[Netflix] "Reptile" - Benicio Del Toro, Timberlake, A. Silverstone

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't understand why this movie is is being trashed by critics. It was engaging and mysterious and enjoyable. I see it as a 8/10 .

Good acting. Even timber lake was decent but I didn’t know much about him or the mother or the connection to the drug business. I didn’t feel any real emotion to any characters

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Mess of a screenplay. First time director. No sense of pacing, too many characters, however well acted, and they all are. There's so much talent, it's a let down it's not better.

Too much is very obvious, and the style/writing isn't good enough for a genre exercise. Can't blame any of the actors for that. There's never really any credibility to the whole sex murder/mystery. No one is really convinced of any of it. A better script would have binded the characters closer and made them more likeable. Less on the nose for sure. Takes a lot from better movies like Cop Land.

From the first scene it lays it all out, all of them looks like criminals, like me and my homies at dinner, expensive watches, trips to Europe, side businesses. Shady shyt. I didn't know a lot going in, and thought at first they WERE mafia or whatever, from the opening shot. Then mid movie, there's a scene where he takes off his rolex and throws it at him. Daring him to become one of the crew. or else. it drains all the tension from the movie. And all that's left is the inevitable domestic shootout, and one last reveal of a conspirator.

The guy from Miami Vice is practically sneering every line that he's a gangster.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Watching it now, it's good to a degree, but slow asf. Too many scenes that meander, drag along, and don't move the plot forward at all.