get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

https://abc7ny.com/

NY Board of Regents votes to to prohibit Native American mascot use​

April 18, 2023

School districts on Long Island with Native American mascots have until 2024-2025 school year to change their mascots after Regents vote.
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Board of Regents has unanimously voted to prohibit the use of indigenous names, mascots and imagery in all New York public schools, which will affect 11 school districts on Long Island.

All logos and mascots will need to be changed by the end of the 2024-2025 school year.

Schools that do not comply could become ineligible for state aid.

The provision will not apply to any school officer or employee who is a member of a tribal nation and is "utilizing or promoting an Indigenous name, logo, or mascot of such tribal nation."

Geode

All Star
Daps
Yeah, the racism/insensitivity/arrogance in this region of the country. They don't view the members of these Nations as human beings, so with a straight face they fight against measures to stop disrespecting them.
about 95% is racism, especially the ones fighting hard. But you could get a waiver from an indigenous tribe. My hometown missed the deadline, which was stupid because the local tribe I think is cool with it, and would have ok'd the waiver. Everybody knows at least one person related to the Shinnecocks, since they're pretty much black at this point.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
about 95% is racism, especially the ones fighting hard. But you could get a waiver from an indigenous tribe. My hometown missed the deadline, which was stupid because the local tribe I think is cool with it, and would have ok'd the waiver. Everybody knows at least one person related to the Shinnecocks, since they're pretty much black at this point.
Thanks. The Nations in this region are organized, visible, and accessible. Since the wind has been blowing in this direction for years, there is no reason for a school to have not already contacted a leader/spokesman from those Nations, and gotten feedback from them to get suggestions.
What I would have done is to ask them for a symbol that their group reveres and asked them if we could adopt that as our mascot over a human being caricature.
Nobody connected to a school with a caricature mascot has a leg to stand on protesting a 2023 measure.

Last edited: