Official Nas Thread

HNIC973

R.I.P Bandana P
Daps
Reppin
Brick City,New Jerz
Nas Is Coming had some crazy verses and so did Watch Dem nikkas.
From childbirth to hearses, flow like the Nile cover surface
I bit the fruit from the serpent
Apocalyptic, get bent, stay splifted
Control the rap game? You got it twisted
Dr. Dre way, the 'Bridge say "Shake dice and kiss it"
Sip Cris', push the six with biscuit
Jeep full of chickens, pull up beside, have a listen, y'all
Nas, y'all, fly gangsta, wavy hair, teeth chipped in
My shyt bump, in the courtroom drunk
Links truck, rocky bracelet, cognac kernel, never chase it
Rap hero, black DeNiro
Federal Bureau tapped my line and got zero
Rap pro, diamond Role, hustling low
Profile white gold style, raking bloody dough by the pile
Shot down, still alive, he struggling for the phone, fo-fo blow him
When homicide comes, these three words are sung
3rd verse of Nas is coming :damn:

Watch dem nikkaz IDK what the best verse is all 3 are flawless :bryan:

HNIC973

R.I.P Bandana P
Daps
Reppin
Brick City,New Jerz
Street Dreams last verse
Growing up project-struck, looking for luck dreaming
Scoping the large nikkas beaming, check what I'm seeing
Cars, Ghetto stars pushing ill Europeans
G'n, heard about them old timers OD'n
Young, early 80's, throwing rocks at the crazy lady
Worshipping every word them rope rocking nikkas gave me
The street raised me up, giving a fukk
I thought Jordan's and a gold chain was living it up

I knew the dopes, the pushers, the addicts everybody
Cut out of class, just to smoke blunts and drink naughty
Ain't that funny? Getting put on to crack money
With all the gun play, painting the kettle black hungry
A case of beers in the staircase I wasted years
Some nikkas went for theirs, flipping coke as they career
But I'm a rebel stressing, to pull out of the heat no doubt
With Jeeps tinted out, spending never holding out

Mike Wins

All Star
Daps
What Nas has done with sales performance has always been opposite of how people treated him in the media. Noone is saying Nas was being blackballed but there was clear bias against Nas by certain hip hop media. Me being a nikka that lives in NYC and having to argue for Nas even before his battle with Jay makes me know I'm not trippin. Nas got 4 and a half mics with I Am and u would never think that with the way hip hop media and radio treats him. See. Ur looking from a hindsight lens. The STREETS held Nas in high regard which is why no matter how hip hop media tried to do him they had no choice but to give it up in some kinda way because he was defying odds left n right. Nas literally called the radio and payola and the bias against him out during his battle with Jay. He ranted on 105.1 about this. Did it get better? Nope. Got WORSE. Lol. When Jay was able to get power enough to have more control over hip hop media it was over. Narratives around the battle started to change etc etc. Even ur man Kendrick tried to shyt on Nas when it came to his battle with Jay. "Only reason people say Nas won was because he was the underdog and the media helped him.." <<<< it's bullshyt takes like that from ignorant nikkas. And "Reasonable Doubt is better than Illmatic..". Both statements. Thats Kendrick's words right there. Why should Nas have to correct blatant bullshyt every turn?. Anyone who was around and lives in NYC knows the media tried to help JAY during that battle and the PEOPLE chose Nas so overwhelmingly that it was undeniable. That battle was alot LESS close than the media tells it.

I was following that shyt from California and it was wild how obvious the New York media bias was. From banning the Stillmatic Freestyle from radio to trying to act like the phone polls was close, Fat Joe shut that shyt down quick :mjlol:

New York media and certain fans always been weird as fukk with Nas. I wasn't online like that until 1999, so I ain't even know how much hate IWW got among the east coast backpack crowd and media. Out west that was most people introduction to Nas and it was seen as a dope album, and got positive reviews basically everywhere. I never heard nobody say negative word about it in real time except from dudes that hated everything from New York :mjlol:

Nas, the most talented pure rapper to emerge from New York since Rakim, packs whole novels within his crime-laced verses. Compellingly visual and straight to the point, this follow-up to his critically acclaimed 1994 debut, “Illmatic,” demonstrates a continuing lyrical maturity that makes his already potent beats and rhymes all the more compelling.

Featuring production assistance by Dr. Dre, Trackmasterz and DJ Premier, this collection reinforces Nas’ reputation as the hip-hop equivalent of Claude Brown, the author of “Manchild in the Promised Land,” the landmark autobiography of coming of age in a New York ghetto.

Although Nas sometimes seems obsessed with writing about materialistic aspirations, there is at the heart of his art a poetic purity that speaks eloquently about his struggle for self-identity and survival.

“It Was Written,” which entered the national sales chart this week at No. 1, is highlighted by “I Gave You Power,” a song in which Nas views life from the perspective of a Desert Eagle 9-millimeter pistol. Matching striking, explosive images with social commentaries against black-on-black violence, this hard-thumping track hits with the force of a point-blank hollow-point shell.

Mike Wins

All Star
Daps
But do you remember him doing interviews, general convos about him etc? On air.

I think certain people decided the write Nas out of the picture and there was agreement between both the mainstream and underground scenes on this in NY radio and media. Radio was Bad Boy Central at the time, Biggie and Diddy were calling in regularly. Jay was on the payola tip, getting play. Like @Alexander Wiggin said, he wasn't allowed to go mainstream yet nobody had an issue with Biggie doing it. Then on the underground side...Stretch Armstrong debuted most of IWW on college radio but when you listen to the tapes with Bobbito throughout 1996/1997 you barely hear any Nas. He basically got phased out from their shyt. Yea they played Live nikka Rap a few times but that's about it, and limited Illmatic plays too. Just disappeared...yet you hear Biggie and Jay in most of their tapes. Obviously Nas was still on mixtapes but I just find this shyt weird...

Also we gonna talk about how the Pac/Death Row East thing didn't even become a major point of discussion until the 2000s? Nas mentioned it on We Will Survive in 1999 but how is it that an armed NAS and PAC confrontation wasn't talked about heavily to the point we can find interviews about it from that time? Because to acknowledge that is to acknowledge Nas was really that dude in 1996, and so many people seem to not want to acknowledge that.

How much of it is just Roc-A-Fella was on Def Jam and had Kevin Liles and Lyor Cohen behind them? That was the most powerful label in hip hop from 1998-2004. Only rivaled by Aftermath and Interscope but they had a smaller roster.

Meanwhile Nas over at Columbia and Sony where hip hop wasn't a priority. 1996-2004 they was dealing with a lot of craziness surrounding Mariah Carey and Michael Jackson. Obviously Fugees and Lauryn Hill had major success there along with Nas, but they wasn't really concerned with rap roster or leveraging connects on their behalf. If Tommy Mottola stepped in and threw his weight around with the hip hop radio stations and media it would have been different, but that was never gonna happen.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They call my city Gotham city opposite of pretty

I wonder if he recorded the regular version over the beat they put out. Hit Boy's beat is ill but it makes Nas flow sound choppy when it wasn't

HNIC973

R.I.P Bandana P
Daps
Reppin
Brick City,New Jerz
It's ugly outside, it's muggy, it's money outside
105 Fahrenheit, thunderous skies
The clouds shape a clown face above where you reside
Under his eye, a teardrop got the ugliest cry
They call my city Gotham City, opposite of pretty
Weatherman cannot predict bullets rainin' from out the 50
It's ugly outside, Big L would be here if it wasn't
Hell'll freeze over the day it doesn't get ugly out
How can we hug it out
After we slugged it out?
We should be buying acres adjusting each other's crowns
That was your brother back then, how could you gun him down?
Yeah, yeah
This what I live for
The inventor
The re-invention, I'm reincarnated, see what it hit for
Yo, even your mentor can get you sent for
Get you chipped off if it's a brick off, you hit a brick wall
Damn, big dog
Dove in that water and got hit with a cannonball
Ugly Christmas sweater party with no Santa Claus
Companies profit off of black trauma
That's ugly, mad ugly just like Sheneneh and Wanda
You been through shyt I been through shyt every day is an honor
It's ugly how Mercedes Moore lost her life to a stalker
I'm on offense every day 'til I see the love
KD3 on the way, this just to feed the buzz

One of my favorite verses of the HB era

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
It's ugly outside, it's muggy, it's money outside
105 Fahrenheit, thunderous skies
The clouds shape a clown face above where you reside
Under his eye, a teardrop got the ugliest cry
They call my city Gotham City, opposite of pretty
Weatherman cannot predict bullets rainin' from out the 50
It's ugly outside, Big L would be here if it wasn't
Hell'll freeze over the day it doesn't get ugly out
How can we hug it out
After we slugged it out?
We should be buying acres adjusting each other's crowns
That was your brother back then, how could you gun him down?
Yeah, yeah
This what I live for
The inventor
The re-invention, I'm reincarnated, see what it hit for
Yo, even your mentor can get you sent for
Get you chipped off if it's a brick off, you hit a brick wall
Damn, big dog
Dove in that water and got hit with a cannonball
Ugly Christmas sweater party with no Santa Claus
Companies profit off of black trauma
That's ugly, mad ugly just like Sheneneh and Wanda
You been through shyt I been through shyt every day is an honor
It's ugly how Mercedes Moore lost her life to a stalker
I'm on offense every day 'til I see the love
KD3 on the way, this just to feed the buzz

One of my favorite verses of the HB era
Ayo Nas the GOAT and I been playing Hit albums nonstop since KD1...

....I never realized how MEAN this verse is until I just read it. Sheeeeeeeesh, that shyt is cold.

Nas the GOAT.

DAP+REP