Morehouse gets $9 million grant to study STEM success at HBCUs

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Morehouse College Receives $9 Million Grant to Study STEM Success at HBCUs
August 20, 2020
As part of the establishment of the Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) Undergraduate Success Research Center, the National Science Foundation (NSF) donated $9 million to Morehouse College.

The center, also referred to as STEM-US, will focus on “increasing educational and employment opportunities within the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) field for minority students.” STEM initiatives at 50 HBCUs will be analyzed by professors and a model will be produced for other institutions to graduate more minority STEM majors. Additionally, the reasoning behind STEM success at HBCUs will be studied, according to officials at Morehouse.

The grant will also be shared with Spelman College and Virginia State University.

Morehouse is the top producer of Black men in the nation who go on to receive doctorate degrees in the STEM field. Additionally, one-third of all Black students who have hold doctoratals graduated with bachelor’s degrees from HBCUs, the college reported.

“Investing in the institutional capacity of HBCUs and developing diverse STEM talent is part of NSF’s longstanding commitment to broaden participation of groups traditionally underrepresented in STEM,” said Dr. Claudia Rankins, program officer in the Directorate for Education and Human Resources at NSF, in a statement. “The knowledge generated by this center will detail what practices make HBCUs successful in educating Black students in STEM, and the center will place HBCUs at the forefront of STEM education reform.”

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Why was this thread moved to the Root?

There is a standalone thread in the Root about the schools in the AUC, and we post updates about those schools in that thread.

MODS, why was this moved from TLR?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
HCBU's are certainly more successful than PWIs in producing Black male graduates in STEM fields, and they certainly could do even better, but I think 95% of the issue occurs long before the students reach college.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
HCBU's are certainly more successful than PWIs in producing Black male graduates in STEM fields, and they certainly could do even better, but I think 95% of the issue occurs long before the students reach college.
NSBE, or whatever acronym they currently use, had high school and junior high outreach programs in the past. To your point, they tried to identify and nurture the development of kids who had the aptitude and desire to pursue STEM careers.

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Why was this thread moved to the Root?

There is a standalone thread in the Root about the schools in the AUC, and we post updates about those schools in that thread.

MODS, why was this moved from TLR?

Because it would be left to die in The Locker Room.

I can move it back if that's what you want.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
NSBE, or whatever acronym they currently use, had high school and junior high outreach programs in the past. To your point, they tried to identify and nurture the development of kids who had the aptitude and desire to pursue STEM careers.
I wasn't part of those specific programs, but it's tough for me to imagine them having a large effect except in the lives of a select few highly motivated students.

The biggest issues are daily issues, and they need to be addressed with situations that affect daily lives. They mostly center around segregation (both racial and class) and the need for comprehensive school reform.

REdefinition

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Are there any hbcus that include a stem curriculum?

Top HBCUs for STEM majors

10 Schools on the list, but I gotta represent my Alma Mater

North Carolina A&T State University

North Carolina A&T is the top producer of black STEM graduates. It tops all colleges in graduating black engineers. A&T is also one of the top 25 producers of African-Americans with degrees in the physical sciences, computer science and math; in the top 50 universities in the nation for graduating African-Americans with bachelor's degrees in biological sciences.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Not to shyt on the contribution but that’s small potatoes. Georgia Tech got gifted a $2.4 billion dollar contract/gift from DoD along with a 4.2 million square foot R&D and office development in Huntsville. We tried to get A&M and some other HBCUs in on it but the director overseeing everything is one of the scariest c00ns I’ve ever met

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

North Carolina A&T is the top producer of black STEM graduates. It tops all colleges in graduating black engineers. A&T is also one of the top 25 producers of African-Americans with degrees in the physical sciences, computer science and math; in the top 50 universities in the nation for graduating African-Americans with bachelor's degrees in biological sciences.

Only HBCU I see myself sending my kid to, next to FAMU. I say this as an HBCU grad.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I wasn't part of those specific programs, but it's tough for me to imagine them having a large effect except in the lives of a select few highly motivated students.

The biggest issues are daily issues, and they need to be addressed with situations that affect daily lives. They mostly center around segregation (both racial and class) and the need for comprehensive school reform.
Teacher's Union and other interests would block any major school reform either on national level or state level.
Many eager ambitious reformers were humbled by the bureaucracy and political realities of trying to reform public schools.

Community will create more practical solutions or attempts than the system itself.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4

Aggie Pride!

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Teacher's Union and other interests would block any major school reform either on national level or state level.
Many eager ambitious reformers were humbled by the bureaucracy and political realities of trying to reform public schools.

Community will create more practical solutions or attempts than the system itself.

The majority of necessary reforms are not at issue with teacher's unions. Unions indeed block some shyt but most of the shyt that needs to change has little to do with that at all.