Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
That is a YTer listener comment.
1 Govt. should always correct a wrong
2 Their descendants can now apply to receive the proper benefits that the honorable discharge would have made the veterans eligible for. As written in the last sentence of the article.
I'm in the military, that really doesn't amount to shyt unless they seek further litigation. They won't get those folks va benefits without more time in court because benefits back then didn't work the same as now.

This is largely symbolic for the folks that died and their surviving family

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I'm in the military, that really doesn't amount to shyt unless they seek further litigation. They won't get those folks va benefits without more time in court because benefits back then didn't work the same as now.

This is largely symbolic for the folks that died and their surviving family

There have been at least 3 different stories here about military correcting the record for Black veterans.

The most recent update was this one.

Each one has pointed to a process where widows and children would apply for rightful benefits.
Going to assume that ultimately the compensation is retroactive and adjusted, and that the corrective action gives the surviving family the green light to start the process.

Whatever compensation/benefits they do receive, I don't think it's symbolic if the family can receive what their spouse/father earned through his service.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
There have been at least 3 different stories here about military correcting the record for Black veterans.

The most recent update was this one.

Each one has pointed to a process where widows and children would apply for rightful benefits.
Going to assume that ultimately the compensation is retroactive and adjusted, and that the corrective action gives the surviving family the green light to start the process.

Whatever compensation/benefits they do receive, I don't think it's symbolic if the family can receive what their spouse/father earned through his service.
Show me where they actually received substantial compensation/benefits and I'll stand down

Soldier

not redeemed with gold but with His Blood
Daps
Related to the World War 2 era Port Chicago disaster :

« Rankin proposed a bill to prohibit interracial marriage and opposed a bill to prohibit state use of the poll tax, which southern states had used since the turn of the century to disenfranchise most blacks and many poor whites. He used his power to support segregation and deny federal benefits programs to African Americans. For instance, in 1944, following the Port Chicago disaster, the U.S. Navy asked Congress to authorize payments of $5,000 to each of the victims' families. But when Rankin learned most of the dead were black sailors, he insisted the amount be reduced to $2,000; Congress settled the amount at $3,000 per family.[1]

He was the main House sponsor of the G.I. Bill. Rankin insisted that its administration be decentralized, which led to continued discrimination against black veterans in the South and their virtual exclusion from one of the most important postwar programs to build social capital among United States residents. In the South, black veterans were excluded from loans, training and employment assistance.[2] The historically black colleges were underfunded and could accept only about half the men who wanted to enroll.[2]

On the floor of the House, Rankin expressed racist views of African Americans,[3]Japanese Americans,[4] and Jews,[5]accusing Albert Einstein of being a communist agitator.[6] During World War II, Rankin supported a bill that would incarcerate all Japanese Americans in the US and its territories in what he called "concentration camps".[7] He later helped to establish the House Un-American Activities Committee which questioned the Hollywood Ten screenwriters during the McCarthy Era.[8] He described an anti-lynching bill as "a bill to encourage Negroes to think they can rape our white women!" while shaking his fist at a gallery of mostly colored persons.[9]

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Show me where they actually received substantial compensation/benefits and I'll stand down
In the near future, I hope that I can provide such an update for a related case
Monk v. United States

If it's resolved in favor of the plaintiff, should make the process of the families in OP, and other cases easier to be resolved also.

Will tag you then.