NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
This is a very good point.

I wonder how much of that stuff on Food Network, TBS, Discovery is on other streaming services, though. I wonder how many of those services Comcast has some stake in.

Take TBS, which I think still does Seinfeld reruns. WBD pulls TBS from Comcast networks, in theory. Comcast would just drive its subscribers to adopting the Peacock/Apple+/Netflix package for an extra fifteen bucks a month on their Comcast bill and tell folks that they can just catch Seinfeld that way, on demand.

I'm not possibly going to be able to list out every show, both original or syndicated, that WBD networks show throughout the day, but I wonder if Comcast has made the calculation that WBD's networks have watered themselves down by sharing a lot of rights to the shows that make them popular with streaming networks, and Comcast can just point viewers who tuned in for 90-Day Fiance or Pawn Stars to whatever streaming service that they've got a stake in that also has those shows available.

And I think Comcast is clearly willing to bleed money now to put themselves in a superior position later. Peacock is the obvious example - it's way too cheap in subscription price to have all the sports it already does, but Comcast is willing to eat those losses now so that they become an essential streamer to sports fans, then recoup that later through higher subscription fees. I think it's plausible that they'd also be willing to let WBD stations go dark on their cable service now to bleed out WBD to the point that it's begging for any carriage fee for TNT to get back on the air...or to bleed it enough that they can just acquire the parts of WBD that they want outright themselves.

The folks running Comcast NBC are diabolical. I don't think it should be legal to own both a cable company/ISP and a TV network/streamer. They have few or no viable cable/ISP competitors in the parts of America that they're in, so they leverage the sure profit from customers who have to have at least an ISP to work, etc., to loss-lead in TV and streaming, driving out competitors who can't afford to lose as much money as they can and driving down asset value so they can acquire them or pay them less. It's good strategy based on how things work, but there should be laws against a conglomerate being in both those businesses at the same time. That and internet service should be declared a public good and there should be a non-profit option run by local or state governments. But that's beyond the scope of this thread.

I said this a while back that Comcast/NBC was always going to be in a good position because of their broadband service. If people aren't buying Peacock or watching cable anymore? Fine... let's jack up the prices to broadband... which in turn screws over streamers as well...

I'm not sure how it's "legal" exactly lol but the government doesn't seem to care about it.

As for all of the calculations, I'm sure WBD lawyers and Comcast lawyers/financial are all looking at the upcoming "war" and seeing what they are willing to deal with and what they can't deal with...

The article posted above doesn't do the entire situation justice. They are basically saying that WBD has "no leverage" left and I'm not so sure about that. We will see shortly...

When Zaslav (wrongly) made the comment that WBD doesn't "need" the NBA.. I'm sure this was all on his mind. Their main goal is slashing debt and then attempting another merger. There was a while where it looked like WBD could merge with Paramount but that's not happening now. Skydance is taking over Paramount.

In the end, I could see NBC Universal attempting to buy WBD as well but I don't think the government goes for that. Apple might be a better play with less red tape.

All of the cable networks will eventually die off... but someone needs to purchase Warner Bros. Pictures, HBO and all of the IP they own like DC characters (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc.) and Harry Potter and whatever else they own..

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

The NBA broadcasting ecosystem was the same for nearly two decades until this year when the league agreed to ground-shifting deals with NBCUniversal and Amazon Prime Video that will see basketball consumption evolve massively over the next 11 years.

With its history of great NBA broadcasts, significant reach on a broadcast network, and a storied sports brand, the direction NBC goes with its talent will dictate much of how the league looks and feels to its fans.

A successful broadcast of the Paris Olympics this summer led on the basketball side by announcers Noah Eagle and Mike Tirico, plus analysts Dwyane Wade and LaChina Robinson, illustrates just how much talent NBC has at its disposal. But where will the network look, and how will it approach its booth and studio hiring?

Building a broadcast team mostly from scratch allows the NBA on NBC to mix new and old, both in perspective and format. They can think not just about how to make a splash now, but build a top basketball brand for the next decade-plus.

