Nas to develop Theater Rendition Of The Classic Film “Beat Street”.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Rapper Nas to Help Develop Musical Adaptation of ‘Beat Street’ for Broadway
Nas will be a producer and expand and create new material from the film’s soundtrack for the musical.

BY CAITLIN HUSTON
Plus Icon
JUNE 14, 2024 7:15PM
Share on Facebook
Share on X
Share to Flipboard
Send an Email
Show additional share options
Nas
Nas DANNY CLINCH
Rapper Nas is working on a musical stage adaptation of the classic hip-hop film Beat Street.

Nas will work to expand and create new material from the film’s soundtrack for the musical, and serve as a producer on the production, alongside Arthur Baker, who was a co-producer, composer and music producer of the original film, Michael Holman, associate producer of the original film and Richard Fearn.

The musical is aiming for Broadway. Additional creative team members will be announced in the coming weeks.

Related Stories
Tony Mordente and daughter Lisa Mordente in 2005
MOVIES
Tony Mordente, Original 'West Side Story' Actor on Stage and Screen, Dies at 88
Nas announced the news Friday after a 40th anniversary screening of Beat Street at the Tribeca Film Festival. This is his first foray into theater, after a career of releasing multiplatinum albums, garnering 16 Grammy nominations, as well as producing and directing film and television projects, including Showtime’s The Supreme Team.

“Beat Street wasn’t just a film – it spread the revolution of hip-hop culture throughout the country and the world. It left an indelible mark, inspiring generations of young artists and creating new hip-hop fans alike,” Nas said. “It’s a thrill for me to join the creative team of Beat Street, bringing the raw energy of hip-hop into the fabric of Broadway. It’s an honor to breathe new life into this iconic work and celebrate its enduring legacy.”

Released in 1984, Beat Street follows a graffiti artist, a DJ, and a break-dancer in the South Bronx as they strive to make it in the new hip-hop scene. The film stars Rae Dawn Chong, Gus Davis, and Jon Chardiet and features music by Harry Belafonte and Baker, with appearances by some of the major artists of the era, including Doug E. Fresh, DJ Kool Herc and Afrika Bambataa & The Sonic Force. The screenplay is by Andrew Davis, David Gilbert & Paul Golding.

Nathan Gehan and Jamison Scott of ShowTown Productions are executive producers of the musical adaptation.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
May someone explain to me why people went aor shyt about this play.

Or was this simply cacs introduction into hip-hop with this play?

I never quite understood the hype for it myself and i lean towards the latter of what you said BUT i’ll also say Lin Manuel is incredibly talented as a song writer and producer so with him and Nas together something like Beat Street For Broadway would at least be authentic.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
May someone explain to me why people went aor shyt about this play.

Or was this simply cacs introduction into hip-hop with this play?
Basically cacs getting Hip Hop in a more so called dignified and intellectual space. I found it fairly boring myself. I saw it on Disney + and could barely stay awake.