,000 sell out is guaranteed — raising in excess of £1 million for the LFC Foundation which supports a host of community initiatives across Merseyside.

Additional reporting: James Pearce

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
It might not have been the wielded axe that some were wondering about, but the sacking of Steven Morrow and several of his staff was the first sign of Edu taking a look at the structures at Arsenal and acting with authority.

Relations had not been ideal between Morrow and Per Mertesacker, head of the academy. In an ideal world, the decision makers responsible for scouting, recruitment and player development would share a healthy rapport with the best interests at the club in mind. But the disharmony was problematic.

One of Edu’s first observations when he returned to Arsenal last summer as technical director was surprise at the sheer number of staff across various departments. The club have been explicit in promoting youth development as a key part of their operation. So if this was a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth, it was time to simplify the menu.

Morrow had, of course, been a midfielder at the club a generation before Edu, a member of a mid-1990s team that won silverware a decade before Arsenal’s Invincibles. At the end of his playing career he moved to the United States and spent time in Dallas as a player and coach. It was there he came across one of the highest executives in Major League Soccer, a certain Ivan Gazidis.

When Morrow first rejoined Arsenal — a few months before Gazidis arrived as chief executive — his job initially was to supervise their international partnerships. Arsenal had links with various clubs overseas, including Stan Kroenke’s Colorado Rapids. There was also an attempt to run an academy in Greece which could be a stop-off point for young talent from outside the EU en route to Arsenal. That operation closed without notable success.

It was Gazidis who promoted Morrow, creating a role that had not previously existed at the club as head of youth scouting. Up until then, any young players brought into the club either came through the head of the academy or the chief scout. Sometimes it can be hard enough for those two senior decision makers to agree on a prospect. The new role of a head of youth scouting injected extra confusion on the scene. Who makes the final call?

Morrow had strongly-fuelled ambition from the moment he returned to Arsenal to work behind the scenes. In the 11 years he was at the club in his post-playing career, he was happy for his hat to be in the ring when important positions came up. When the post of head of the academy was available in 2014, he was keen to be considered. The Dutchman Andries Jonker got the job and there was a fairly instant personality clash with Morrow. The two men did not see eye-to-eye.

More recently, Morrow was keen on the technical director job that eventually went to Edu.

Morrow had come through Arsenal’s youth system when it was a very different beast, when boys on the YTS scheme had to clean first-team players’ boots and do menial jobs around their then stadium Highbury and the training ground. It was an era where everyone knew everyone and the staff was small enough to encourage that atmosphere.

Looking at Arsenal’s first team today the influence of the academy is obvious, with Joe Willock and Bukayo Saka playing regularly, Reiss Nelson and Emile Smith Rowe hopeful of more game time in the Europa League this week, and Eddie Nketiah scoring goals on loan at Leeds United. All of them came through the Hale End production line since boyhood.

This is the level of player the club is eager to generate. All of them were spotted when they were very young, in the era when Liam Brady oversaw the academy. He made his own decisions without having to negotiate with a separate youth scouting department.

Arsenal have ditched the model invented by Gazidis — with a specific head of scouting for the academy — and this decision allows them to streamline the process of making progress with their youngsters. It is now down to Mertesacker to oversee how he best wants to ensure the standard of young player invited to the club. Although results are far from the only measure of the work of an academy — especially as Mertesacker is very focused on looking after the young personalities and trying to help them cope with pressure — it has not gone unnoticed that results have dipped recently in certain age groups and something needed to change. Morrow’s time was up, along with five other members of staff.

Edu and the hierarchy are apparently not yet in any mood to yield to criticism at the sharpest end, with intense scrutiny of Unai Emery at the moment. But if there is a decision to be made in future if the personnel is not working, Edu cannot be afraid to make it.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Why Arsenal sacked Morrow: personality clashes, an inflated role and a failed academy in Greece

GettyImages-452222430-e1572962883427-1024x681.jpg

By Amy Lawrence 7h ago
comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

It might not have been the wielded axe that some were wondering about, but the sacking of Steven Morrow and several of his staff was the first sign of Edu taking a look at the structures at Arsenal and acting with authority.

