Nintendo president says company won’t use generative AI in its games

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps

Despite other video game corporations implementing generative AI technology, Nintendo has taken a quietly public negative stance on the issue.

According to an investor Q&A from late June (spotted and translated by Tweaktown), President Shuntaro Furukawa said that while the company remains open to experimenting with technological advancements like generative AI, there are no plans to use it while creating new games due to problems with copyright.

Furukawa is not against AI as a whole, noting that AI has been used for NPCs and other parts of game development. However, “generative AI, which has been a hot topic in recent years, can be more creative, but we also recognize that it has issues with intellectual property rights.”

He continued: “We have decades of know-how in creating optimal gaming experiences for our customers, and while we remain flexible in responding to technological developments, we hope to continue to deliver value that is unique to us and cannot be achieved through technology alone.”

Nintendo has always been very protective of its intellectual property — you can argue that it’s its top priority. The company has never been concerned about using the latest hardware or following many video game trends, focusing more on making games in its successful brands. There’s a reason why the Nintendo Switch still sells well despite being around seven years old.

The corporation’s stance is in contrast to ones made by its competition, like Electronic Arts, PlayStation, and Microsoft/Xbox. On the hardware side, Nvidia has become one of America’s most valuable companies due in part to its implementation of generative AI technology in its chips.

However, so far the video game and AI relationship has been a bit of a mess, with a lot of vague language about new features, such as NPC generation, and concerns around human work, such as voice acting. The moves have also progressed in line with numerous layoffs throughout the game industry.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Am I battlin' ghost or AI? nikka feelin' like Joel Osteen
Funny, he was in a film called "AI"
And my sixth sense tellin' me to off him

PatCake

Alkali Nonmetals
Daps
Reppin
I, for one, welcome our new space overlords.
AI experienced an explosion only a few years ago, and games take years to develop so companies either havent wanted to slap on AI to a project mid-way through development, or havent had time to incorperate it.
There's also the legality of AI and the possibility of the AI generating something that could cause PR issues (it's easier to not have a magic machine generating infinite content that you have no control over) and I dont imagine a triple AAA company with shareholders to please will take a risk when it's easier to just do what's tried and true.

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nintendo will eventually do what everyone else is doing once their game cost and development times start to rise.

They can’t make sub HD mobile sized games and sell them for 60 dollars forever

if the switch 2 is anything like the original switch, being underpowered is a given. Theyll hold out as long as possible.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if the switch 2 is anything like the original switch, being underpowered is a given. Theyll hold out as long as possible.

We’ll be lucky if the switch 2 is either on par or more powerful than the ps4, hopefully pro level but I’m not going to hold my breath. Nintendo doesn’t care about tech because they know the next Zelda, Mario and Pokémon will make it sell gangbusters.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
We’ll be lucky if the switch 2 is either on par or more powerful than the ps4, hopefully pro level but I’m not going to hold my breath. Nintendo doesn’t care about tech because they know the next Zelda, Mario and Pokémon will make it sell gangbusters.
shyt gon be a regular PS4 powerwise..... :mjlol:

most you can hope for is PS4 Pro.