Official 2022 Game Delay Thread

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Until the pandemic fully goes away (which it may never) i expect every major game to get delayed a year out of its initial release

If we're lucky, regardless of if the Rona gets the fukk out of here, delays end up being less common due to studios changing up their development style.

It still boggles my mind that scope creep is still a thing, and is still the real culprit for most delays. Maybe instead of spending three years sitting aroind saying "Oh, it'd be cool if THIS happened", and then just figuring out how that's going to work later, they could maybe figure that shyt out as part of the conceptual phase.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Doubt most care but there is a good chance that MLB the Show 22 gets delayed.

Do sports games typically get delayed? Seems like they’re timed according to when the season starts. Also it’s not like they are ever building the game from scratch, they are updating the assets, adding a new mode, menu’s, music and putting it in a new box

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do sports games typically get delayed? Seems like they’re timed according to when the season starts. Also it’s not like they are ever building the game from scratch, they are updating the assets, adding a new mode, menu’s, music and putting it in a new box

MLB's delay would be almost entirely associated with the lockout. They probably can't do shyt with player likenesses until the lockout is resolved. It's even worse since MLB is the publisher of the game on non Playstation platforms.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
MLB's delay would be almost entirely associated with the lockout. They probably can't do shyt with player likenesses until the lockout is resolved. It's even worse since MLB is the publisher of the game on non Playstation platforms.

Do they re-do mo cap every year?

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do they re-do mo cap every year?

Minimal mo-cap is done each year if any, but the rebenue splits on the game are part of the CBA between the union and the league. Even more so when the league itself publishes one of the SKUs. The actual game itself is probably fine, but they just can't do anything with it until MLB gets their business in order with the players.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

If WWE counts, thats the last one to get delayed to my knowledge.

I know EA has done some delays on NBA Live but it was understandable because they were terrible

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If WWE counts, thats the last one to get delayed to my knowledge.

I know EA has done some delays on NBA Live but it was understandable because they were terrible

Yeah, I would think WWE is a little different since they don’t have to time the launch around a season.

Minimal mo-cap is done each year if any, but the rebenue splits on the game are part of the CBA between the union and the league. Even more so when the league itself publishes one of the SKUs. The actual game itself is probably fine, but they just can't do anything with it until MLB gets their business in order with the players.

Interesting. I mean, like you said I don’t really have a horse in this race as I don’t play baseball games but it will be interesting to see what MLB does