Netflix Originals Banned From Competition At Cannes

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
If Netflix movies aren't TV movies, then what are HBO movies? Both are on a platform that isn't cinema based.
Literally speaking you're right. The Tale was the most talked about movie of Sundance and since it was sold to HBO it's not eligible for Oscars , but is now an Emmy favorite for next year

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
:francis: Wow what a bunch or snobby a$$holes....

Maybe Amazon, Netflix and Hulu should create their own awards show or some shyt then ban all these old snobby french cacs and see how it feels?!?:coffee:

killacal

Banned
Daps

Maybe Amazon, Netflix and Hulu should create their own awards show or some shyt then ban all these old snobby french cacs and see how it feels?!?:coffee:
Its about their market getting snatched up very aggressively.

They created a fake festival which takes in Millions in revenue the whole town ate off of.:mjgrin: And it turn they told us what movies we should watch. Netflix just cut them off on some walmart shyt:picard:

This is a Cannes blitzkrieg we just can't tell because its still fukkin France :russ:

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps

Thats what emmys are for.

Amazon at least respects the theater window for movies. Netflix tries that day and date stuff which is a cheat.:hubie:

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
I just don't understand the caping I'm seeing [in some places] for Netflix here.

It's going to be hard for Netflix to get any major feature properties because they basically cut off all ancillary revenue. So they could never have a film like IT or Black Panther that just totally exceeds expectations. Black Panther has just turned into a billion dollar franchise for Disney (not including the actual billion+ the movie made). If it were released to Netflix, there would be no DVD's, no theatrical release, just straight to their service. And because there is no box office, there is no additional hype. It's just the movie got dropped and people watch it and then move on. Movie releases are still very much psychological.

For movies like Mudbound, where you don't expect it to make much money, I guess I can sorta see the thought process. But with movies like The Purge, IT, Girls Trip, The Other Guys, ending up on Netflix first, I don't believe that it's necessarily a win.

There has to be a mechanism where some of their films can have theatrical releases. Because if not, once Amazon truly commits to making feature films over 25mm (and it is coming), all bets are off, because that's where a lot of the talent is going to want to go first.

Curufinwe

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Brussel
Cannes is a cinema/film festival though right?
hasn't that always been a stipulation for winning an award at the festival?
Cannes is a mafia of french cinema.
They locked the game so tight that no one can enter without a 3 year approval.

I have a good friend in the business. A true movie curator and eve him, is now anti-Netflix to keep his access and job.
You have to know that 2 major firm control French movies and if you release a movie you have to wait 6+ before releasing it in on of the two channel than in DVD/VOD after 3/6 additionnal month.

The system is protecting himself but is already falling.
Netflix will keep wining Oscar and other prize anyway.