Official 2022 Game Delay Thread

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
If we're lucky, regardless of if the Rona gets the fukk out of here, delays end up being less common due to studios changing up their development style.

It still boggles my mind that scope creep is still a thing, and is still the real culprit for most delays. Maybe instead of spending three years sitting aroind saying "Oh, it'd be cool if THIS happened", and then just figuring out how that's going to work later, they could maybe figure that shyt out as part of the conceptual phase.

This is what makes indie studios so important, these scope creep and crunch time issues are more prevalent in larger studios. With a steady supply of indie games, it gives the larger studios cover to stay away from over promising and under delivering.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is what makes indie studios so important, these scope creep and crunch time issues are more prevalent in larger studios. With a steady supply of indie games, it gives the larger studios cover to stay away from over promising and under delivering.

Agreed. I also need larger studios to realize that if the game's good, it's going to sell regardless. So, maybe it doesn't need to have a sprawling map with tons of random events, and 30 different systems that interact with each other in gameplay. Just focus on making a good, tight, enjoyable experience.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Agreed. I also need larger studios to realize that if the game's good, it's going to sell regardless. So, maybe it doesn't need to have a sprawling map with tons of random events, and 30 different systems that interact with each other in gameplay. Just focus on making a good, tight, enjoyable experience.

The bar keeps being raised so development time has to keep expanding. I think sony is smart by buying a bunch of support studios to mitigate the dev time

I also think thats why microsoft and sony are buying a lot of smaller and efficient teams that don’t necessarily warrant longer dev cycles and huge amounts of cash. You need teams like Housemarque or Double Fine that can put out AA quality games every other year