Official Nas Thread

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
http://www.theupcoming.co.uk/2014/10/02/london-film-festival-2014-nas-time-is-illmatic-review/

London Film Festival 2014: Nas – Time Is Illmatic | Review
Thursday 2nd October 2014

Thursday 9th October, 8.45pm – Ritzy Cinema, Screen 2

Saturday 11th October, 6.15pm – Odeon Covent Garden, Screen 2

This documentary celebrates the 20th anniversary of the release of one of the most revered and influential hip-hop albums of all time, Illmatic, released in 1994 by the then 20-year-old rapper, Nas. We meet Nas’ friends, family and some of the influential icons of the scene, exploring the musical, social and historical influences that birthed the album.

The fear, brutality and violence that characterised life in the Queensbridge projects of Nas’ youth, are brought vividly to life in the stories, photos and videos from that time. Nas’ childhood friend Ill Will was shot and killed two years before this album was released, as drugs tore apart African-American communities. There’s a poignant scene where Nas’ brother Jabari “Jungle” Jones, looks at the photo from the liner notes of the album. It shows Nas and his friends in a Queensbridge park back in 1994. He points at the faces in turn, telling us their fates. Most of them are now dead or in jail and it’s a bleak reminder of the life that could have awaited Nas, if not for his escape through music.

The filmmakers have managed to track down most of the people involved with the record, from the collaborators and producers to the cover photographer. The music itself is mainly heard live, with clips of Nas performing at various shows. The lyrics are helpfully subtitled during these performances, and the subsequent dissection of the intricate and careful rhymes throughout every song show off Nas’ lyrical dexterity, and help demonstrate to the uninitiated why this album is so highly regarded.

Nas’ father, jazz musician Olu Dara, features throughout. He appears playing cornet on the album itself, and he has much to say about the social ills of the New York projects. When Nas and his brother dropped out of school, he was supportive, encouraging them to better themselves and seek their own paths, comparing the public school system at that time to “enrolling them in hell”.

It’s a thorough exploration of the album and its genesis, but at only 75 minutes, it doesn’t overdo it. It’s unapologetically laudatory and reverential, but it never gets cloying. The sight of an eighth grade dropout having a scholarship named for him at Harvard University is a tribute to Nas’ vision and prodigious talent, and this film does him, and the album, full justice.

Verdict:
star-active.png
star-active.png
star-active.png
star-active.png
star-inactive.png

I booked tickets for the 24th showing in London :smile:

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So what would you do if you were Nas's camp?

Release the Mass Appeal album first, then the Lost Tapes 2 followed by the new album? How would you sequence this? Nas is riding one incredible wave right now and I bet they are waiting for the Illmatic movie hype to die down just a bit before they release the next project but what is next? I bet that the unprecedented length of the Illmatic movie hype has thrown off their timeline. I was wondering though if it is more beneficial to their camp to fulfill the Def Jam contract obligations by releasing the album and then going on to launch Mass appeal first or the other way around? It seem like they were going to launch the Mass appeal stuff before the Def Jam album came out but now I am not so sure.

We can assume though that if Nas waits to release the Lost Tapes 2 after the Def Jam album, questions and talk around his Def Jam unreleased vaults are going to come up regarding their fate and what Def Jam is going to do with them. I, personally want those too. Maybe as a Lost Tapes 3. I want all of his music and would prefer that material be a Lost Tapes 3

We Major

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
why we got to wait another 3 week for the release of Time Is Illmatic? :sadcam: :feedme: