Name a recent player (post-1980) whose accomplishments are forgotten

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Random thought I was having just now while thinking of the 1990s Blazers.

Cliff Robinson gotta have one of the best resumes for someone who is never, ever talked about.

He was an all-around big man who could play 3 positions and do just about everything.

An All Star, All-Defensive Team, and 6th Man of the Year. Three 20ppg seasons.

Went to the Finals with the Blazers twice but never won a ring.

First player in NBA history to get 1000 blocks, 1000 steals, and 1000 threes. (Still only three - Sheed and Dirk are the other two.)

Maybe the only player ever to have a top-10 scoring season (1994), top-10 blocks season (1993), and top-10 3pt-makes season (1996).

Only 24 players in NBA history have 19,000 points, 6,000 rebounds, and 3,000 assists. The other 23 are all in the Hall of Fame. (You could drop that down to 17,000/5,000/3,000 before you found any other non-Hall of Famers.)

And yet...completely forgettable. I was a Blazer fan and I never think of him except when I want to list who was on the team. I never hear anyone else ever talk about him. He'll never have a Hall of Fame case in his wildest dreams. Did you even know that a Cliff Robinson career highlights video existed? Had you ever, ever thought of looking for it?

Is there anyone else like that - someone who stacked up a resume over the course of their career but who never, ever gets brought up in bball discussions?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Terry Cummings

That's a good one, very similar resume to Cliff.

Mark Eaton. One of the best shot blockers and defensive players of all time in the 80s, but never talked about

Yeah, someone should do a 30-for-30 on him someday. Was working as a 7'4" auto mechanic at 20 and had never played basketball. Some JC coach or something discovered him and asked him to try out for the team, he was completely raw, didn't even enter the NBA until he was 25. Led NBA in blocks damn near five years in a row including 5.6 blocks/game in 1985. :merchant:

John Starks
Rod Strickland (other than the C.R.E.A.M. shoutout)
No one fukks with Karl Malone

Hell, a good amount of dudes on NBA Jam
Rod is another good one, another Blazer I forget about easy but he started for a lot of teams.

Karl Malone don't make sense to me though. And I think Starks is way overrated - if he hadn't played for New York then no one would talk about him at all.

The GHOAT Duncan, bruhs career came and went :ld:

Troll :camby:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
That's a good one, very similar resume to Cliff.

Yeah, someone should do a 30-for-30 on him someday. Was working as a 7'4" auto mechanic at 20 and had never played basketball. Some JC coach or something discovered him and asked him to try out for the team, he was completely raw, didn't even enter the NBA until he was 25. Led NBA in blocks damn near five years in a row including 5.6 blocks/game in 1985. :merchant:

Rod is another good one, another Blazer I forget about easy but he started for a lot of teams.

Karl Malone don't make sense to me though. And I think Starks is way overrated - if he hadn't played for New York then no one would talk about him at all.

Troll :camby:
Starks was a very good defender and actually undersized for his position. He was literally a great game 7 away from having his Jersey retired on the Knicks. He would have won Finals MVP as well. This is all after he almost won the Knicks the championship in Game 6 if it wasn't for Hakeem's game saving block. The way Starks was on that game that shot was going in.

Starks really did not accomplish anything of note so it is strange to see his name here. Won a 6th man award.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Dale Ellis came in the the league 15 years too early.

Another great one.

Another 10 years from now, people are going to look back at Shawn Marion like this.

He had a 20 & 12 season as a SF......He was only 6'7 and didn't really have the body type to

bang in the paint.That shyt cray
Shawn Marion by far. It’s not even close imo

Marion was the best rebounder ever for a non-big. And a fantastic defender too. And somehow could score despite that ugly-ass shot. And you're both right - ten years from now anyone who isn't watching 2011 Finals highlights or 2000s Suns clips is going to forget he existed.

Deron Williams
Gilbert Arenas

We used to have Deron vs. CP3 debates. Deron went from overrated to forgotten with the quickness. :dead:

Arenas would have been a legend if not for the injuries, now he's gonna be known for bringing a gun into the locker room more than anything else. :damn:

Monta Ellis. U find me a player wit a better resume to never make an all star team

His resume is inflated because he was such a volume shooter on bad teams....but you still right. :manny:

Antawn Jamison

That one was so good I read it as "Antoine Walker" first. :russ:

Completely forgotten already. :ohhh:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
One thing though, literally everyone named so far has a MUCH bigger name among casual NBA fans than Cliff Robinson does, and they all still come up in discussions more.

Terry Cummings and Dale Ellis are the closest, and they've both been out of the league a lot longer than Cliff has.