Official Coming 2 America Thread

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Craig Brewer did a solid job with Hustle and Flow. However, that was 15 years ago.

Eddie must have a lot of confidence in that Dolemite movie. I'll say in that thread that I'll say here...The last time Eddie had a majority black cast directed by a white director it was Norbit. Dreamgirls was an ensemble piece based on a stage play so can't really count that.

John Landis was at least a very talented and known director in the 80s when he did Coming to America.

There had to be a talented black director they could have found to direct this.

I'll feel a lot better about this movie if Dolemite turns out to be good. If Dolemite is meh or trash then it kills all hype for this. Hoping for the best though.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
The more I think about it this never needed a sequel.

In fact they should have just did a spin off of the barbershop guys. Yea it might have been seen as too late with the Barbershop movies coming (those are hit and miss to me)

However, just tell a story set in the early 90s or maybe in the 2000s based around them. That would have been far more ideal. I think the best part of Life is when Eddie plays the older version of his character. So Eddie playing old characters = classic.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Craig Brewer did a solid job with Hustle and Flow. However, that was 15 years ago.

Eddie must have a lot of confidence in that Dolemite movie. I'll say in that thread that I'll say here...The last time Eddie had a majority black cast directed by a white director it was Norbit. Dreamgirls was an ensemble piece based on a stage play so can't really count that.

John Landis was at least a very talented and known director in the 80s when he did Coming to America.

There had to be a talented black director they could have found to direct this.

I'll feel a lot better about this movie if Dolemite turns out to be good. If Dolemite is meh or trash then it kills all hype for this. Hoping for the best though.

The funny thing is that Eddie and John Landis had MAJOR beef on the set of Coming To America.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
The funny thing is that Eddie and John Landis had MAJOR beef on the set of Coming To America.
Yea I read about that. Eddie basically did him a solid and John Landis proceeded to be an a$$hole.

Luckily for Eddie they still delivered a classic. However, I think thats why Eddie directed Harlem Nights instead of letting someone else do it. Its a shame the critics destroyed that movie (maybe Eddie's confidence in directing as well?)

I really wish Eddie would just direct some of these films instead.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
“Every day we realize the legacy that we are playing with,” Brewer tells EW. “It is both a joy and incredibly daunting. There’s this moment that I always go back to: when we were screening Dolemite Is My Name, I worked on Empire a little bit, so I had some of the writers come and take a look at the movie. They were all in the back row of the screening room, and Eddie and Arsenio walked in and sat down in the second row, just like old friends do. And I could see everybody in the back’s eyes getting big and pointing down to both of them. In that moment of seeing Eddie and Arsenio sitting next to each other as friends, but also seeing the younger generation pointing at them and smiling, I remember saying to myself, ‘Yeah, I guess we need them right now, don’t we?’ I don’t want to sound too outrageous, but I think America needs Akeem and Semmi right now. [Laughs] I hope you know that’s sincere from me, that’s how I feel. We need them.”

https://ew.com

Don't need to be taking any tips from Empire writers

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
The more I think about it this never needed a sequel.

In fact they should have just did a spin off of the barbershop guys. Yea it might have been seen as too late with the Barbershop movies coming (those are hit and miss to me)

However, just tell a story set in the early 90s or maybe in the 2000s based around them. That would have been far more ideal. I think the best part of Life is when Eddie plays the older version of his character. So Eddie playing old characters = classic.
People expected Martin to be "Martin" to go along with Eddie. Instead, his character was so toned down to the point where we forgot Martin Lawrence was in the movie (except for a couple scenes)