Monique and Lee Daniels new horror movie "The Reading"

WhatsGoodTy

Ya feel me
Daps
Obviously this shyt ain’t gonna blow you away, but it was a nice little movie.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just watched this movie. I'm late, but the ending or "not the ending" or "the beginning" had me confused or maybe I'm overthinking things. Just to be sure I followed everything. Spoilers below, so don't click if you haven't seen the movie:

From my understanding, the so called "invasion" never happened and Monique killed her family. At first, I thought the "team" assisting the psychic and the psychic were the invaders UNTIL it was revealed Monique's character offed her own family for money.

It appears Monique's character killed off her family to prevent becoming broke, which is the same reason why the psychic was engaging in scamming people out of their money

We see the psychic kill Monique's character (or does she). We are left to question how she escaped. This isn't explicitly revealed, but earlier in the film, the psychic said she had been possessed previously by a spirit from beyond. Monique's character is the only one who knew the codes. Did the psychic become possessed by the spirit of Monique's character, which would explain how she escaped. We know the psychic needed the money which is why she goes on the talk show at the end of the movie, but is it really her or is she possessed?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also, I think the way this ended there has to be a prequel of some kind to really explain Sky and the events of this film as I have another theory that involves the sister-in-law of Monique's character and Sky.

The film opens with Emma (Monique) being a doting mother and wife. She sends the daughter to clean her room, sends the son to take a bath, tells her husband to wait for her as she has some "goodies" for him later. Emma is seen preparing dinner. While she's preparing dinner, four intruders enter the home, but the doors are not locked. (Side note: doors are a common motif throughout the film, which is only natural as the film has the element of a medium giving readings). Emma is listening to music as one of the intruders enters the kitchen. Suspicious, Emma instructs Alexa to turn the music down. She pauses and has Alexa to turn the music back up. It's as if Emma feels someone is in the house, but brushes it off without even scanning the room. She is then beaten by one of the intruders. We then see the husband hit over the head and killed, her daughter is strangled, and the son is drowned in the bath tub. We are led to believe that Emma was beaten to death. The movie cuts to a year later and we find that Emma lived, wrote a book about the invasion. Then we see four college kids performing a fake seance to scam a grieving son out of his money. This same crew is contracted to perform a seance for Emma to create buzz for her book. THEORY: The four intruders are the college kids contracted to perform a seance or at least three of them. I don't think Sky (the medium was a part of the invasion. She seems to be apprehensive about faking these readings, so she has a semblance of a moral compass even when the other three don't. I know, it is revealed that Emma actually killed her family to collect the insurance money, but things don't add up. Why is the sister-in-law living with her? Not only is she living with her, but she contracted these kids to perform a seance that will force them to relive the invasion. Her brother, niece, and nephew were killed. Who wants to relive that? It leads me to believe that the live in sister-in-law was in on the plot. The other question is why would Emma cut off her own finger? She's badly beaten, but we don't see how she received the other injuries when it is revealed that she killed her family (or did she). When we are shown the initial home invasion, why is Emma left alive?

Emma lost her finger because of course, the intruders took her wedding ring to collect money from it or at least to make the intrusion more convincing

The invasion actually happened. Emma actually did have her family killed except she isn't the one who killed them. The intruders were sent to the home by Emma, which would explain why she was left alive.

Emma's sister-in-law arranges the reading as is revealed in the movie. We are only given that she does this to build buzz for the book, but as I stated before, this doesn't make sense as her brother, niece, and nephew were killed. Theory: the sister-in-law was in on the scam to perform a fake seance to not only extort money from Emma for revenge on Emma, but with the intent to drive her insane. Additionally, she may have a more sinister plot in mind: hoping the seance scares Emma to the point of insanity and Emma is locked away. Not only does she get her revenge, but she ends up with everything. Where's the evidence for this? The sister-in-law is Emma's first victim after the Sky's team reveals that they have been doing this to scam money out of people. The sister-in-law already revealed that she had previously given them information about the family. Why does she only shoot Greg, but kills the sister-in-law?

Those children are not her biological children. They are adopted. She states she never wanted kids. While that is plausible, she does it make sense to raise a child up to a teenager and five year old, then suddenly kill them because you're about to go broke. It's much easier to keep up the ruse of a loving mother with children you didn't birth or haven't really raised for that long

Of course, she faked these. By Emma's own admission in the movie, she is calculating. Thinking that she has a speech impediment and that she needs a cane to walk makes people let down their guard. When she finds out that this whole reading was supposed to be a scam, she begins her murder spree

Last edited: