Moonlight reviews – "devastating drama is vital portrait of black gay masculinity"

Pseudo

All Star
Daps
Honestly I don't give a damn. It looks great so I'll check it out:yeshrug:.

Trailer had me hyped first time I saw it.

Last edited:

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Saw it. Story wise was good. Cinematography was phenomenal.

No gay shyt I think u see Nikkas kissing for about 4 seconds that's it. Nothing more than that.

Definitely gave insight into the dl or bi black male demographic that's "hood" for lack of better words and infecting black women. Was interesting and may be sensationalized but u can't give every perspective.

I didn't like how the main characters mom was a crackhead and how she abused him. Just seemed lazy, but otherwise the movie didn't dissapoint all the actors in the film were great

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps

No gay shyt I think u see Nikkas kissing for about 4 seconds that's it. Nothing more than that.

Definitely gave insight into the dl or bi black male demographic that's "hood" for lack of better words and infecting black women. Was interesting and may be sensationalized but u can't give every perspective.

I didn't like how the main characters mom was a crackhead and how she abused him. Just seemed lazy, but otherwise the movie didn't dissapoint all the actors in the film were great
:ehh:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I thought it was incredible......So many themes that resonate so much for me personally, though many are universal. It's a wrenching, often heartbreaking, devastating movie, anger, poverty, sexuality, oppression, simmering in the Miami heat of glimmering South Beach and the slums of Liberty City. From the beginning shots, the direction is perfect, the colors, the lighting, the shading, not a single misstep, as it immerses you in a coming of age story, that threatens to turn uglier, even as children play, innocence and pain not yet full known. There is a ugliness lurking below the surface, of childhood innocence and beauty, a world of male sexuality and early experiences, the intimacy of children's play, violence omnipresent as boys learn to be men, in an often unforgiving environment, which shows like few other movies I've seen.

I was in Miami for the first time over the summer, I stayed at a 5 star hotel on Collins, so I could feel the beach sand in the breezy heat, and the slight waves breaking as the sun sets over the stunning clouds, but I also was in Lil Hati, and Liberty City, so I know those neighborhoods, grills and rims on Chevys, abandoned houses and trap spots, people polite and kind, a world a lifetime away from South Beach, representing a horrific inequality, felt as Chiron feels the water for the first time.

But, the heart of 'Moonlight' is it's pure emotional expression, that leaves you deeply wounded, exhilarated, through every scene. The scenes of Juan and Chiron around the dinner table, their casual, but so significant conversations, 'you don't need to be anything now', the way Juan stares as Chiron walks away from the table..... The heartbreak of the cruelty of children, the cruelty of us all at times, the violence behind sexuality. The intimacy of first loves and first times, the hopelessness of romance, the bleakness of childhood, and one's own fate. It's not a gay movie, it's not a straight movie, love, compassion, friendship, sexuality are what the movie is about, (as far as the relationship side, though there is more) though the movie makes clear points about gay men, it's very restrained in it's portraits of sex, which is secondary to intimacy, trust, understanding. When Chiron says his lines at the end, is really what so much of that relationship is about.

I haven't seen a better, more emotionally compelling honest film this year.

Last edited:

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I thought it was incredible......So many themes that resonate so much for me personally, though many are universal. It's a wrenching, often heartbreaking, devastating movie, anger, poverty, sexuality, oppression, simmering in the Miami heat of glimmering South Beach and the slums of Liberty City. From the beginning shots, the direction is perfect, the colors, the lighting, the shading, not a single misstep, as it immerses you in a coming of age story, that threatens to turn uglier, even as children play, innocence and pain not yet full known. There is a ugliness lurking below the surface, of childhood innocence and beauty, a world of male sexuality and early experiences, the intimacy of children's play, violence omnipresent as boys learn to be men, in an often unforgiving environment, which shows like few other movies I've seen.

I was in Miami for the first time over the summer, I stayed at a 5 star hotel on Collins, so I could feel the beach sand in the breezy heat, and the slight waves breaking as the sun sets over the stunning clouds, but I also was in Lil Hati, and Liberty City, so I know those neighborhoods, grills and rims on Chevys, abandoned houses and trap spots, people polite and kind, a world a lifetime away from South Beach, representing a horrific inequality, felt as Chiron feels the water for the first time.

But, the heart of 'Moonlight' is it's pure emotional expression, that leaves you deeply wounded, exhilarated, through every scene. The scenes of Juan and Chiron around the dinner table, their casual, but so significant conversations, 'you don't need to be anything now', the way Juan stares as Chiron walks away from the table..... The heartbreak of the cruelty of children, the cruelty of us all at times, the violence behind sexuality. The intimacy of first loves and first times, the hopelessness of romance, the bleakness of childhood, and one's own fate. It's not a gay movie, it's not a straight movie, love, compassion, friendship, sexuality are what the movie is about, (as far as the relationship side, though there is more) though the movie makes clear points about gay men, it's very restrained in it's portraits of sex, which is secondary to intimacy, trust, understanding. When Chiron says his lines at the end, is really what so much of that relationship is about.

I haven't seen a better, more emotionally compelling honest film this year.

Nikka did u copy and paste this shyt

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
there's already a thread on this where @Gil Scott-Heroin gave his praises about the film just fyi....whenever its available to see im gonna watch it. I dont like super gay flamboyant shyt but this doesnt seem like that so im good with whatever. Plus my dude korey coleman over at double toasted said it was prolly the best movie he's seen this year

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

The director/writer's mom's were really like that and did that to them though :yeshrug:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Naomi Harris with best supporting

Maybe best cinematography

Overall, I have nothing on this film