Nas Talks About Kendrick Lamar & The Challenges of Following Up A Classic Debut Album

cformusic

King Chobani
Daps
Reppin
BKNY
jesus christ..y'all argue like bytches..whether you like it or not kendrick has a lot to live up to with this follow-up because most people see GKMC as his debut no matter what you personally think

tehparadox

All Star
Daps
Nas should be honored that they thought of it was written as a good example for a great 2nd album.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I know this about Kendrick but we gon pretend Nas aint say "Jay was coming" even though people swear Jay was a bum and not on his radar:sas2:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
overall the response to IWW was pretty ehh from many compared to Illmatic. It sold 2-3 times as much but still. But over the years reactions have changed.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nas is my GOAT, and Kendrick's great:obama:

...but, I hate their comparison, cuz I don't hear or see it:yeshrug:

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
overall the response to IWW was pretty ehh from many compared to Illmatic. It sold 2-3 times as much but still. But over the years reactions have changed.

And thats the other thing Kendrick should consider, people are going to have their reactions in the moment but be confident in your material that you feel it may also stand the test of time. It Was Written, much like Wu-Tang Forever was anitcipated then felt like a disappointment only to then retrospectivley be felt like a great record down the line.

Granted music is more disposable than ever in the digital/everything is free and consumed age but if it the talent is there, the dope artist rise above

• Dap
Reactions: ISO

Nuuko

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas is my GOAT, and Kendrick's great:obama:

...but, I hate their comparison, cuz I don't hear or see it:yeshrug:

they are very very different... people compare gkmc to illmatic because they represent the benchmark for THEIR generation
like the article says, every new album is getting compared to gkmc (by critics or fans or artists) just like albums were compared to illmatic in the 90s. (illmatic is a bigger classic though)

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Honestly I think it's nigh impossible for Kendrick to win with this next album. The minute a single comes out, the criticism will begin. "This isn't as good as x song from GKMC" or "this doesn't sound like a hit" will be the beginning.

The next step will be when the album comes out/leaks, when people skip through the album in 10-30 minutes and automatically declare it's not as good as GKMC. I guarantee you twitter and the Coli will be full of that shyt. After that the other criticisms will revolve around complaints it's not "cohesive" like GKMC (even if Kendrick makes it clear this album won't be a concept album), or complaints about whatever poppy single he does (as if Poetic Justice never existed), etc. And the final nail will be sales: if the album doesn't go plat, people will want to declare it a failure. I really think Kendrick is being set up to fail, and corny ass nikkas like Elliot Wilson can't wait to say "it's ok but not nearly as good as GKMC. It looks like Drake won the sophomore battle, since Take Care was better!"

Speaking of Drake, I also really wonder whether Drake plans on releasing his next album on the same day as Kendrick's. Seems like the ultimate boss move, as he'd no doubt outsell Kendrick. Drake has been releasing a lot of music lately, I don't think he's going to wait for 2015.