Name movies you think are perfect. like not another thing you could have done..

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Brussels

The film in my avatar

The Battle of Algiers

I guess these are all what I'd consider films where the flaws in no way distract. There are plenty of amazing films with minor flaws that I don't hold against it. But the 3 above, any flaws, I haven't seen them.

Edit: I'll add 23rd Psalm Branch to my list

You gotta breakdown what makes au hasard balthazar such a great movie

Not disagreeing :hubie:

But I wanna know why you personally think

Also Battle of Algiers is :ohlawd:

Cal Cutta

Balthazar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You gotta breakdown what makes au hasard balthazar such a great movie

Not disagreeing :hubie:

But I wanna know why you personally think

Also Battle of Algiers is :ohlawd:

I’ll try! I’ll put all this in spoiler tags in case someone wants to see the film fresh.

Firstly, I believe totally in Bresson’s philosophies on filmmaking (or, to use his own term, “cinematography”, whuch is not meant in the same way as what everyone else describes as a “cinematographer”). The idea of removing any sort of theatrically-based emoting from the cast in favor of juxtaposition through various things (location, items in frame, sounds, etc.).

Bresson goes for likely his most extreme example of this philosophy by casting an untrained donkey as the star of his film. But then to make that donkey an allegory for Christ. It’s a bold move which imo pays off.

From the opening title, Bresson makes a brilliant choice to offset the Schubert with the braying of a donkey. To offset what has been used as a shorthand for human divinity. By the creature which Bresson ultimately shows as devine.

To frame the film through near-episodic moments in the life of both Balthazar, and the character of Marie. From youthful innocence and naivity. To having your life be changed and influenced by circumstance and people around you, people you were taught to trust. It’s not the nicest vision of the world but I find it honest.

In Bresson’s own words, “Balthazar submits.” While that statement stands on its own, the true context is in relation to the film “Mouchette” and its protagonist. It may be a bit of a cheat to find the brilliance of Au Hasard Balthazar in comparison to Mouchette (which is also a brilliant film), but I do. The implications of the power of the natural world, the connections to the spiritual world, and humanity’s utter failure to recognize and respect this. It’s a devastating but powerful message. To quote Godard‘s thoughts on this film, ”It’s the world in 90 minutes.”

Lastly, I’ll talk about the technical brilliance of the film. As I mentioned above, the episodic nature works in the film’s favor. Bresson‘s fluidity with how he’d alternate the focus between Balthazar, Marie (and sometimes even Gerard or the drunk), without exposition or a throughline. It’s feels realistic and not beholden to a standard plot/film outline. Bresson’s choice to only use a 50mm lense helps as well. It keeps a unified feel to the film which helps.

Some of my off-the-cuff thoughts on it. It’s an emotionally heavy film which won‘t leave the viewer feeling warm or optimistic, but imo its brilliant nonetheless.

edit: Just saw my post is from 2020. And Sight and Sound just listed Jeanne Dielman as the all-time best film from their director’s/critic’s list. Nice.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’ll try! I’ll put all this in spoiler tags in case someone wants to see the film fresh.

Firstly, I believe totally in Bresson’s philosophies on filmmaking (or, to use his own term, “cinematography”, whuch is not meant in the same way as what everyone else describes as a “cinematographer”). The idea of removing any sort of theatrically-based emoting from the cast in favor of juxtaposition through various things (location, items in frame, sounds, etc.).

Bresson goes for likely his most extreme example of this philosophy by casting an untrained donkey as the star of his film. But then to make that donkey an allegory for Christ. It’s a bold move which imo pays off.

From the opening title, Bresson makes a brilliant choice to offset the Schubert with the braying of a donkey. To offset what has been used as a shorthand for human divinity. By the creature which Bresson ultimately shows as devine.

To frame the film through near-episodic moments in the life of both Balthazar, and the character of Marie. From youthful innocence and naivity. To having your life be changed and influenced by circumstance and people around you, people you were taught to trust. It’s not the nicest vision of the world but I find it honest.

In Bresson’s own words, “Balthazar submits.” While that statement stands on its own, the true context is in relation to the film “Mouchette” and its protagonist. It may be a bit of a cheat to find the brilliance of Au Hasard Balthazar in comparison to Mouchette (which is also a brilliant film), but I do. The implications of the power of the natural world, the connections to the spiritual world, and humanity’s utter failure to recognize and respect this. It’s a devastating but powerful message. To quote Godard‘s thoughts on this film, ”It’s the world in 90 minutes.”

Lastly, I’ll talk about the technical brilliance of the film. As I mentioned above, the episodic nature works in the film’s favor. Bresson‘s fluidity with how he’d alternate the focus between Balthazar, Marie (and sometimes even Gerard or the drunk), without exposition or a throughline. It’s feels realistic and not beholden to a standard plot/film outline. Bresson’s choice to only use a 50mm lense helps as well. It keeps a unified feel to the film which helps.

Some of my off-the-cuff thoughts on it. It’s an emotionally heavy film which won‘t leave the viewer feeling warm or optimistic, but imo its brilliant nonetheless.

edit: Just saw my post is from 2020. And Sight and Sound just listed Jeanne Dielman as the all-time best film from their director’s/critic’s list. Nice.

Can you say more about why bressons philosophy of filmmaking is so great. Why is it better than the more conventional and mainstream way of filmmaking or cinematography.

I get it, it looks good. But if I didn’t know his “philosophy” I wouldn’t assume he’s doing anything specifically special, different or groundbreaking..... outside of maybe not using a film score or soundtrack

But I think other directors have used similar tactics.

Is it because he’s just more of a “purist”?

Cal Cutta

Balthazar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can you say more about why bressons philosophy of filmmaking is so great. Why is it better than the more conventional and mainstream way of filmmaking or cinematography.

I get it, it looks good. But if I didn’t know his “philosophy” I wouldn’t assume he’s doing anything specifically special, different or groundbreaking..... outside of maybe not using a film score or soundtrack

But I think other directors have used similar tactics.

Is it because he’s just more of a “purist”?

Bresson disliked the idea of actors as he found acting in itself to be purely a product of stage theater. He considered film to be a totally unrelated artform. As a result, he saw acting in film as nothing more than putting a type of stage theater in a frame. He was so extreme in this belief that he didn’t even call people in his films ”actors”, but rather “models”. People in his films purposely give a flat, disaffected performance. That’s the part of Bresson which turns a lot of people off btw, so if that doesn’t sound appealing, Bresson may not work for you.

As mentioned before, he was big on juxtoposition and interrelation of items/people/places/sounds to get ideas across. He was a painter before a filmmaker and it shows.

All his films have the protagonist ultimately find a form of grace at the end of each film. What that grace may be however is quite different (prison, escaping prison, death, suicide, murder, betrayal).

His book “Notes on the Cinematographer” is a short and cool read. It’s just single-line platitudes.

Cloutius Maximus

with the aid of the Funk...
Daps
Reppin
Altadena, California
Evil Dead II

Doesn't wear out it's welcome, perfect blend of comedy and horror elements, fun as hell with every watch

might get crucified for this but i'll add School of Rock (2003) and The Sandlot

Last edited: