New Mistwalker RPG Game "Fantasian"

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
It's been a while since we've heard from Mistwalker

• One key feature of Fantasian is called Dimengeon: you can "delay" battles with random encounters by sending monsters into an alternate dimension and then decide when to fight all of them at once Sakaguchi also cites FF6 as partial inspiration
Fantasian, the new adventure from Hironobu Sakaguchi’s studio Mistwalker, is a classic Japanese role-playing game at heart. Fantasian has it all: turn-based battles, an amnesiac hero, a cast of pretty protagonists on interweaving adventures, and, of course, an airship.

• But Fantasian stands out for one design decision that has garnered attention. Mistwalker’s RPG was built using more than 150 handcrafted physical dioramas. The game’s 3D characters are overlaid on top of them. The miniatures-based environments give the game a unique sense of charm and warmth, Sakaguchi said in an interview with Polygon, and helped inform Fantasian’s game mechanics.
  • Fantasian features a system that twists how players deal with random monster encounters. Unlike the classic Final Fantasy games that Sakaguchi created, where a fight with a group of enemies could arrive unexpectedly, Fantasian lets players deal with random encounters ... later. Mistwalker calls it the Dimengeon system — a mashup of dimension and dungeon — and it sends the monsters that players encounter to an alternate dimension. Players can then jump into a Dimengeon when they want and enjoy the satisfaction of wiping them all out at once.

EvfX0DMXcAcRjTW

EvfX0u7XIAMEmiT

EvfX1W3XUAU-SbS

EvfX2CTWYAIp_XO

• All these Fantasian environments are literally handcrafted by the way 150 artists came together to build dioramas in real life that were then put into the game

EvfdpoRXEAAq-iu

EvfdrYKXcAQkC_O

EvfY7O8XMAYaK8F

story trailer-

looks better than BD2

Looks pretty dope, but I don't like that it has random encounters. That's another antiquated game design that needs to completely be left behind now. I can deal with turn-based and no vocals/text only games, but I draw the line at random encounters in this day and age. How hard is it to simply put the monsters on the field and have to interact with them in order to start the battle!?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Y’all always forget the iPad/iPhone is more powerful than a switch. It’s not even close
Bravely Default is a 4 warriors of light game all about the job system. Warriors of light games are usually pretty light on story and about the battle system. I watched that trailer and I don't even have a real feel for what this is.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It's a damn shame these titans aren't working on block busters of the caliber of Lost Odyssey regularly.
Lost Odyssey was something Microsoft commissioned. Mistwalker designed it and the development was farmed out to a game development studio. Sakaguchi has mostly been in gaming purgatory since he almost destroyed Squaresoft with Final Fantasy The Spirits Within. The only time he got out was when Microsoft was looking to try and boost sales in Japan. Nintendo also used him for The Last Story but Nintendo now has an in-house JRPG team with Takahashi in Monolith Soft.

Just being honest nobody is gonna work with Sakaguchi. Despite the Personas and Final Fantasies, and Xenoblades, and Kingdom Hearts JRPGs aren't mainstream for the most part. Companies like Compile Heart, Falcom, and Nippon Ichi that target the niche segment not gonna mess with dude. Sakaguchi is a relic from a long gone era of old school traditional JRPGs. There's just no real place for what he does now outside of mobile. Anything JRPG in the mainstream has moved away for his style of storytelling and game dseign.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Lost Odyssey was something Microsoft commissioned. Mistwalker designed it and the development was farmed out to a game development studio. Sakaguchi has mostly been in gaming purgatory since he almost destroyed Squaresoft with Final Fantasy The Spirits Within. The only time he got out was when Microsoft was looking to try and boost sales in Japan. Nintendo also used him for The Last Story but Nintendo now has an in-house JRPG team with Takahashi in Monolith Soft.

Just being honest nobody is gonna work with Sakaguchi. Despite the Personas and Final Fantasies, and Xenoblades, and Kingdom Hearts JRPGs aren't mainstream for the most part. Companies like Compile Heart, Falcom, and Nippon Ichi that target the niche segment not gonna mess with dude. Sakaguchi is a relic from a long gone era of old school traditional JRPGs. There's just no real place for what he does now outside of mobile. Anything JRPG in the mainstream has moved away for his style of storytelling and game dseign.

I mean, except bravely default or octopath, the former which just came out and has people in the other thread are raving about it. shyt, his 360 games were less traditional than the new Dragon Quest

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I mean, except bravely default or octopath, the former which just came out and has people in the other thread are raving about it. shyt, his 360 games were less traditional than the new Dragon Quest
So who is gonna deal with him? He's just the odd man out. He pioneered a genre that has mostly moved away from the style of games he created. All those games you listed are Square Enix games. They're not bringing him back after he almost killed their company on that flop movie. He's Ken Kutaragi status.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You hate to see it:francis:

Lost Odyssey is one of my favorite JRPGS M$ needs to drop another bag

is that on available for purcahse/gamepass?

I remember really liking it at first but there was just so much story hidden behind walls of text. I liked Blue Dragon more, felt like I was playing a dragon ball rpg