Official Nas Thread

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Switching gears here, when do you guys think we will get that Lost Tapes 2? Wasn't there someone here, either Ziggily or @Life is Good that said that the chosen Lost Tapes 2 tracks could come from any era in his entire catalog, including his Def Jam recordings? Many people, including myself at one point thought that he would only be able to select from his Sony days. Somehow, my mind was changed. I want to hear more about this.

iLLusoYuN_Da_Adidas_King

Psn illusoyun
Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach
Switching gears here, when do you guys think we will get that Lost Tapes 2? Wasn't there someone here, either Ziggily or @Life is Good that said that the chosen Lost Tapes 2 tracks could come from any era in his entire catalog, including his Def Jam recordings? Many people, including myself at one point thought that he would only be able to select from his Sony days. Somehow, my mind was changed. I want to hear more about this.

When naS dead.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas Stars in Promo Video for Tristan Walker’s New Bevel Shaving Product

Two years after Queens, New York native Tristan Walker unveiled his startup’s first shaving product, he’s getting help from another son of Queens to promote the second.

Nas, the rapper who grew up in Long Island City’s Queensbridge public housing complex, is starring in a 60-second video promo for the Bevel Trimmer, a beard and hair trimmer that Walker’s startup, Walker & Company, is unveiling today. Nas is an investor in Bevel’s parent company, Walker & Company Brands.

The trimmer follows the launch two years ago of the Bevel shaving kit, designed to be a better option for men with coarse or curly facial hair, who often suffer from razor burn. A large percentage of African-American men suffer from this issue, Walker has said. The shaving kit will be available starting next month in some Target stores and on Target.com.

In an interview, Walker said he imagines the new trimmer will be used by some current Bevel customers as a complementary product to shape up their hairlines or beards when they pause their Bevel subscriptions. Others may use the trimmer in place of a razor. The company will be marketing the device to barbers as well.

At $179.95, the trimmer is more of an investment than I’m used to for a shaving product. But I don’t suffer from the same skin issues Walker says it is designed to alleviate. Plus, if Nas uses it ….

Walker, the former business development head at Foursquare, said his company will likely unveil its second brand in the second half of 2016. Unlike Bevel, it will be a product line designed specifically for women.

Nas:Bevel Trimmer

Nas: Silicon Valley should make products for people of color
Jessica Guynn, USA TODAY7:25 a.m. EST January 11, 2016
TWEET 13LINKEDIN 8COMMENTEMAILMORE
SAN FRANCISCO — Nasir "Nas" Jones, brand ambassador for Bevel's new electric trimmer, says Silicon Valley needs to make more products for people of color — and it needs more diversity.

Bevel, the flagship brand from Silicon Valley entrepreneur Tristan Walker, is breaking new ground for people of color but, says Nas, more needs to be done.

"There have been so many products out there for people of color that were not owned by people of color and that matters," he says.

The New York rapper, with several platinum albums and Grammy nominations under his belt, is also gaining cred as a tech investor. His Los Angeles-based firm QueensBridge Venture Partners has backed start-ups from Dropbox to Lyft.

Nas is an investor in Walker & Company, which introduced the trimmer on Monday as part of its Bevel shaving line. He also stars in a promotional video for the Bevel trimmer ($179.95, designed for barbers and consumers working with coarse or curly hair.)

USA TODAY

Walker's Bevel wants slice of trimmer market

Nas talked with USA TODAY senior technology writer Jessica Guynn.This interview has been edited and condensed.

Why did you invest in Walker & Co. Brands?

Tristan was recommended by a mutual friend. I was interested in his business and he was interested in me. I listened to him and I was immediately impacted by what he said because the product that he has is something that is close to me. It's grooming. It's haircuts. It's the barbershop in the hood. The barber is somebody who has always been important in all communities but especially the black community. I was just happy to see someone represent that.

635878569592422168-NasxBevel1.jpg

Nas with the Bevel electric trimmer. (Photo: Elton Anderson for Bevel)

Why are you lending your name and image to promote the new Bevel trimmer?

I'm a big traveler and everywhere I go for years people say: My son wants a haircut like you, he wants the Nas cut. I started to notice that people like my haircut. So this is something I have been walking toward, in the direction of hair products, for a long time. So it just made the most sense.

What kind of input did you and your barber Marcus Harvey give Bevel on the new trimmer?

It's just exciting to see someone taking it to another level. Marcus, he's an artist. He's really good at what he does, he cuts hair for TV shows, movies. All kinds of people from all walks of life coming in for haircuts.

Barbers stand on their feet for hours and hold things in their hands all day long. We want them to be comfortable. Also these things are made to clean themselves. This is definitely state-of-the-art stuff. We were all pitching in to make sure this was the No. 1 clipper out there.

635878568426931226-NasxBevel4.jpg

Nas says the new Bevel trimmer is "state of the art." (Photo: Elton Anderson for Bevel)

How important is it for Silicon Valley to make products for people of color?

It's really important because of the fact that there have been so many products out there for people of color that were not owned by people of color, and that matters. Tristan comes from a different way of thinking. Tristan comes into it seeing what's missing in the industry and it's important for him to change that, to add Bevel to the game and make Bevel the company making a difference in the new generation.

What are your thoughts on the lack of diversity and lack of people of color represented in Silicon Valley?

I think across the board things are starting to get better slowly.This is a tough challenge that needs to be addressed. There is really no perfect answer that can solve it today but there is progress being made.

There are so many players entering the game and changing the game, I am optimistic about the future of the tech world being more diverse. We all have to play our part and fight and not give up and make sure what we are doing is A1. Each one teach one, we need to pull more people in. There are so many bright people out there.

It would be a shame for people to go on the way they have in the past. People come from different backgrounds and they can provide the right thing for a company instead of 10 people from the same perspective trying to solve a problem. I'd like to push (tech) more in the community I am from. It's the new thing for the hustlers in the hood.

Last edited:

Ark

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Anambra
Why you want to double neg me for do you know when the last lost tapes album came out??? 14 years ago.
We're not gettin another lost tapes anytime soon. Double neg deez nutts in your mouth.

I am aware of the release date of the Lost tapes....
You don't have to tell me

Neg still stands :umad:

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
there should be an official kanye thread would be more interesting and filled with small cooler news than this thread