Netflix Doc: Pepsi, where’s my Jet?

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
Explain. It was presented on the commercial like everything else. Show me.
It was not a legitimate offer. A reasonable person would not consider an offer of soda points worth $700k for a $32 million military fighter jet. Thus, there can be no contract when no offer was made. Advertisers are allowed some form of “puffery” in ads without it being considered false advertising.

MustafaSTL

Daps
It wasn't presented as a reasonable prize, but in jest. It wasn't possible to even acquire in the presented format, with vertical takeoff in civilian form, it wasn't presented as being even realistic as an actual prize.

The kid could have got 1 mil settlement and netted a profit, but his dumb ass was trying to run a game. Let his error be a lesson to some of you who think you are going to scam your way to success.
Yeah he got far enough even getting a settlement offer. I really don’t think the offer was that much either. Settlements are often valued based on the amount of attorney fees you’re trying to save. Can’t imagine throwing a milli on the table right off the bat. They likely embellished that. But whatever offer he got, the entitlement in him made him want more.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Lol, they added the disclaimer in the us. But the rationale i gave you was agreed to by the judge and confirmed. It was a tongue and cheek offer that wasnt made in earnest and couldnt possibly be expected to be legitimate.

It was not a legitimate offer. A reasonable person would not consider an offer of soda points worth $700k for a $32 million military fighter jet. Thus, there can be no contract when no offer was made. Advertisers are allowed some form of “puffery” in ads without it being considered false advertising.
You're both just regurgitating shyt from the doc. Where LEGALLY does it say you can advertise something like that with no disclaimer and not be held accountable? If the judge went the other way, or a jury said so, he would have been owed a jet or 32M. That's the judge's discretion (or bias). While the offer is ludicrous and stupid, Pepsi can certainly afford to give away 32M dollars. It being ridiculous doesn't automatically make it illegal.

MustafaSTL

Daps
You're both just regurgitating shyt from the doc. Where LEGALLY does it say you can advertise something like that with no disclaimer and not be held accountable? If the judge went the other way, or a jury said so, he would have been owed a jet or 32M. That's the judge's discretion (or bias). While the offer is ludicrous and stupid, Pepsi can certainly afford to give away 32M dollars. It being ridiculous doesn't automatically make it illegal.
I’m a lawyer. I’m not regurgitating anything other than my knowledge of contract law. I also took an advertising law class. I know what I’m talking about. The judge was not biased in this decision, and if she was, the case would easily have been overturned by the Second Circuit. Except it was upheld, per curium, which means a unanimous decision by the court. I explained that this was not an “offer” therefore it cannot constitute a contract. The lawyer for the dude wanted him to take the settlement because he knew it wasn’t a winnable case. He should have done a better job of explaining how that settlement offer was the best outcome possible in this case.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
This documentary was interesting but ripe in white privilege.

I wish I was 20 years old and had a friend who would write me a check for $700000 in 1994 or whenever this was taking place. Must be nice.
I wonder how that hoffman guy made his money.
If anything the main guy should have used his friend to get a cushy job, but I guess he wanted to keep it real and do what he was "passionate about".
I mean all the ligation must have cost money right? You telling me these high price lawyers were working for free? lol

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This documentary was interesting but ripe in white privilege.

I wish I was 20 years old and had a friend who would write me a check for $700000 in 1994 or whenever this was taking place. Must be nice.
I wonder how that hoffman guy made his money.
If anything the main guy should have used his friend to get a cushy job, but I guess he wanted to keep it real and do what he was "passionate about".
I mean all the ligation must have cost money right? You telling me these high price lawyers were working for free? lol

Def weird for a man to just take on the fatherly role and write checks and go through all that trouble. I guess he really enjoyed having a hiking buddy

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Def weird for a man to just take on the fatherly role and write checks and go through all that trouble. I guess he really enjoyed having a hiking buddy
No hiking buddy is worth a check for $700K, especially in the 90s, that was lot of money back then.
And just be like hey this high power lawyer I know btw, and this other high power buddy of mine in advertising.

fukk Pepsi though. :pacspit:

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They made that biased judge thing way more dramatic. That shyt wasn’t surviving summary judgment from any judge. Legally they simply did not have a case.

