NYC Spends 59K on Mortal Kombat and More to "Keep Inmates in Line"

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
NYC Spends 59K on Mortal Kombat and More to "Keep Inmates in Line"

The New York Post has revealed that NYC's Correction Department spent over $59,000 of taxpayer money on new video games for inmates. The titles included fighting games like Mortal Kombat 1 and Street Fighter 6.

The New York Post claims that the Correction Department spent a total of $59,260 on PlayStation 4 and 5 games to "keep inmates in line". City records show the funds were earmarked for the agency's "Adult Programs Division", which purchased 1,247 games, including the popular fighting game Mortal Kombat 1. This year's versions of Madden NFL and NBA 2K24 were also purchased, according to The Post's information. A longtime officer divulged that groups of inmates would play the games on a rotating basis in the facility's rec rooms.

Access to video games is reportedly used to encourage good behavior among the inmates, hopefully leading to fewer altercations, fighting and rule-breaking. The Post reported that the Department of Corrections has admitted that jail officials "dangled access to consoles" for years now, using them as a way to get "persistently violent" offenders to behave better. In 2020, the agency was under similar fire when it spent $82,500 in funding to purchase knock-off Game Boys for the inmates' entertainment rather than securing additional COVID-19 testing kits and face masks.

Crotchety old men malding like terminal boomers over this:

Critics Slam NYC Correction Dept. For "Coddling Criminals"

While the Correction Department may see the use of video games as a way to inspire positive behavior from its inmates, many people have slammed the city's methods. A correction officer of 15 years told The Post: "You have homeless people who don't have anything, but if you come to jail, you have everything -- we'll spend $59,000 for video games!"

Benny Boscio, the head of the Correction Officers Benevolent Association, also slammed the agency for using the funds for video games instead of more important matters like air conditioning during the ongoing heat wave. "Surely, if they have enough money for video games, there's enough money to make sure our essential workforce remains healthy and comfortable during extreme weather conditions," Boscio said.

Mortal Kombat 1 is available now for PlayStation, Xbox, PC and Nintendo Switch.

Eat felon brehs :ehh:

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The only people who would be upset are people that WANT to play video games all day. You can only be but so inhumane, most of these people are coming back out into society.

An inmate can be forced to comply, I don't know how they can be compared to a homeless person.

I have seen homeless people hold down the same corners for years on years I think the hood would chip in on a gaming system if it meant getting that person off the street and out of the way.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The only people who would be upset are people that WANT to play video games all day. You can only be but so inhumane, most of these people are coming back out into society.

An inmate can be forced to comply, I don't know how they can be compared to a homeless person.

I have seen homeless people hold down the same corners for years on years I think the hood would chip in on a gaming system if it meant getting that person off the street and out of the way.

It’s pretty much just something for them to do so they aren’t sitting around sharpening the ends of tooth brushes and making toilet hooch

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
you won't be smilin' on Riker's Island :ufdup:

...until they pass the controller :blessed: