OFF DUTY COP Shoots/Kills Man After Running Down 4 year old Daughter

Daps
What would you do if this was your daughter and you were in this situation?

CHICAGO – An off-duty Chicago police officer shot and killed a man late Saturday night after a deadly confrontation ensued when the cop struck the man’s daughter with his motorcycle.

The officer was heading home Saturday through the town of Maywood when his bike hit 4-year old Taniyah Middleton. When the girl’s father Christopher, 26, confronted the officer over the incident, the officer shot and killed him.

Friends of the late father remembered him Sunday as a “helpful” and “happy” man.

“Chris was a great father,” Middleton’s cousin Mathis Hoskin told ABC’s Chicago affiliate WLS. “He was always helpful, never mad – always happy with a smile on his face.”

But the events that transpired Saturday night are unclear. Pat Camden, a spokesman for the Fraternal Order of Police, paints a very different picture of the incident than Middleton’s friends.

The 43-year old officer, an eight-year veteran of the force, was driving back from work when the girl suddenly sprinted into the street, Camden said.

“He was on his way home and a 4-year-old ran out into traffic,” said Camden. “He had a choice of hitting her head-on or dumping his bike and taking the personal injury to avoid hitting the 4-year old – which he did. But as he dumped the bike, it slid across the road. She wound up getting nicked by the bike. He wound up with a broken ankle, a dislocated shoulder.”

“After the accident he gets up and the girl’s father became irate with him and comes over to him,” Camden continued. “The officer tells him, ‘I’m the police. Take it easy.’ The guy says, ‘I don’t give a [bleep] who you are’ and hits him in the face. Another man hits him from behind. The officer goes to the ground. They’re beating him and he’s about to lose consciousness. He pulls his weapon to defend himself at that point, fires one shot, and kills one of the individuals who happens to be the father of the 4-year-old.”

“Had the father simply stood there instead of attacking a police officer he might be alive today,” Camden stated.

Middleton’s relatives said it was understandable that the girl’s father was distressed by the incident.

“Of course a father would be upset at the initial reaction of seeing the child in this condition and he confronted the guy and they got into a confrontation,” Middleton’s uncle Darrell Davis told WLS.

But they claim the officer never identified himself as a cop before firing at Middleton.

“He never let anyone know he was a police officer until after he shot him,” witness Cordell Haggard said to WLS.

Both the girl and the officer were transported to Loyola University Medical Center. The girl, Camden said, had “bruises and abrasions.” The second man who confronted Middleton, according to Camden, was taken into custody by Maywood Police.

Chicago Police said the incident is under investigation by the Independent Police Review Authority. Larry Merritt, a spokesman for the Independent Police Review Authority, told ABC News they are now “canvassing the area and getting interviews.”

“We were notified of a shooting involving an off-duty police officer in Maywood at approximately 10:30 p.m.,” Merritt said. “We are now investigating it.”

VIDEO: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/08/cop-shoots-man-after-running-down-daughter

Akata Man Bromo

Still learning....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade/Broward
Officer wasnt completely wrong in this one... I mean he was getting jumped after being in an accident :comeon:

Im a father myself so I understand the mans anger.... But you dont think the guy felt like shyt after hitting a child? Hell he even tried to make the bike miss the girl and all.

Sad story all around though.

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Officer wasnt completely wrong in this one... I mean he was getting jumped after being in an accident :comeon:

Im a father myself so I understand the mans anger.... But you dont think the guy felt like shyt after hitting a child? Hell he even tried to make the bike miss the girl and all.

Sad story all around though.
My first reaction would have been to go see if my daughter is seriously injured and call 911. If she died, I can see myself turning into Super Saiyan Level 8 and fukking shyt up. At this point, there's no reasoning in the world that can stop me.

But I don't blame the cop for defending himself. The guy probably thought he was gonna get killed. Sad shyt.

Daps
The report said that the cop claimed to have tried to swerve and witness said that THAT WASN'T THE CASE.

I've seen Police blatantly lie through their teeth in court, under oath, so I am not quick to take the cops side. He may have swerved but he may not have swerved.

Its just fukked up this girl has to grow up without her father...smh

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
This one is not quite the same as the last two you posted.

I suppose the offer could completely be lying, but the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. If he was just in an accident and adrenaline-ed up after almost killing a little baby girl and really does have a broken ankle and a dislocated shoulder......if the dude did ANYTHING aggressive at all, I could probably understand.

Akata Man Bromo

Still learning....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade/Broward
The report said that the cop claimed to have tried to swerve and witness said that THAT WASN'T THE CASE.

I've seen Police blatantly lie through their teeth in court, under oath, so I am not quick to take the cops side. He may have swerved but he may not have swerved.

Its just fukked up this girl has to grow up without her father...smh

I feel you man... But even if dude didnt see the girl and had no time to swerve out of the way and hit her On ACCIDENT you cant go all the way ham on dude. Unless 1. He kills her ( i understand) 2. Was clearly drunk or 3. Driving mad crazy trying to stunt.

The officer must have felt like shyt after hitting the lil girl man. Why add insult to injury? Do everything possible to make sure your little girl is good and deal with the fukkery later...

Story is sad though man :to:

Metta World Movement

Peace and love...to all!!
Daps
I understand being pissed at the dude but it was an ACCIDENT. And based on the report, it wasn't like the accident happened as a result of the cop riding recklessly; the girl ran into the street.

You see your daughter get hurt as a result of an accident, and instead of tending to her injuries/calling an ambulance first, you wanna play big, tough papa bear daddy and beat up the nikka....who's already hurt his damn self?

It doesn't matter if he was a cop, or even if he identified himself as a cop first. If I was in his position and getting my ass kicked by two nikkas after getting hurt in an accident, I'm pullin' out the heat, too

charknicks

All Star
Daps
First, we may never get the TRUE story since the police are involved. They like to lie, especially when it comes to us black folk.

The cop was in the wrong, pulling that "I'm the police, calm down" BS. Nah, man, if you are OFF DUTY, you are NOT a police officer at that time. Period. He should get charged for murder just like any one of us would.

The kid's dad (and random thug) were wrong for stomping on this officer though. The dad should have been checking on the girl. And you know its 2012, so half these people are carrying guns now. You cant just stomp anyone out anymore. I feel bad for the little girl. Hope she is alright.

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh, I remember a story up near Baltimore a year ago when a van drove into a group of people on the sidewalk and ended up killing a couple of people. Relatives of the people who got killed saw the accident and went ham on the driver and passengers and fukked their world up. But what everyone didn't see was that the reason the van drove onto the sidewalk was because it got sideswiped by another car.

Metta World Movement

Peace and love...to all!!
Daps
Breh, I remember a story up near Baltimore a year ago when a van drove into a group of people on the sidewalk and ended up killing a couple of people. Relatives of the people who got killed saw the accident and went ham on the driver and passengers and fukked their world up. But what everyone didn't see was that the reason the van drove onto the sidewalk was because it got sideswiped by another car.

:smh:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Feel bad for ol boy losing his daughter. If thats how the situation went down though :yeshrug:

But cops lie a lot so you never know.