As a matter of fact, the case was appealed and was upheld by the Second Circuit. It was a good story that got national attention due to Avenatti using the media (same as he did with Stormy Daniels), but it had zero legal legs to stand on.

Ehh, they had a case. You can't just put something out there and then say it was supposed to be a joke.

People have sued and won for less.

MustafaSTL

Daps
Ehh, they had a case. You can't just put something out there and then say it was supposed to be a joke.

People have sued and won for less.
What case was it where there was an ad that was supposed to be a joke but ended up being considered an offer legally? I keep saying they never had a case because it literally ended in summary judgment with no depositions taken or anything. Then upheld unanimously by the Second Circuit. That’s the very definition of “didn’t have a case.”

Killah Ray

Carolina hail to thee....
Daps
Pepsi was shady as shyt with some of those promotions in the 90s...I remember my mom having the matching phrase back when there were words under the caps in the mid 90s for a Jeep I think it was. She sent them off for the sweepstakes and Pepsi sent a letter back saying something about one of the caps were off...but offered her free Pepsi for life...my mama threw that letter straight in the trash but never got a lawyer to fight it....

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What case was it where there was an ad that was supposed to be a joke but ended up being considered an offer legally? I keep saying they never had a case because it literally ended in summary judgment with no depositions taken or anything. Then upheld unanimously by the Second Circuit. That’s the very definition of “didn’t have a case.”

I don’t need to. One, you’d dismiss it anyway. Two, there’s a reason we have disclosures. Because someone at some point in history sued after companies misrepresented themselves in a statement publicly. The judge cut Pepsi a break because Pepsi was smart enough to seek an amenable setting. I’ll admit, it did sound ridiculous to buy someone a jet. But the argument wasn’t if it was silly. The argument is if Pepsi can get away with saying things on TV and then try to wiggle themselves out of it when someone actually follows through. You don’t see Apple promising to buy people jets. It was just as dumb for Pepsi to put that ad out as it was for the guy to follow through. If the judge was fair, she would’ve ordered Pepsi to pay him. Say $10 million. And the guy could take it or leave it. That way it sets the precedent to not go on TV promising dumb shyt without disclosures that it’s a joke.

MustafaSTL

Daps
shyt in the doc they talked about the mcdonalds coffee case where a lady won
Yeah, she got burned by hot coffee she bought from McDonald’s, a legitimate legal claim. Not a $32 million military fighter jet for $700k in soda points.

MustafaSTL

Daps
I don’t need to. One, you’d dismiss it anyway. Two, there’s a reason we have disclosures. Because someone at some point in history sued after companies misrepresented themselves in a statement publicly. The judge cut Pepsi a break because Pepsi was smart enough to seek an amenable setting. I’ll admit, it did sound ridiculous to buy someone a jet. But the argument wasn’t if it was silly. The argument is if Pepsi can get away with saying things on TV and then try to wiggle themselves out of it when someone actually follows through. You don’t see Apple promising to buy people jets. It was just as dumb for Pepsi to put that ad out as it was for the guy to follow through. If the judge was fair, she would’ve ordered Pepsi to pay him. Say $10 million. And the guy could take it or leave it. That way it sets the precedent to not go on TV promising dumb shyt without disclosures that it’s a joke.
It wasn’t in the judge’s position to order a payment. This was a summary judgment motion brought by the defense basically requesting the court to dismiss the case because even assuming all the facts being true, the case should be dismissed as a matter of law. The judge isn’t ruling on how much or anything, just whether the plaintiff has a case that should be dismissed without reserving the case for a jury.

In hindsight, could they have rethought this due to the unnecessary legal fees and media attention? Sure. Maybe the commercial actually netted revenue from people that wanted the jackets and shades that offset those legal fees, don’t know. Regardless, from a legal standpoint, there was never a case.