Need help figuring out what to do at the gym and at home.

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I started seeing a nutritionist almost a month ago. I have a planned menu where I eat 3 meals a day + 2 snacks. My nutritionist set my calorie limit at 1700, which I think I've been meeting (not entirely sure bc I have gotten lazy with My Fitness Pal). The problem is that I bought a Gym membership almost 3 months ago, and I have only been once. Basically graduate school and work were kicking my ass, and I just couldn't get out there on my days off (I work nights btw, so I don't go when I get off work bc I'm tired). So anyways, my first visit was last weekend, and my days off this week are WED, THURS, FRI and SAT, so I plan on going 3 times a week. The problem is is I don't know what to do. I usually run for 20 to 25 minutes, and then I do the arm and chest machines. Truth is, I've never weight lifted, so I don't really know how to use other machines (squats/deadlifts/etc). I also don't know what I should be doing with free weights.

I was 5'9/200 pounds when I started seeing the nutritionist (started up because I had never been 200 pounds in my life), and now I'm 193. My goal is to get to 160 and to lose my horrendous gut. I've been down to 160 before, but I still had a pop belly (:wtf:)--this time I want to do it right and lose the small titties and pop belly. What should I be doing in the gym? How many reps should I be doing on the machines?

I'd like to also know what I can do at home when I have like an hour or 2 before I go to bed in the morning?

Please don't use abbreviations and gym language when replying to this post because I won't understand what's being said.

I'd appreciate links too so I can print this shyt out and take it to the gym with me.

Thanks! Reps + Daps included!

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
If you get serious about training realize that 1700 cals is going to be an issue down the road

Good luck and keep us updated.

Bledswole

Slappin and clowning chumps for fun.
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Just not enough fuel to keep you going and to actually build muscle.

But if I were you at home I start doing pullups,pushups and situps

At the gym, look up some workouts and follow them to a tee

Raise them calories to 2500 at least breh, 1700 aint shyt after being up all day and working out, you gonna burn right thru those......get a good amount of protein as well

Hybrinetics

Banned
Daps
3 sets of each, as many as you can do, pullups, pushups and situps 3 days a week for a month, to ready your muscles before any weight training. You could do em monday, wednesday, friday. Sprints on tuesday, thursday, saturday; rest sunday. Sprints are one of the most effective forms of cardio and only take 10-15 minutes to do

Jeepz

Lay off the salt
Daps
First and foremost, ignore the scale, take measurements of your gut (yes, with a tape measure), since this is your main concern.
Measure weekly.

The scale is deceiving and sometimes you lose fat, but gain muscle and eat food -- which makes you feel that you're not progressing. With measuring, you KNOW if you're progressing or not.

You seem like you're on a good path. How long did it take to go from 200 to 193?

There's only 3 things you have to do to get down to 12-15% body fat:
1 - Workout 3 times a week with weights.
2 - Eat 1g protein / pound of lean body mass (total weight minus body fat). Chances are that's 150-160g.
3 - Reduce calories.

You seem to have #3 down for now. The homeboy ADD is right about hitting a wall with low calories, but don't worry about that for now. Come back when your weight loss has stalled.

On gym days... Ideally, go to the gym and get a trainer that can help you with proper form in the following exercises:
- Bench press
- Squats
- Dead lifts
- Military Press
- Bent over rows

These are called compound exercises and are proven to significantly add more muscle and burn more fat, because they work larger groups of muscles.
Pick 2 or 3 per day, do them, and GTFO of the gym. You don't need to spend more than 40 minutes in the gym.

Form is key, and make sure you get a trainer or a gym buddy that knows what they're doing. Once you have form down, lift heavy, and keep lifting heavier.
You will get jacked, and you will lose your gut.

Really, that's all you need for now, but if you like to do cardio, throw it in a few times per week, but it is not necessary right now.

On days that you can't workout at the gym... do what the homie Hybrinetics said above and work on push ups/pull ups/sit ups. There's 20 minute circuits to follow on YouTube.
I'm going to get flamed for this, but download "The Challenge" video from P90X3, it's a great starting point, and a great circuit. If you can't do push ups, use your knees. If you can't do a pull up, use a chair.
Do not underestimate bodyweight exercises. I promise, even if you DIDN'T do compound exercises, and just did enough pull ups, sit ups, and push ups, you could get extremely toned.

Don't complicate things.

Last edited:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Sounds like u have a weak core. U should think about things like planks and weighted AB exercises. Try and avoid movements that call on hip flexors too much (sit ups and leg raises are the worst) and focus on movements that isolate and load the abs

Sounds like you are skinny fat as well and have an unfortunate fat distribution. 150-160 with consistent ab training are probably what you will need to get your waist down to where you want it to be.

Lifting weights can be good and fun if you enjoy it but if you just want a flat stomach, beyond bracing your core it's not necessary.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Sounds like u have a weak core. U should think about things like planks and weighted AB exercises. Try and avoid movements that call on hip flexors too much (sit ups and leg raises are the worst) and focus on movements that isolate and load the abs

Sounds like you are skinny fat as well and have an unfortunate fat distribution. 150-160 with consistent ab training are probably what you will need to get your waist down to where you want it to be.

Lifting weights can be good and fun if you enjoy it but if you just want a flat stomach, beyond bracing your core it's not necessary.
:sadcam:

nomoreneveragain

Superstar
Daps
10 Days of Pushups every other day + Cardio

After that start going back to the Gym

Eat like a Monster, Train like a Psycho ... Use Light Weights and gradually increase the weights. Bench 105, Squat 80 and work yourself up.

You need energy, once you start working out ... you'll notice that your appetite grows

Don't ever look at the Scale, scales lie.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps

Can you list these exercises breh? :ohhh: I got a similar problem as OP.

Hybrinetics

Banned
Daps
Weighted crunches. Once your lower/mid back come off the ground you're using hip flexors. Bottom pic is full contraction

23.jpg