Nothing Lasts Forever by Nas maybe my favorite Nas song

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Definitely.

The original I Am was gearing up to be better than Illmatic. I've been saying that since '98 and I still feel like that. But Lost Tapes, Illmatic and IWW are the Top 3 untouchable Nas joints. You can't go wrong with those. That's all day.
The OG I Am is something I truly wish drops in some capacity someday. I made my own but seeing an official tracklist at least would be the best gift ever

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I love that last verse, some of the beautiful shyt ever said about individual growth and letting the past stay in the past along with some commentary on gentrification sprinkled in.

Worries of failure, when you're buried is your familia
Gon' keep your name prospering to the maximum?
You should live, there's only one life, that's the physical
Rich or poor or in jail, why the fukk should you be miserable?
Things happen for reasons, the clock keeps ticking
Love could have your heartbeat skipping, thugs turn to religion
The bytch you love could start to hate you
The shyt you used to do escape you
Things that make you laugh represent the past
Reminisce the block, gamble Gs on the floor
nikkas used to be the man, you don't see 'em no more
Your favorite restaurants and favorite stores, they tore 'em down
Turned 'em into shopping malls, the hood is like a ghost town
Haunted by souls who thought that time stood still
Just live your life to the fullest, never look back, it's real
Facts. Nas is the undisputed GOAT of street poetry

Krs2

Pro
Daps
The lyrics are good but beat and hook are not that good imo. It would be interesting to hear a remix on a better beat

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
it's a special song 100% one of Nas best from that era.

esp when you live to see it all happen. Stores closed down. The neighborhoods changed. The friends that fell off or got lost a long the way "Thought that time stood still"

how easy it is to get lost in time, or think things will last forever, and be shocked when they don't. There a are a few eras of my life that felt like they would last forever, or we didn't realize how fleeting they were. Summer 2008 is one I think of a lot. it's a fallacy of youth and a blessing but the idea that things will always be one way, when you are young, it feels like the truth, but it never is. never can be.

what the consenus on when this was recorded? 1999? 2001? For the Stillmatic session or before/after?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
it's a special song 100% one of Nas best from that era.

esp when you live to see it all happen. Stores closed down. The neighborhoods changed. The friends that fell off or got lost a long the way "Thought that time stood still"

how easy it is to get lost in time, or think things will last forever, and be shocked when they don't. There a are a few eras of my life that felt like they would last forever, or we didn't realize how fleeting they were. Summer 2008 is one I think of a lot. it's a fallacy of youth and a blessing but the idea that things will always be one way, when you are young, it feels like the truth, but it never is. never can be.

what the consenus on when this was recorded? 1999? 2001? For the Stillmatic session or before/after?
Sounds like 1999 to me, in terms of vocals

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The lyrics are good but beat and hook are not that good imo. It would be interesting to hear a remix on a better beat

giphy.webp