Need some work related advice...

Daps
Reppin
VOID
I started a new job last month for the marketing services company in Manhattan. I literally bounced from one job to this job in the same week. I was working as an independent contractor for a ESCO (Energy Service Company). It involved going door to door and getting people to switch their suppliers to us. I was working 40+ hours a week and almost 12 hour days. I struggled at it, cause sales wasn't my thing, but I jumped at the opportunity cause I was trying to not be unemployed and have some money to get ahead of bills and have extra to fund my own outside ventures.

Last week I found out we would be getting paid every three weeks and the first paycheck would only be for the first week. I thought there was a base salary (16.67 per hour) but that's only for management and team leaders. It's comission only. And since I was struggling with my pitches and not making any progress (even though I made sales and closed them), it's probably going to be less than $100 dollars. With all of the work I did, the time I put into it, and everything, I don't even see a point in coming back.

But they're trying to make me a team leader...the promotion would mean money but frankly doing the job on a daily basis burns me out and I get sick and tired of the atmosphere at work. And why should I be a team leader if I can't even make any sales? It just looks bad on me if I'm showing people what to do but I can't produce results.

I don't know...I couldn't even step back into that office last week to finish up the week after that. I just want something with a steady salary and benefits. I'm sick of sales.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
VOID
Sales jobs are the worst bruh.

They really are. Those have been the only jobs I've been able to find for a while. Especially coming out of school. I just hate the idea of the pay being based solely on commission. I need some stability. I need a job where there's a set pay, a set task. I thought this job was going to be better simply because of the clients they worked with at the company, but I can't get excited about it.

What really did it for me is hearing people I would try to pitch tell me "you seem like you have an education and talent, you should be doing something better than this."

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Bounce...if your unhappy at it and not good at it, being a team leader isn't even going to make you marginally happier.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
What really did it for me is hearing people I would try to pitch tell me "you seem like you have an education and talent, you should be doing something better than this."

that's the universe speaking to you through the mouths of strangers.

get the fukk out of that job and find something that does not eat your soul.

Bsmitty156

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
DO OR DIE
They really are. Those have been the only jobs I've been able to find for a while. Especially coming out of school. I just hate the idea of the pay being based solely on commission. I need some stability. I need a job where there's a set pay, a set task. I thought this job was going to be better simply because of the clients they worked with at the company, but I can't get excited about it.

Set pay, set tasks= the rat race

I'm not suggesting stay in sales but if you get bored easily or need something mentally stimulating don't think some desk job will automatically provide it. You don't want to be those people who do the same thing for 20 years 9-5 and don't like it but are too scared of the unknown and unpromised.

If you're here in NYC try real estate. Sales but a lot of interacting face to face, networking, viewing architecture/design (if that's your thing).

Or at least search for something engaging after college even if the pays not right so you can figure out your likes. You're too young to settle.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
Set pay, set tasks= the rat race

I'm not suggesting stay in sales but if you get bored easily or need something mentally stimulating don't think some desk job will automatically provide it. You don't want to be those people who do the same thing for 20 years 9-5 and don't like it but are too scared of the unknown and unpromised.

If you're here in NYC try real estate. Sales but a lot of interacting face to face, networking, viewing architecture/design (if that's your thing).

Or at least search for something engaging after college even if the pays not right so you can figure out your likes. You're too young to settle.

At this point, as long as the money is consistent, I don't really care. I just need my main hustle/job to provide money for rent and bills so I can supplement my income with other ventures. I have a clothing line I introduced on spreadshirt, a skateboard line I launched with boardpusher, and I make music and DJ (I actually have a show in Williamsburg on the 13th of Sept that I haven't even had the time to promote due to this job)...all of that I promote through my blog which has almost 3,000 followers.

I would like to get into real estate but I don't even know where to start.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
If you're not working on your own dreams...you're helping someone else on theirs...

If you're not happy and you have the potential then :camby:

I'm personally sick and tired of making other people rich. I'm trying to make MYSELF rich and help my friends and family out.

I didn't move to New York to just be yet another drone supplying the queen bee with honey while bleeding myself dry.

I'm already penning my letter of leave.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
I just walked into the office on 44th an 6th. I thought my paycheck would be ready today cause I had some important stuff to pay off...won't be getting it until FRIDAY...WTF?!

I knew I had the right idea by leaving. If I would of worked this week, I would of gone four fukkin weeks without a paycheck!!! I can't do that shyt!

Two weeks between paychecks works for me maximum...anything else and that's pushing it...I got thangs and stuff to take care of.

LordFendiMane

Banned
Daps
I started a new job last month for the marketing services company in Manhattan. I literally bounced from one job to this job in the same week. I was working as an independent contractor for a ESCO (Energy Service Company). It involved going door to door and getting people to switch their suppliers to us. I was working 40+ hours a week and almost 12 hour days. I struggled at it, cause sales wasn't my thing, but I jumped at the opportunity cause I was trying to not be unemployed and have some money to get ahead of bills and have extra to fund my own outside ventures.

Last week I found out we would be getting paid every three weeks and the first paycheck would only be for the first week. I thought there was a base salary (16.67 per hour) but that's only for management and team leaders. It's comission only. And since I was struggling with my pitches and not making any progress (even though I made sales and closed them), it's probably going to be less than $100 dollars. With all of the work I did, the time I put into it, and everything, I don't even see a point in coming back.

But they're trying to make me a team leader...the promotion would mean money but frankly doing the job on a daily basis burns me out and I get sick and tired of the atmosphere at work. And why should I be a team leader if I can't even make any sales? It just looks bad on me if I'm showing people what to do but I can't produce results.

I don't know...I couldn't even step back into that office last week to finish up the week after that. I just want something with a steady salary and benefits. I'm sick of sales.
How does that work?

Daps
Reppin
VOID
How does that work?

The company has a weird (but very easy and obtainable) way of promoting people. Basically it involves having 20-30 sales a week, learning key skills, teaching them to people, and having other team leaders sign them off. I was struggling to make 5 a week. It's based on direct sales (door to door, on the street, etc).

I guess they put me on because I had a degree and previous management experience. Or they were trying to keep me in the company for reasons I can't even think of. I like showing people how to do stuff that I can actually DO! I was struggling making sales.

There were so many factors. The fact that I was new at the job and still learning the ropes was probably the most prevalent.

I was talking to one of my co-workers (cool chick from Bed-stuy) and I just pointed out the high turnover rate for the job and how many people I saw in my time there that were in and out. They were talking about expanding (they have offices in 13 different countries) and they hired me to be a manager for a new division.

The work ain't even worth staying for. I hate working for people and they'rejust trying to sell people a magic bag of beans rather than provide and pay their employees for consistent work.