Official Nas Thread

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sweet Chick restaurant expanding with Nas’ help

New York fried chicken favorite Sweet Chick will soon be clucking its way across the country.

Page Six can exclusively reveal the restaurant’s plans to open locations in other major cities across the country. Right now, the popular eatery has outposts on the Lower East Side and in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

We hear owner John Seymour has an announcement in the works about the expansion plan. He’s also expected to confirm that rapper Nas, who was raised in Queens, will be teaming up with the brand as it expands.

The original Williamsburg restaurant opened its doors in 2013.

Meanwhile, for New Yorkers, Sweet Chick’s hosting a pop-up barbecue outside its Williamsburg location Saturday.

Stars such as Amber Rose and Cameron Diaz have been spotted dining there in recent months

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sweet Chick restaurant expanding with Nas’ help

New York fried chicken favorite Sweet Chick will soon be clucking its way across the country.

Page Six can exclusively reveal the restaurant’s plans to open locations in other major cities across the country. Right now, the popular eatery has outposts on the Lower East Side and in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

We hear owner John Seymour has an announcement in the works about the expansion plan. He’s also expected to confirm that rapper Nas, who was raised in Queens, will be teaming up with the brand as it expands.

The original Williamsburg restaurant opened its doors in 2013.

Meanwhile, for New Yorkers, Sweet Chick’s hosting a pop-up barbecue outside its Williamsburg location Saturday.

Stars such as Amber Rose and Cameron Diaz have been spotted dining there in recent months

Nas the Gawd is on his grind. He is doing so much stuff right now, it's good to see. I'll always support.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know how many people actually know or have read about it, but DJ Toomp actually produced more than "Slave & The Master" for Nas. According to Toomp, he produced four songs for Nas including "****** (Slave & The Master)". Unfortunately, the other three songs are in the vaults. @Big Mark, that makes another potential three unknown DJ Toomp produced songs for Lost Tapes 2. Here's the article where Toomp talks about "****** (Slave & The Master) and the other three songs. He doesn't give details about what the songs are about or how they sound though:

DJ Toomp: “I met Nas through J. Brown, Jay-Z’s right-hand man. We were in Miami at a studio, I think Hit Factory, but I forgot whose project I was working on at the time. J. Brown happened to be at the studio as well and he was like, 'Yea, Nas is down here too.' J. Brown introduced me and Nas and I played Nas a few joints. Later on we ended up hooking up in New York. We didn’t do too much in Miami but in New York we got a lot of stuff done.

“I think I might’ve recorded about four songs with Nas in that New York session. Matter-of-fact, I got a few Nas songs tucked away. I’m supposed to be putting an album together on every unreleased song I’ve ever done on every album. Nas got about two or three of my joints on his hard drive right now.

“When I made '******,' I was basically just going through tracks. The song itself was just based on some of the stuff Nas was talking about [in the studio]. Nas is a quiet dude, but once I let him see how I was he started loosening up. Me and him were in the studio talking about political issues, conspiracy theories, and a lot of stuff that people don’t understand yet, like UFOs and shyt.

“That '******' record was kind of a no-brainer. Cause when he hit the booth with it, he just started rapping and I heard the hook and I was like, 'Damn dude, that shyt fits.' I heard it was very rare for someone to be in the room with him while he record. A few A&Rs were asking me, 'Damn man, he did the song while you was there?!' I was like, 'Yeah, shyt, he felt comfortable around me.'

“He definitely got his point across on that song— and I didn’t have any problems with it. Controversy has never been a problem for me, especially in the entertainment business. Only controversy that can really hurt your career is if you done something like messing with some kids, some kind of sick act, but controversy is a good thing, especially if it’s based around you making a statement.

“You got people saying, 'Ah, that word ‘******’ man, get that out of your vocabulary!' But I be like, 'You say that’s what they called us when we were slaves. But now that you’re making money, you want to take this word out your vocabulary but you eating all this bullshyt, so you basically eat like a ******, but you just don’t use the word...'

“nikka: Never Ignorant Getting Goals Accomplished. People sometimes change things to acronyms to shift the energy of that word. Sometimes we can be too sensitive.

“I wasn’t disappointed when Nas changed the name of the album though, because the fact that you even know that name was changed lets you know that the people still knew what the original title was. People still call it the ****** album. Period. Like, I don’t know anyone who call that album anything else. So the fact that people had a chance to see that original title, made a statement. It’s the reason why we even talking about it. If the original title of the album was never seen or known, then it would be like, 'Ah, it didn’t really do what it was supposed to do.' But that song is still on the album. I feel good about producing that record.”

