Official "Invincible" TV Series Thread (NO COMIC SPOILERS)

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How is this like dragonball ?

There is hardly anything similar

Gonna do a reread of the trades.

It's an often used comparison given the series' narrative. Both series are about a member of an alien warrior race who protect the earth against ever increasing threats, often in the shape of a physically powerful being that the protagonist has to fight. Along the way both protagonists gain powerful allies and friends and even have to make uneasy alliances with old foes.

That’s the most high-level way I can go into comparing the two series without delving into spoilers but there are deeper comparisons. Like @Majestyx says, Mark in some essence feels like what if Gohan continued to be a fighter as he grew up.

I'm probably gonna find a download for the TPBs and give it a reread as well...I don’t remember too many similarities to DBZ but to be fair I wasn’t reading it from that perspective at the time so this gives me a valid reason for a reread...I remember particularly enjoying it because it reminded me of a young spiderman or even static shock as you get to see him try to balance being a regular teen as well as a superhero and making the transition to learning to be responsible with his “gift”

Last edited:

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
I'm probably gonna find a download for the TPBs and give it a reread as well...I don’t remember too many similarities to DBZ but to be fair I wasn’t reading it from that perspective at the time so this gives me a valid reason for a reread...I remember particularly enjoying it because it reminded me of a young spiderman or even static shock as you get to see him try to balance being a regular teen as well as a superhero and making the transition to learning to be responsible with his “gift”
It isn’t really a Direct dbz comparison. It’s just like how goku is kinda similar to Superman in some ways, but not too many people call dbz a ripoff of Superman.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
It's an often used comparison given the series' narrative. Both series are about a member of an alien warrior race who protect the earth against ever increasing threats, often in the shape of a physically powerful being that the protagonist has to fight. Along the way both protagonists gain powerful allies and friends and even have to make uneasy alliances with old foes.

That’s the most high-level way I can go into comparing the two series without delving into spoilers but there are deeper comparisons. Like @Majestyx says, Mark in some essence feels like what if Gohan continued to be a fighter as he grew up.
but that seems more like superman, No?

im going basic here, but dragonball and its wuxia based story and this superhero dont seem to be much in similarity. Unless you tell me his alien race allows him to transform, he fights with energy beams, and is a fighting lunatic like Goku.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Again, what @Majestyx said, don't take the comparison too seriously. There are some overall themes and narrative threads that match up. American Dragonball mostly just gives you the idea of a series that's all about epic fights between powerful (alien) warriors which in some cases last multiple issues. Of course they are different in style and execution, that's why the emphasis is on American Dragonball, since Invincible is still an American series that draws a lot of inspiration from American comics and culture.

The most obvious comparison between the two are Saiyans and the Viltrumites. While the latter also get compared to Kryptonians, their culture and goals are much closer to Saiyans, and most of Invincible plays out like a "What if Vegeta and the Saiyans continued to be the bad guys?" scenario.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Again, what @Majestyx said, don't take the comparison too seriously. There are some overall themes and narrative threads that match up. American Dragonball mostly just gives you the idea of a series that's all about epic fights between powerful (alien) warriors which in some cases last multiple issues. Of course they are different in style and execution, that's why the emphasis is on American Dragonball, since Invincible is still an American series that draws a lot of inspiration from American comics and culture.
T
he most obvious comparison between the two are Saiyans and the Viltrumites. While the latter also get compared to Kryptonians, their culture and goals are much closer to Saiyans, and most of Invincible plays out like a "What if Vegeta and the Saiyans continued to be the bad guys?" scenario

if the bolded is the case then i can see the dragonball comparsion then

parallax

Superstar
Daps

The most obvious comparison between the two are Saiyans and the Viltrumites. While the latter also get compared to Kryptonians, their culture and goals are much closer to Saiyans, and most of Invincible plays out like a "What if Vegeta and the Saiyans continued to be the bad guys?" scenario.

theyre a mix of both saiyans and kryptonians. theyre a race of fighting conquerors, but maintain the intelligence of kyptonians and arent a buffer/slave class like saiyans were

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps

Yep they a warrior culture. Its a lot of might makes right with em so much so that
Consent is pretty foreign to em

Goonba

Ay
Daps
Reppin
LA
I just binge-read this whole series up to the last couple of issues and wow... Amazon won. Are they going to get everything done in one go or split it into seasons?

And for a guy named Invincible MAN does this dude Mark get his ass whooped. That's my sole pet peeve I've got so far. I was reading on my day off last week and got to the part where he first meets Battle Beast. I thought BB was some random a$$hole and was like "Okay, this dude looks kinda raw... can't wait for Mark to put hands on this dude." I scroll down... not even a page goes by... and this dude Mark is knocked out :why:I knew he was going to redeem himself later just off the strength of the L's he took and boy has he ever, though he still gets shyt on constantly while doing it.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I just binge-read this whole series up to the last couple of issues and wow... Amazon won. Are they going to get everything done in one go or split it into seasons?

And for a guy named Invincible MAN does this dude Mark get his ass whooped. That's my sole pet peeve I've got so far. I was reading on my day off last week and got to the part where he first meets Battle Beast. I thought BB was some random a$$hole and was like "Okay, this dude looks kinda raw... can't wait for Mark to put hands on this dude." I scroll down... not even a page goes by... and this dude Mark is knocked out :why:I knew he was going to redeem himself later just off the strength of the L's he took and boy has he ever, though he still gets shyt on constantly while doing it.
The thing is it doesn't kill him and I think it really about his mind state. He is willing to kill later and that makes him stronger .