Here’s our heavily researched, taste-informed guess on what it looks like.

“A” Broadcast Booth​

A combination of reporting and common sense tells us that Tirico will be NBC’s top NBA announcer when the 2025-26 season tips off. Tirico called tons of NBA for ESPN until he left the worldwide leader in 2016, and has a great feel for the big moments in a basketball game. As the face of NBC Sports and the vet of the network, he will get the call.

That leaves the game analyst chair open.

Wade was exciting but a little raw in Paris, probably not ready for a top job at a network that will broadcast the conference finals in less than two years.

Puck’s Dylan Byers reported that NBC is expected to pursue Grant Hill and Draymond Green from TNT. But it’s not a lock that either would be available as soon as next season. Hill remains a fixture of TNT Sports’ March Madness coverage and may not be allowed to leave. Green is under contract with the Golden State Warriors for three more seasons.

With TNT losing the NBA, why not throw a big salary at its top analyst Reggie Miller, who is still just 58? NBC execs would sleep a lot easier if they could book Miller as the face of their NBA coverage for the entirety of the deal.

As for sideline reporters, Byers reported NBC wants Allie LaForce from TNT. But Zora Stephenson, who just had a great Olympics, will factor in as well.

“B” Broadcast Booth​

This is Eagle’s booth. Since finally landing at NBC and getting shots to call a range of sports, Eagle has shown NBC why it would be silly to hold him back. In Paris, he showed that he can pass time and entertain with a partner when necessary while snapping to attention when the stakes are highest. Eagle not only brings big calls for big moments, but he also brings the viewer along by always knowing the time, score, and patter of basketball after starting as an NBA radio announcer.

Wade would be a great analyst choice here. In an interview with NBC News (coincidence?) during the Olympics, Wade left the door open to a full-time analyst gig in the future.

Aside from the three-time NBA champ, an up-and-comer like Jamal Crawford or a local standout like Brian Scalabrine would work. Monica McNutt, Antonio Daniels, or Sarah Kustok could shine on a bigger stage as well.

As for sideline reporter, if LaForce jumps to the NBA on NBC after all, give Stephenson this gig.

NBA on NBC Studio​

This is where things get interesting. The entire format of studio shows can vary from network to network and sport to sport. At NBC, its signature Football Night In America broadcast on Sunday nights lasts hours and includes everything from Matthew Berry giving fantasy updates to Steve Kornacki breaking down playoff odds.

Perhaps they will model their NBA studio show after FNIA. But on an average weekday during the regular season, they need something recognizable and easy. At TNT, that meant long segments with strong personalities and the best chemistry in all of television with Inside the NBA. At ESPN, studio shows are a vehicle for commercials.
Assuming the elusive Charles Barkley truly sticks at TNT as he says he will, the top free agent is off the board. But if NBC wants to invest in a truly great studio show, it can.

Byers reported NBC may not want to retain Maria Taylor long-term, but after another successful Olympics and the addition of a sport that she covered for years at ESPN, it would be strange to move on from her.

If we assume Taylor hosts pregame, halftime, and postgame, who will NBC surround her with? If I’m running NBC Sports, my first call is Shaquille O’Neal. He is among the most famous people ever to play basketball and grew into a legit running mate for Barkley on Inside over the years. In interviews and on his podcast, O’Neal has more than proven he can be entertaining and provocative without Barkley by his side.

Still, we can all agree Inside occasionally leans too far toward the silly and the critical, with O’Neal perhaps being the biggest culprit. Enter Candace Parker. O’Neal’s teammate on TNT Tuesday nights clearly has his respect and can balance the goofy and the smart. Given that NBC also bought WNBA rights, she can be a Swiss Army knife for the network covering both leagues in retirement.

From there, NBC could go in a variety of directions. They could bring along an insider like Shams Charania or poach a Brian Windhorst type to serve the function Adam Schefter does on Monday Night Countdown. They could bring in an older voice like Stan Van Gundy. Even a popular retread like David Aldridge or J.A. Adande could be a fun balance.

