Never really understood the idea of early access games

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Why do people want to pay to play an unfinished game?

Its like going to a restaurant paying full price for your meal and having to taste the food in the back and tell the chef it needs more salt.

Then being told to come back in a few weeks/months when the chef has really perfected the recipe

boriquaking

In Sauce We Trust!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Big Gete Star
Why do people want to pay to play an unfinished game?

Its like going to a restaurant paying full price for your meal and having to taste the food in the back and tell the chef it needs more salt.

Then being told to come back in a few weeks/months when the chef has really perfected the recipe
I don’t have a horse in this race and no beef but I just wanted to day Ultraman fukking suck.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Bugs, glitches, and other issues are found when you open up the game to a larger group of people.

yeah, but you have to pay for what is essentially being a beta tester. I also kind of feel like early access titles suck the air out of the official 1.0 releases of games. By the time the games officially comes out I feel like a lot of people moved on from it already, especially when Early Access goes on for years.

TreySav

D-Block General
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
yeah, but you have to pay for what is essentially being a beta tester. I also kind of feel like early access titles suck the air out of the official 1.0 releases of games. By the time the games officially comes out I feel like a lot of people moved on from it already, especially when Early Access goes on for years.

You’re right but the gaming community at large seem to be fine with it
:yeshrug:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
that's part of it... but you're also *most of the time* making sure that your feedback - and others who are legitimately invested in the success of a project - is taken and measured throughout the most important hurdles near the end of a game's development

like for all the shyt Baldur's Gate 3 gets, they've been steered WAY back on track by the feedback they've given. Hades wouldn't have been the title it was without early access feedback and support either. It made sure that a lot of content actually got added to the game once the trajectory was set. Probably the best recent example.

Actually, I'd argue that Hades would've flopped harder than Pyre if they hadn't gone early access. That money early on, in a good company, allows good ideas to be taken further than otherwise possible as it lets devs/pubs know that a floor will be reasonably met.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Cause there's a large than people want to admit part of the gaming community who are just losers with no friends so these early access games allow them to feel like they are "apart" of something, that they somehow played some role in the final release of the game, but in real life you are absolutely 100% doing NOTHING but paying a company to beta test there game, which is out fukking rageous, but whatever, their money their business.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
most people just pay money to play a videogame. it being 'early access' is inconsequential if they're having fun playing the game

beyond that, people do it to support the project, and/or because they like being involved in, and/or witnessing, the development of a videogame

Hey_zeus

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Some games peak in EA like Cube World. It's not a big deal. I don't understand the hate. Most of these games are $15-20 in EA. If you get 10 hours of enjoyment out of it. You won...then the game hits 1.0 and may be chalked full of content with improved mechanics etc. If you're smart about it it's a great part of the industry.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Early access is a great way for devs to get feedback on their games, and make a little cash to push through the final development struggles.

It eliminates the need to “rush” a game out.

On the flip side it gives fans a chance to get in early and shape how the game ends up.

Win, Win on both sides. More games should do EA.