need troubleshoot help with pc (is my motherboard fried or my cpu)

Daps
Reppin
computer boots up but no display. red light indicating a problem with cpu on the board is on. the pc was working fine until i ran benchmarks to do some test and the pc crashed and no boot ever since.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
computer boots up but no display. red light indicating a problem with cpu on the board is on. the pc was working fine until i ran benchmarks to do some test and the pc crashed and no boot ever since.
Do you have graphics card? Did you try to overclock it?

You need to drop specs

Daps
Reppin
Do you have graphics card? Did you try to overclock it?

You need to drop specs

yes the graphics is not the problem (i think)

i got brand new parts less than 2 months old but past the 30 day return it's a Ryzen 2600 and Gigabyte X470 motherboard.. I remember seeing smoke coming out of mobo and a burnt component. And i shut it down right after I saw it. I waited a couple hours before running it again. It worked for about a day after that, then it crashed and no post ever since.

Breadbox it. Put it together piece by piece.

I did that too. I reseated the CPU, the ram and everything else, checked the cpu top to bottom. No bent pins or burn signs. However, a component of the motherboard is burnt, but it is very far away from the cpu. It's where the PWR switch and CMOS is. I don't know what the component is called. But anyways, I don't have another board to test if the CPU is fine or not.

The motherboard rbg, fans turn on when I press the power switch but the monitor just says no signal. GPU fan is on and running. The CPU light is on on the board.

i contacted Gigabyte for RMA and they want me to send it so they can run some diagnostics. What are the chances they see the burnt component and deny the RMA? Get this though. The guy said there have been A LOT OF ISSUES WITH THE BOARD AND PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE RED CPU LIGHT.

I had Asus motherboard running for 5 years with no issues whatsoever. And i bought that off some guy on craigslist. This gigabyte motherboard kicked the dust in just a month and a half. And it was only used for 3 weeks.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
yes the graphics is not the problem (i think)

i got brand new parts less than 2 months old but past the 30 day return it's a Ryzen 2600 and Gigabyte X470 motherboard.. I remember seeing smoke coming out of mobo and a burnt component. And i shut it down right after I saw it. I waited a couple hours before running it again. It worked for about a day after that, then it crashed and no post ever since.

I did that too. I reseated the CPU, the ram and everything else, checked the cpu top to bottom. No bent pins or burn signs. However, a component of the motherboard is burnt, but it is very far away from the cpu. It's where the PWR switch and CMOS is. I don't know what the component is called. But anyways, I don't have another board to test if the CPU is fine or not.

The motherboard rbg, fans turn on when I press the power switch but the monitor just says no signal. GPU fan is on and running. The CPU light is on on the board.

i contacted Gigabyte for RMA and they want me to send it so they can run some diagnostics. What are the chances they see the burnt component and deny the RMA? Get this though. The guy said there have been A LOT OF ISSUES WITH THE BOARD AND PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE RED CPU LIGHT.

I had Asus motherboard running for 5 years with no issues whatsoever. And i bought that off some guy on craigslist. This gigabyte motherboard kicked the dust in just a month and a half. And it was only used for 3 weeks.
That’s an important nugget of info to leave out. Smoke? Sounds like a Cable possibly got caught somewhere on the board.

What GPU?

Daps
Reppin
That’s an important nugget of info to leave out. Smoke? Sounds like a Cable possibly got caught somewhere on the board.

What GPU?

Running an GTX 1060. I purchased the GPU last year so i didn't feel the need to upgrade. But anyways, how important is this burnt component on the motherboard. It is barely visible, like you have to really inspect the board to notice it.

Motherboooooooooard!!!!! shyt, if you had said that in the opening post, we could've saved you some time. Asus boards will last you to the end of the earth. I don't even know how Gigabyte is still in business for ANY computer components.

second time buying a motherboard, and honestly i went for the mid-tier level shyt, and now i am regretting it. BTW what motherboard would you recommend cause I am thinking of replacing it and selling this POS gigabyte when it comes back from repairs. Budget is about $150.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Gigabyte has been making garbage ass motherboards since Z370 and X299, X399, AM4 motherboards.

I personally have returned 2 gigabyte X370 motherboards and 3 gigabyte X399 motherboards

If smoke was coming from your PC it most likely is your power supply. Did you buy a cheap rated power supply? Do not use adapter molex cables etc

Check for where the fire was and if it has effected any other parts once you do a RMA with gigabyte. Your RMA board should be fine don't waste your money buying another motherboard unless you cannot wait.

I recommend this you don't waste your money and keep the board when the time comes get a B450 board, you went overkill with your motherboard for a Ryzen 5 2600. Only reason to buy a X370 is pcie lanes (you aren't using 2 gpu's) or you are an extreme overclocker (reach highest frequency)

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Gigabyte has been making garbage ass motherboards since Z370 and X299, X399, AM4 motherboards.

I personally have returned 2 gigabyte X370 motherboards and 3 gigabyte X399 motherboards

If smoke was coming from your PC it most likely is your power supply. Did you buy a cheap rated power supply? Do not use adapter molex cables etc

Check for where the fire was and if it has effected any other parts once you do a RMA with gigabyte. Your RMA board should be fine don't waste your money buying another motherboard unless you cannot wait.

I bought EVGA 550W bronze rated power supply. And i did use an old PSU that I had that was in working condition to test and nothing.

And unfortunately I was using a molex cable as I bought RGB fans that need to be connected through the 4 pin molex pin connector.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
I bought EVGA 550W bronze rated power supply. And i did use an old PSU that I had that was in working condition to test and nothing.

And unfortunately I was using a molex cable as I bought RGB fans that need to be connected through the 4 pin molex pin connector.

Was it a molex adapter did it catch on fire itself?

Always use the molex cables, the power supply applies and stop buying cheap power-supplies which probably lacked enough cables.

Motherboooooooooard!!!!! shyt, if you had said that in the opening post, we could've saved you some time. Asus boards will last you to the end of the earth. I don't even know how Gigabyte is still in business for ANY computer components.

Gigabyte has made some of great motherboards in the past and graphic cards too.
Something changed in their way of assembling parts that's causing recent motherboards to have terrible reputation even the gpu too, I've had 3 rx vega cards (mining) from them burnt like in op condition.

Usually involving VRM today, that's where they are having the most issues, best to go asrock for cheap or asus for safest route today

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Was it a molex adapter did it catch on fire itself?

Always use the molex cables, the power supply applies and stop buying cheap power-supplies which probably lacked enough cables.

Gigabyte has made some of great motherboards in the past and graphic cards too.
Something changed in their way of assembling parts that's causing recent motherboards to have terrible reputation even the gpu too, I've had 3 rx vega cards (mining) from them burnt like in op condition.

Usually involving VRM today, that's where they are having the most issues, best to go asrock for cheap or asus for safest route today

I bought an Asus Mobo of a guy from Craigslist and it ran for 5 years before I sold it. That thing was a tank and did overclock like a beast. I miss it.

I need to buy a motherboard to test the CPU for damage so if need be I RMA it as well.

As for the molex cable, I used the one that came with the psu

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Next MOBO I get is a ASUS, most reliable boards I ever used, This Arock one i am using seems to have windows 10 conflicts from time to time.

Damn lost my boot loader after a crash on Command and Conquer last night.