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/1...records/mariah-carey-ill-be-lovin-u-long-time

Bonus: According to Toomp, Wale wanted Nas and/or Jay Z on "Legendary", which is also produced by Toomp.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bestival

NasMain Stage, Toronto Island ON, June 13

By Daryl Keating

Published Jun 14, 2015

Photo: Rick Clifford

It began with hype; it ended with fireworks. Everything in between was pure gold.

There's always a certain amount of apprehension when a bona fide legend performs decades after his prime. You can't help but wonder whether he'll simply rely on the weight of his hits or actually put on a great show. Fortunately, Nas fell into the latter category. Sure, his classic tracks would have been enough to hold up a lacklustre performance, but he was tight enough to make them come alive again.

Having just passed the 20th anniversary of his groundbreaking debut Illmatic, Nas's Bestival set was a back-in-the-day stroll through some truly vintage hip-hop, which for many was the perfect gig. "Life's A bytch," "The World Is Yours" and "N.Y. State of Mind" were performed with all the zeal of the 21-year-old Nas that recorded them. Although they were — understandably — overshadowed by the beast that is "Represent." It may have been older than a large portion of the crowd, but it nevertheless caused a wave of happiness to ripple through the Bestival attendees.

Nas's flow was on point and his song selection was amazing, but it was really the beat-less interludes that made his show so enjoyable. Between tracks, he gave big props to Toronto, Bestival, the audience, and hip-hop in general. He was a one man hype-machine. His enthusiasm came across as so genuine that everyone felt it

Last edited:

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know how many people actually know or have read about it, but DJ Toomp actually produced more than "Slave & The Master" for Nas. According to Toomp, he produced four songs for Nas including "****** (Slave & The Master)". Unfortunately, the other three songs are in the vaults. @Big Mark, that makes another potential three unknown DJ Toomp produced songs for Lost Tapes 2. Here's the article where Toomp talks about "****** (Slave & The Master) and the other three songs. He doesn't give details about what the songs are about or how they sound though:

DJ Toomp: “I met Nas through J. Brown, Jay-Z’s right-hand man. We were in Miami at a studio, I think Hit Factory, but I forgot whose project I was working on at the time. J. Brown happened to be at the studio as well and he was like, 'Yea, Nas is down here too.' J. Brown introduced me and Nas and I played Nas a few joints. Later on we ended up hooking up in New York. We didn’t do too much in Miami but in New York we got a lot of stuff done.

“I think I might’ve recorded about four songs with Nas in that New York session. Matter-of-fact, I got a few Nas songs tucked away. I’m supposed to be putting an album together on every unreleased song I’ve ever done on every album. Nas got about two or three of my joints on his hard drive right now.

“When I made '******,' I was basically just going through tracks. The song itself was just based on some of the stuff Nas was talking about [in the studio]. Nas is a quiet dude, but once I let him see how I was he started loosening up. Me and him were in the studio talking about political issues, conspiracy theories, and a lot of stuff that people don’t understand yet, like UFOs and shyt.

“That '******' record was kind of a no-brainer. Cause when he hit the booth with it, he just started rapping and I heard the hook and I was like, 'Damn dude, that shyt fits.' I heard it was very rare for someone to be in the room with him while he record. A few A&Rs were asking me, 'Damn man, he did the song while you was there?!' I was like, 'Yeah, shyt, he felt comfortable around me.'

“He definitely got his point across on that song— and I didn’t have any problems with it. Controversy has never been a problem for me, especially in the entertainment business. Only controversy that can really hurt your career is if you done something like messing with some kids, some kind of sick act, but controversy is a good thing, especially if it’s based around you making a statement.

“You got people saying, 'Ah, that word ‘******’ man, get that out of your vocabulary!' But I be like, 'You say that’s what they called us when we were slaves. But now that you’re making money, you want to take this word out your vocabulary but you eating all this bullshyt, so you basically eat like a ******, but you just don’t use the word...'

“nikka: Never Ignorant Getting Goals Accomplished. People sometimes change things to acronyms to shift the energy of that word. Sometimes we can be too sensitive.