Relations had not been ideal between Morrow and Per Mertesacker, head of the academy. In an ideal world, the decision makers responsible for scouting, recruitment and player development would share a healthy rapport with the best interests at the club in mind. But the disharmony was problematic.

One of Edu’s first observations when he returned to Arsenal last summer as technical director was surprise at the sheer number of staff across various departments. The club have been explicit in promoting youth development as a key part of their operation. So if this was a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth, it was time to simplify the menu.

Morrow had, of course, been a midfielder at the club a generation before Edu, a member of a mid-1990s team that won silverware a decade before Arsenal’s Invincibles. At the end of his playing career he moved to the United States and spent time in Dallas as a player and coach. It was there he came across one of the highest executives in Major League Soccer, a certain Ivan Gazidis.

When Morrow first rejoined Arsenal — a few months before Gazidis arrived as chief executive — his job initially was to supervise their international partnerships. Arsenal had links with various clubs overseas, including Stan Kroenke’s Colorado Rapids. There was also an attempt to run an academy in Greece which could be a stop-off point for young talent from outside the EU en route to Arsenal. That operation closed without notable success.

It was Gazidis who promoted Morrow, creating a role that had not previously existed at the club as head of youth scouting. Up until then, any young players brought into the club either came through the head of the academy or the chief scout. Sometimes it can be hard enough for those two senior decision makers to agree on a prospect. The new role of a head of youth scouting injected extra confusion on the scene. Who makes the final call?

Morrow had strongly-fuelled ambition from the moment he returned to Arsenal to work behind the scenes. In the 11 years he was at the club in his post-playing career, he was happy for his hat to be in the ring when important positions came up. When the post of head of the academy was available in 2014, he was keen to be considered. The Dutchman Andries Jonker got the job and there was a fairly instant personality clash with Morrow. The two men did not see eye-to-eye.

More recently, Morrow was keen on the technical director job that eventually went to Edu.

Morrow had come through Arsenal’s youth system when it was a very different beast, when boys on the YTS scheme had to clean first-team players’ boots and do menial jobs around their then stadium Highbury and the training ground. It was an era where everyone knew everyone and the staff was small enough to encourage that atmosphere.

Looking at Arsenal’s first team today the influence of the academy is obvious, with Joe Willock and Bukayo Saka playing regularly, Reiss Nelson and Emile Smith Rowe hopeful of more game time in the Europa League this week, and Eddie Nketiah scoring goals on loan at Leeds United. All of them came through the Hale End production line since boyhood.

This is the level of player the club is eager to generate. All of them were spotted when they were very young, in the era when Liam Brady oversaw the academy. He made his own decisions without having to negotiate with a separate youth scouting department.

Arsenal have ditched the model invented by Gazidis — with a specific head of scouting for the academy — and this decision allows them to streamline the process of making progress with their youngsters. It is now down to Mertesacker to oversee how he best wants to ensure the standard of young player invited to the club. Although results are far from the only measure of the work of an academy — especially as Mertesacker is very focused on looking after the young personalities and trying to help them cope with pressure — it has not gone unnoticed that results have dipped recently in certain age groups and something needed to change. Morrow’s time was up, along with five other members of staff.

Edu and the hierarchy are apparently not yet in any mood to yield to criticism at the sharpest end, with intense scrutiny of Unai Emery at the moment. But if there is a decision to be made in future if the personnel is not working, Edu cannot be afraid to make it.

(Photo: David Price/Arsenal FC via Getty Images)

I re-upped my subscription so I can help in here too if anyone else needs articles.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Why Arsenal sacked Morrow: personality clashes, an inflated role and a failed academy in Greece

GettyImages-452222430-e1572962883427-1024x681.jpg

By Amy Lawrence 7h ago
comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

(Photo: David Price/Arsenal FC via Getty Images)

I re-upped my subscription so I can help in here too if anyone else needs articles.

:feedme:

J.J. Barea sparks Mavericks win; Kristaps Porzingis highly...