For now, let’s go with Windhorst in the final seat. It feels impossible to imagine ESPN’s NBA coverage without the incredibly hardworking and versatile Windhorst, but that’s exactly what would make him so valuable to the NBA on NBC. Windhorst could be a staple on the studio show while also contributing to digital properties. Make him the NBA Peter King and don’t overthink it.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps

Max? That comment wasnt about no damn max. Most ppl probably didnt even know it was on Max.
Either this guy doesnt know what he talking about or he just wanted some clickbait shyt to tie into his article. Am I missing somethin in that zaslav quote was about Max specifically?

Edit: I see he tries to clean it up with the 2nd tweet, still seems like a reach.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Max? That comment wasnt about no damn max. Most ppl probably didnt even know it was on Max.
Either this guy doesnt know what he talking about or he just wanted some clickbait shyt to tie into his article. Am I missing somethin in that zaslav quote was about Max specifically?

Edit: I see he tries to clean it up with the 2nd tweet, still seems like a reach.

I don't think Zaslav's quote was about Max... I think it was about WBD as a whole and I think it was coming from the idea of slashing spending and eliminating debt. I don't think it's a "smart" move but we'll find out over the next few months whether or not WBD will be able to maintain their carriage fee numbers. If they can, it puts them in better position than shareholders were thinking.

Daps
Reppin
Eagle, Colorado
I don't think Zaslav's quote was about Max... I think it was about WBD as a whole and I think it was coming from the idea of slashing spending and eliminating debt. I don't think it's a "smart" move but we'll find out over the next few months whether or not WBD will be able to maintain their carriage fee numbers. If they can, it puts them in better position than shareholders were thinking.
It was a completely unforced error borne of extreme hubris. He could have slashed spending and eliminated debt without puffing his chest out about the NBA.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley

The NBA, in its initial response to Warner Bros. Discovery’s matching rights lawsuit, has asked the N.Y. Supreme Court to permanently seal the bids from Amazon and NBCUniversal, claiming their public release “would cause substantial competitive harm’’ to the league and each company.

In an Aug. 12 filing, the NBA wrote “public disclosure of these and other terms’’ would give Amazon’s, NBCU’s and the league’s “respective counterparties, rivals and other partners (e.g., sponsors and advertisers) an informational advantage in future negotiations concerning media rights (and advertising) that they could leverage to attempt to extract concessions from the NBA, Amazon and NBCU (or otherwise to their detriment).’’

Sources have said that Amazon and NBCU put language in their bids to prevent WBD from matching the offers. In Amazon’s case, sources believe there may have been advertising clauses such as NBA commercials or promos during Thursday night NFL broadcasts — which would have been impossible for WBD to match considering it does not own NFL rights. Other sources said it’s conceivable Amazon’s bid also included NBA promotions on its retail packaging, again something WBD would not be able to replicate.

As part of the court filing, the NBA predictably pointed out that WBD attempted to match Amazon’s annual $1.93B streaming-only bid with “distribution methods other than the Internet (e.g., cable and satellite),’’ which is consistent with what sources have said — that the NBA believes WBD cannot match Amazon’s streaming offer by claiming it will simulcast games on both Max and its linear property TNT.

The league’s filing also pointed out to the court that WBD, at the same time, did not attempt to match NBCU’s $2.5B annual offer, a hybrid Peacock-NBC bid that TNT could have seemingly replicated through Max and TNT — although sources said the league believes that TNT could never have matched it since it does not put games on an over-the-air channel like NBC. Sources have said the reason WBD did not match NBC’s bid is because it believes the $2.5B offer was an overpay.

An earlier court schedule briefing from July noted that the NBA has until this Friday to respond to WBD’s lawsuit, and it is expected the league will file a motion to dismiss the case. But since the Amazon and NBCU offers were attached to the complaint, the league likely wanted those bids to be sealed first before moving forward.