“I wasn’t disappointed when Nas changed the name of the album though, because the fact that you even know that name was changed lets you know that the people still knew what the original title was. People still call it the ****** album. Period. Like, I don’t know anyone who call that album anything else. So the fact that people had a chance to see that original title, made a statement. It’s the reason why we even talking about it. If the original title of the album was never seen or known, then it would be like, 'Ah, it didn’t really do what it was supposed to do.' But that song is still on the album. I feel good about producing that record.”

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/1...records/mariah-carey-ill-be-lovin-u-long-time

Bonus: According to Toomp, Wale wanted Nas and/or Jay Z on "Legendary", which is also produced by Toomp.

Dope info! Good find but that troubles me even more because I want his vaults to be emptied and officially released by him. But even more troubling to me is that he just has so fukking much unreleased material. Ever so often, we find out about another 3 or 4 and the newer they are, the further back it pushes the dope unreleased shyt we already know about. Furthermore, since we are averaging one Lost Tapes album what looks like every 14 or 15 years, we will probably never hear most of it.

Most of yall know I collect his unreleased music and like many of you, I'm sitting on 85 to 100 of his well known unreleased, extended, original versions or alternate takes tracks. Whenever his Lost Tapes album does drop (looking like in the next 4 years judging by how slow his releases have been), we will probably only get a small handful of those 85-100 released. That's if he doesn't put like 20+ tracks on it, which I'm sure he won't. I made this point before....the longer it takes Nas to release this Lost Tape compilation, the more music he will make that, for some tracks, will ultimately end up unreleased. This means that the unreleased music will grow much more rapidly than they will release it.

Yeah, I'm a bit frustrated with the lack of Nas music as you can see but since he doesn't do mixtapes, and his quality control has good handle on leaks, we just won't get these tracks.

For some, I guess it's just best if the producer leaks them and release them. At least we will get them.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dope info! Good find but that troubles me even more because I want his vaults to be emptied and officially released by him. But even more troubling to me is that he just has so fukking much unreleased material. Ever so often, we find out about another 3 or 4 and the newer they are, the further back it pushes the dope unreleased shyt we already know about. Furthermore, since we are averaging one Lost Tapes album what looks like every 14 or 15 years, we will probably never hear most of it.

Most of yall know I collect his unreleased music and like many of you, I'm sitting on 85 to 100 of his well known unreleased, extended, original versions or alternate takes tracks. Whenever his Lost Tapes album does drop (looking like in the next 4 years judging by how slow his releases have been), we will probably only get a small handful of those 85-100 released. That's if he doesn't put like 20+ tracks on it, which I'm sure he won't. I made this point before....the longer it takes Nas to release this Lost Tape compilation, the more music he will make that, for some tracks, will ultimately end up unreleased. This means that the unreleased music will grow much more rapidly than they will release it.

Yeah, I'm a bit frustrated with the lack of Nas music as you can see but since he doesn't do mixtapes, and his quality control has good handle on leaks, we just won't get these tracks.

For some, I guess it's just best if the producer leaks them and release them. At least we will get them.

Yeah, it's crazy. I think I remember reading that No I.D. did 10 tracks for Life Is Good and four for ******. One of No I.D.'s tracks for ****** leaked ("Be Right") and I think he produced a version of "Project Roach". Bridgett Kelly (sang the chorus "Empire State of Mind" for Jay Z when he was on tour) said she was on a song for Life Is Good produced by No I.D. She described it as an emotional record, but didn't give a title.

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
See thats what I'm saying. I know Pete Rock has at least one in the vault for Nas. Statik Seletah has a couple. There is supposedly and Life Is Good title track thats unreleased and of course Salaam has multiple as well. The Frank Ocean track and the old White Man's a paper joint. Colors too!! These are just the ones we haven't heard.

I heard, however, that Def Jam has sole ownership of everything recorded during the Life is Good sessions. Everything else should be available. Still there is tons.

At this point, I am more interested in the Lost Tapes than the new album. Prolonging the release is just a mess.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
^when was this?

Friday NBA All Star weekend concert

Earlier this week, it was reported that Sprite was launching a new ad campaign that would feature some quotable rap lyrics on their pop cans, including lyrics from Drake, Nas, Biggie, and Rakim. To promote the new “Obey Your Verse” campaign, Sprite decided to premiere its new commercial before Sunday night’s Game 5 of the NBA Finals between Cavs and Warriors, which starred non-other than Drake & Nas.

Dubbed lyrical collection, the commercial is made up of footage from Drake and Nas’ Sprite concert that went down in NYC back in February for NBA All-Star weekend.

Last edited: